Pennell lures 5 D-I transfers to GCU

HooverDam

Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/colleges/articles/2009/06/03/20090603pennell-CR.html

Pennell lures 5 D-I transfers to GCU
2 comments by Richard Obert - Jun. 3, 2009 07:29 PM
The Arizona Republic
Grand Canyon University basketball coach Russ Pennell has loaded his first recruiting class with eight newcomers, including guard Nick Witherill.

Witherill was given his release from Washington State to reunite with his former AAU coach.

The 6-foot-2 Witherill played for Pennell at the Arizona Premier Academy while attending Scottsdale Saguaro and Gilbert Highland high schools. He played a total of four Pac-10 minutes last season as a freshman.

Known as a shooter, Witherill will have three years eligibility at the Division II school.

He is among five Division I transfers. The others are 6-7 Gaby Ngoundjo, from Charlotte; 6-6 Rony Tchatchoua, from New Hampshire; 6-7 Justin Wesolowski, from Northern Colorado; and 5-11 T.J. Benson, from Weber State.

Pennell also signed three high school seniors: 6-5 swingman Steven Morin, of Saguaro; 6-10 center Brandon Duliakas, of Tucson Ironwood Ridge; and 6-3 guard Alyx Foster, of Phoenix Thunderbird.

After coach Tony Bennett left Washington State, and Pennell was hired at Grand Canyon, Witherill was interested in returning home.

“His favorite basketball experience was playing for Russ,” said Mike Witherill, Nick’s dad. “He’s a Christian coach. He’ll be with some of his AAU teammates. It was an easy decision for him to come back. He’s excited. … What is happening at Grand Canyon, it’s an exciting thing for Phoenix.”

Good for Coach Pennell, he always seemed like a really nice guy. He made it a bit tougher to cheer against UA. Im glad to see another basketball program developing in the Valley, its certainly large enough to support it. Maybe a little GCU-NAU rivalry will develop, that would be fun to watch.

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
Agreed! Great to hear things are going well at GCU. He did a great job his first year at the U of AZ and having him for another year would have been alright with me.
:)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/colleges/articles/2009/06/03/20090603pennell-CR.html

Good for Coach Pennell, he always seemed like a really nice guy. He made it a bit tougher to cheer against UA. Im glad to see another basketball program developing in the Valley, its certainly large enough to support it. Maybe a little GCU-NAU rivalry will develop, that would be fun to watch.

Why the HELL would there be an NAU/GCU rivalry?

NAU is Division I, just like UA and ASU. GCU is Division II.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Awesome I will be going to their games this season. They should offer free tickets to alums.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

Apparently there's plans to move GCU to D-I in hoops at some point in the near future. I still don't think there would be much if a rivalry, if anything it would only be Pennell grabbing a player or two out of Phoenix that might've gone to NAU in the past. And the process of moving up the Division I takes several years at which point I doubt Pennell is still around. Regardless, no matter how nice of a guy he is Pennell isn't a very good coach despite the fact that he has as many Sweet 16's on his resume as the coach across town.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently there's plans to move GCU to D-I in hoops at some point in the near future. I still don't think there would be much if a rivalry, if anything it would only be Pennell grabbing a player or two out of Phoenix that might've gone to NAU in the past. And the process of moving up the Division I takes several years at which point I doubt Pennell is still around. Regardless, no matter how nice of a guy he is Pennell isn't a very good coach despite the fact that he has as many Sweet 16's on his resume as the coach across town.

GCU is not moving up anytime soon. First, moratorium on that, second, GCU just got out of bankruptcy and is concentrating on righting their ship.

I can see some lower level prospects wanting to stay in town versus going out of town. But the lure of D-I basketball is great, even in the Big Sky level.

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score

Why the HELL wouldnt there be? Teams in different divisions can still play each other and GCU is planning on working towards becoming D1. Its certainly something that could develop down the road.

Once GCU moves up, even if its 5 years from now, I imagine NAU and GCU will play each other a lot because of proximity and reduced travel costs. Just like how ASU and UA baseball play each other even in non conference games.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Why the HELL wouldnt there be? Teams in different divisions can still play each other and GCU is planning on working towards becoming D1. Its certainly something that could develop down the road.

Once GCU moves up, even if its 5 years from now, I imagine NAU and GCU will play each other a lot because of proximity and reduced travel costs. Just like how ASU and UA baseball play each other even in non conference games.
Playing each other a lot and a rivalry are two completely different things.

The overwhelming majority of D-II powerhouse programs (which GCU is far from) struggle for many years after making the leap to Division I.

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
Playing each other a lot and a rivalry are two completely different things.

The overwhelming majority of D-II powerhouse programs (which GCU is far from) struggle for many years after making the leap to Division I.

You are the most pedantic poster in the history of the internet. I realize theyre not the same thing, however a rivalry doesn't grow if you dont play a team a lot. If they do start playing each other a lot down the road, theres a chance a rivalry could develop.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Because ASU would be a more LOGICAL rival, being in the same metro area.

I imagine, being so close, that GCU and ASU would play each other a couple times a year.

Can't wait to see ASU visit GCU's gym!!

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
^Thats a troll post, right? ASU and GCU are 'natural' rivals but GCU and NAU becoming possible rivals way down the road is ridiculous?

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
Makes as much sense...

Are you being intentionally difficult? ASU is an extremely large school with a long standing rival. NAU is a smaller school, as is GCU (though GCU is obviously much smaller), neither of whom have a really strong, traditional rival. Some may say Montana is NAUs rival, but no one at NAU really cares about them as near as I can tell.

Again, Im not saying they'll become rivals this year or next. Its a down the road thing. ASU & UAs 'rivalry' wasn't much of one until ASU grew into a larger school and stopped having their brains bashed in by UA in every sport. Rivalries takes time to grow.

But, Im pretty sure you're just trolling and trying to get a rise out of me by being intentionally stupid and difficult, so whatever.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you being intentionally difficult? ASU is an extremely large school with a long standing rival. NAU is a smaller school, as is GCU (though GCU is obviously much smaller), neither of whom have a really strong, traditional rival. Some may say Montana is NAUs rival, but no one at NAU really cares about them as near as I can tell.

Again, Im not saying they'll become rivals this year or next. Its a down the road thing. ASU & UAs 'rivalry' wasn't much of one until ASU grew into a larger school and stopped having their brains bashed in by UA in every sport. Rivalries takes time to grow.

But, Im pretty sure you're just trolling and trying to get a rise out of me by being intentionally stupid and difficult, so whatever.

Not at all.

You are the one that suggested a DIVISION II school should be NAU's rival.

I merely pointed out the stupidity of that remark, and how it made as much sense as suggesting that ASU become a rival for GCU.

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
Not at all.

You are the one that suggested a DIVISION II school should be NAU's rival.

I merely pointed out the stupidity of that remark, and how it made as much sense as suggesting that ASU become a rival for GCU.

Honestly, how many times do I have to keep explaining this?

Rivalries are not built over night. Im not saying theyll immediately become rivalries, but if GCU does become D1 sometime soon like they want (in 5 years or so) its certainly a possibility.

You're the one whos coming across as stupid because you seem to be saying "well X isn't happening in the present, so itll never happen!"

Look at the ASU-UA football rivalry, there were periods (early 1900s, early 20s, late 30s) in which they didn't play each other at all. Rivalries take time to build and only become rivalries when both teams have some success. UA-ASU hoops over the last 20 years hasnt been much of a true rivalry since US constantly killed ASU.

All Im saying is its certainly very possible for two smaller schools, with no current strong rivalries that are geographically proximate to one another to (down the road) grow into rivals. If you think thats an impossibility, you're mind numbingly stupid and Im shocked you haven't fallen into an open manhole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard