Penny vents... again

Bob Majerle

Reaction score
20-second timeout: Penny for your thoughts

PHOENIX — When Penny Hardaway arrived in the desert four years ago, he was so excited with his fresh beginning in the NBA he got a new tattoo: "Part II, Heaven Cent," it read. Injuries, however, have undermined his return to star status with the Phoenix Suns; he has missed 126 of 313 games, including 24 this season with a thumb injury. Like Lil Penny, the popular puppet who starred with Hardaway in Nike commercials during his All-Star run in Orlando with Shaquille O'Neal, Hardaway, 31, is a star of the past. He talked to USA TODAY's Greg Boeck about where he has been — and where his game is headed. (Related item: 20-second timeout archive)

Penny Hardaway is eager to display the form that made him an All-Star in Orlando.
By Roy Dabner, AP

Q: How frustrating have your four seasons in Phoenix been?

A: Very frustrating. It just went negative. I played injured, and when I played injured I was wasn't at full strength. I couldn't perform at the level I could perform at. I was just a body. I lost respect from the media, my peers and the fans because they thought that was my game, but I was out there playing injured. That was probably the worst mistake I made. When you're dealing with your legs, it's not like you're dealing with a finger or wrist or an elbow. That was my game, using my quickness and leaping ability to get around people.

Q: Where do you see your game now?

A: I'm very healthy now. If I was on a team that needed scoring, I could be a 20-point-a-night scorer, easily. But I've turned myself into a role player here. With the Suns not knowing I was going to be healthy this year, they actually moved on. They gave Joe Johnson the starting position and drafted Casey Jacobson. They thought I was going to be done, retired. By the grace of God, I came back and kind of helped the team. They should be happy about that, but it doesn't put me in a spot to where I'm a go-to guy anymore. I'm like a fourth option.

Q: Is that hard?

A: It is, because I still have a lot of basketball to give to a team that really needs it. I don't feel like I'm a role player yet. I thought when I was 35, 36, if I wanted to keep playing, come in and be a role player, I could defer.

Q: What do you see in your future?

A: I have three years left on my contract. I'm hoping to win a championship here and retire here in Phoenix. If it doesn't happen, I'll go somewhere. On this team, I'm the fourth option, so you're not going to see the Penny that's capable. Stephon (Marbury) handles the ball 99% of the time. He's so good, nobody can stop him. That takes me totally out of the fold. When I was in Orlando, I handled the ball, everything came through me. If that doesn't change, I'll be a lost name on this team as far as being one of the headline players in this league, because Amare (Stoudemire) has come of age. Shawn Marion and Stephon are the ones they are promoting here, so it doesn't look like there's a lot of room for me to be a 20-point scorer again. I have all the confidence in the world I could be at the level, but it's not going to be noticed when you have three other people being promoted over you.

Q: So what's up with Lil Penny these days?

A: He's been chilling. Nike made a decision to not have Lil Penny anymore. A lot of people loved that. If that ever came out again, people would take to it even more so.

USA Today

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Jesus,it starts again.

Why in the hell can't Penny keep quiet?

Which team exactly would need HIS 20 points AND would be able to take HIS contract?Could he name only one?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The article appears to be legit, but again, look at the post count of the contributor. This is just another troll, even if there is truth behind it.

OP
OP
Bob Majerle

Bob Majerle

Reaction score
I'm sorry. I didn't realize that if you were a new poster that you were automatically labeled a troll. I was just frustrated that Penny still doesn't accept his role and that he he will not accept the fact that he was the player that he once was. I believe that Penny is an integral part of this team, this season. But such talk is not constructive for a young team fighting for a playoff spot.

If you do not believe the article is legit, click on the link in the orginal post or visit USA Today.com.

se7en

Go SUNS Go
Reaction score
Elindholm, to be fair I just read this story in today's USA Today and was actually going to post it myself. I don't see the malice in posting this. I also found Penny's thoughts a bit disturbing. Hopefully he doesn't cause to much trouble with Marbury during the team's final run to the playoffs.

PhiLLmattiC

Last of a Dying Breed
Reaction score
It does sound a little disturbing but Penny's been alright with his role so far why would it be any different now.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all, welcome to the message board Bob Majerle. I love that name.

Right now the Phoenix Suns need veteran leadership as they fight for the last playoff spot in the Western Conference. Instead Penny Hardaway gives them this BS? I doubt it will have much of an effect in the locker room, but it can't help. Why couldn't he at least keep his mouth shut until after the season?

Penny Hardaway probably could contribute 20 points per game on another team where he was a key piece of the offense. It would probably be one of the crappie or teams in the NBA though. The top teams already have better players than him that they were a lot on for their scoring. If Billups wasn't playing so well as of late I would say Hardaway would be a good fit in Detroit.

Joe Mama

ThatsAmare

Reaction score
On this team, I'm the fourth option, so you're not going to see the Penny that's capable. Stephon (Marbury) handles the ball 99% of the time. He's so good, nobody can stop him. That takes me totally out of the fold. When I was in Orlando, I handled the ball, everything came through me. If that doesn't change, I'll be a lost name on this team as far as being one of the headline players in this league, because Amare (Stoudemire) has come of age. Shawn Marion and Stephon are the ones they are promoting here, so it doesn't look like there's a lot of room for me to be a 20-point scorer again. I have all the confidence in the world I could be at the level, but it's not going to be noticed when you have three other people being promoted over you.

This is what really stood out in that interview. He seems to think Marbury hogs the ball and that's why he thinks he isn't a star anymore. It looks like he's jealous of him and Marion.

He still seems to have the illusion that he can be a marquee player if he gets the chance, when he brings up the stuff he used to do back in Orlando godknows how many years ago. And we thought he had finally accpeted his supplementary role. He still has an ego the size of TJ Kidd's head.

Last edited:

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
If Billups wasn't playing so well as of late I would say Hardaway would be a good fit in Detroit.

Joe Mama
I'm not sure.
Hamilton is a poor defender and Penny is maybe an average one so their combo would be very weak defensively not to mention that neither Billups is a great defender.

But there is no way that DET could trade for Penny.They would have to trade at least 4 players (for example Rebraca,Davis,Atkins and Curry) and Hardaway's contract would still ruin their team pay-roll for a long long time.

hoopfan189

Reaction score
I think there is something wrong with Penny Hardaway. He really thinks he could score 20 a game? LOL! I don't think he's venting again, I think one of his friends from the outside is telling him that he's the man, that he should be shinning. He says that he has all the confidence in the world, but when you see him pass up shot after shot, you can clearly see that he lacks confidence in his game.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
My mistake, Bob Majerle. Usually when a brand-new poster puts up something negative, especially with zero contribution of his own, that person is a troll. But in this case, my snap judgement was incorrect. I apologize for the overaggressive stereotyping.

I think we'd all agree that Hardaway is frustrating!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
blah blah blah.

As long as he keeps playing as he is, then who cares what he says? If he really wants to be a 20ppg player, well, then restructure your contract and we'll trade him! Until then, as long as he plays stabilizing basketball as he has, then who gives a flying **** what he says?

PhiLLmattiC

Last of a Dying Breed
Reaction score
to me it didn't sound as if he was frustrated at all. He still feels he can score 20 a game but he knows that marbury, marion and now amare are the 1st, 2nd and 3rd options. The fact that he still thinks he can be a great player in this league maybe a little disturbing to some of the people on this board who are waiting for something to go terribly wrong with the team but rest assure penny knows his place and the first thing on his mind right now is championship.

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
I am not sure about this article. For some reason the "interview part" seems to hit a bell in my brain. I think I read these questions and answers MONTHS ago. Could the writer have taken an old interview and written a new introduction? I am not sure this is a recent legit interview!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson