PFT on Kliff

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Probably Washington & that’s only because they were in by default due to playing in a horrific division.

And the Bears. And the Saints with Taysom Hill and the dead arm of Drew Brees at QB, Alvin Kamara out injured and Thomas injured or hobbled.

That's what good coaches do. Payton lost his QB, WR1 and RB1 for good chunks of the season and still made the playoffs.

Last edited:

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hmmmnnnnmm

Lot's of winning college teams struggle to attract defensive talent. Why does he get let off the hook like that wasn't his fault. It was his job to recruit players. Maybe, like he seems to do with the Cardinals, he spent all his time focused on his offense and not enough tine focused on the defense?

In total yards allowed during his time at TTU they were,

79 of 128 and went 8-5
125 of 128 and went 4-8
127 of 128 and went 7-6
Dead last of 128 and went 5-7
106 of 130 and went 6-7
119 of 130 and went 5-7

That's some consistently garbage defenses. The year before Kliff took over they had the 49th ranked defense.

Why couldn't Kliff attract enough talent to not be one of the worse defenses in football? The "difficult to recruit in Texas with the other teams" doesn't really wash, UTEP and North texas consistently fielded much better defenses than TTU. As did practically every other minnow school in college football as you can see from the rankings.

Maybe it was just Kliff?

Well, recruiting - so to speak - is no longer Kliff's concern and irrelevant to how we judge him today or in future.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, recruiting - so to speak - is no longer Kliff's concern and irrelevant to how we judge him today or in future.

True, but I'm talking specifically about his TTU days.

Whenever someone says Kliff wasn't good at TTU the inevitable response is that TTU couldn't recruit defensive players either because it's TTU or because of Texas competition. I just don't think that holds water when you look at the data.

He had consistently far worse defenses than other smaller Texas colleges and smaller D1 colleges in general.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love to know what growth you saw from year one to year two.

An honest shot? What would you consider an honest shot? 2 years is plenty to show who you are.

There DEFINITELY has been growth on this team in two years. Has their been growth followed by disappointment? Of course.

To say or assert that there has been no growth on this team at all in the past two years is disingenuous at best.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love to know what growth you saw from year one to year two.

An honest shot? What would you consider an honest shot? 2 years is plenty to show who you are.

So, you think the team is real similar to the team under the last head coach?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
So, you think the team is real similar to the team under the last head coach?

Ha, I judge Kliff based on what he's done, not on the roster of the previous head coach. His teams are consistently undisciplined, make tons of mistakes and penalties, and the collapse at the end of last year was even further evidence that he's never going to be a successful NFL head coach.

The Cards will win in spite of Kliff, not because of him. Here's a fun little read for all of those who continue to forget what an epic disaster KK was last year:

https://foxsports910.iheart.com/fea...f-kingsbury-is-the-cardinals-biggest-problem/

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha, I judge Kliff based on what he's done, not on the roster of the previous head coach. His teams are consistently undisciplined, make tons of mistakes and penalties, and the collapse at the end of last year was even further evidence that he's never going to be a successful NFL head coach.

The Cards will win in spite of Kliff, not because of him. Here's a fun little read for all of those who continue to forget what an epic disaster KK was last year:

https://foxsports910.iheart.com/fea...f-kingsbury-is-the-cardinals-biggest-problem/

We'll see. He should get at least 3 years and I choose to be optimistic about the upcoming season. That article would do nothing except give confirmation bias to the negative. Murray regressed after getting his shoulder hurt last year and it played a big part in how we fell apart too. We'll see what happens.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know where this is taking us, but bear with me.

The only way we'll put together a winning coaching staff and FO is if we get lucky.

And even if we hire shrewdly, we'll be up against elite coaching anf mgt talent in the NFL-West and other NFL newcomers.

Our only path to success (other than dumb luck) figures to be to (1) hire the best mgt talent we can, (2) get out of their way, (3) resist all temptation to " fire everybody" and (4) pray we get lucky

Everything else is a giant wheel spin - kinda like trying to hit a moving dart board blindfolded.

The end.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
We'll see. He should get at least 3 years and I choose to be optimistic about the upcoming season. That article would do nothing except give confirmation bias to the negative. Murray regressed after getting his shoulder hurt last year and it played a big part in how we fell apart too. We'll see what happens.

Oh hell yeah, I'm optimistic about the season, and choose to try and let the retention of Keim/Kingsbury not get to me. I'm mostly happy about the FA acquisitions, but I also believe that Kliff has shown time and time that he's in way over his head.

Hopefully Kyler can overcome it, but it's hard to envision top level success when you have inarguably the worst coach in the division.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
There DEFINITELY has been growth on this team in two years. Has their been growth followed by disappointment? Of course.

To say or assert that there has been no growth on this team at all in the past two years is disingenuous at best.

There's been growth on the TEAM that can easily be chalked up to player personnel. I don't see how KLIFF has had much to do with it. Others have already illustrated the problems he can't seem to fix.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I like how some people ignore that we added the #1 overall pick at QB and DeAndre freaking Hopkins plus whatever else to Wilks' roster, and people want to try to somehow give Kliff the credit for that. I bet Wilks could have gone 8-8 last year with Kyler running like he was. The funny thing is, a whopping 14 additional points could have given Wilks a 7-9 record, as he lost 4 games by 3 points or less that year.

And no folks, there is no E in Wilks.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh hell yeah, I'm optimistic about the season, and choose to try and let the retention of Keim/Kingsbury not get to me. I'm mostly happy about the FA acquisitions, but I also believe that Kliff has shown time and time that he's in way over his head.

Hopefully Kyler can overcome it, but it's hard to envision top level success when you have inarguably the worst coach in the division.

I've heard so far in camp KK is more focused on the whole team than just QB coaching.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's been growth on the TEAM that can easily be chalked up to player personnel. I don't see how KLIFF has had much to do with it. Others have already illustrated the problems he can't seem to fix.

Or to how Joseph has improved our defense. It isn't just personnel.

Plus, if you want to go the personnel reasoning for improvement, then Keim isn't as bad as we all think that he is.

We can't have it both ways...

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Growth on the team sure. Mainly from a vastly improved roster over the past 2 seasons and a rookie QB improving with experience.

Growth from Kliff though?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That's a superb article and I agree with every word of it. In fact, I have said nearly all the words in it right here.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a superb article and I agree with every word of it. In fact, I have said nearly all the words in it right here.

It is easy to find an article superb when you agree with every word of it...

I don't even agree with the title of the thread, but I can at least see that KK isn't even a good coach at this time. That doesn't mean he can't improve quite a bit this year.

Yet he isn't the biggest problem on the team; he probably isn't top 3.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that hard to understand. It relates to the fierce competition to attract/recruit players in Texas, and as a result, his teams suffered particularly on the defensive side of the ball.

This is not a realistic excuse having seen Baylor, TCU and even Previous Texas Tech teams all have success before.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Growth on the team sure. Mainly from a vastly improved roster over the past 2 seasons and a rookie QB improving with experience.

Growth from Kliff though?
My concern is that it's really mostly the addition of Kyler and Hopkins that are responsible for most of the perceived "growth." This roster isn't built for long term success right now. I'm not necessarily blaming Kliff or Keim for the weird way free agency worked this year, but with so many one year deals and so many older players, we're going to have to practically rebuild from the ground up again next year.

That's probably what frustrates me the most, I just want to be one of those teams that seems to have a shot every single year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My concern is that it's really mostly the addition of Kyler and Hopkins that are responsible for most of the perceived "growth." This roster isn't built for long term success right now. I'm not necessarily blaming Kliff or Keim for the weird way free agency worked this year, but with so many one year deals and so many older players, we're going to have to practically rebuild from the ground up again next year.

That's probably what frustrates me the most, I just want to be one of those teams that seems to have a shot every single year.

If it were only that easy...

I'd rather one win and 20 years of ineptitude, a la Diamondbacks. It is tremendously hard to be a team to have a short every single year.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Its amazing how we're an AJ Brown over Murphy (draft another talented corner later) or drafting DK or McLaurin over Andy how much things change.

So much firepower on offense we can get through Kliff's growing pains (Kylers as well)

And we'd have more belief in Keim's ability to draft.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am worried with how we ended last season. They had several chances to make the playoffs, and could not take advantage of any of them.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am worried with how we ended last season. They had several chances to make the playoffs, and could not take advantage of any of them.

That alone is growth. Just a few years prior was one of the worst teams this city has seen. (and we have had our fair share of them)

It might be playoffs or bust for KK. Hopefully Keim too.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
That alone is growth. Just a few years prior was one of the worst teams this city has seen. (and we have had our fair share of them)

Incredibly generous to describe anything at the end of the year as growth - we had a gilded path to the playoffs, and finish the home stretch 2-5, only needing to beat a broken 49ers team, or a QB who will likely never start another NFL game.

It might be playoffs or bust for KK. Hopefully Keim too.

We agree here, it sure as hell better be.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave