Pelicans @ Suns Tuesday Playoff game thread 4-26-2022 - Game 5

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol I don’t know if you’re being purposefully obtuse because you have no counter to what I broke down last night or just don’t understand that when the ball was shot - you know, the only time a rebound could be available - Ayton was in the paint 58 of 61 times. He wasn’t trapping at that point in time. The laws of physics don’t allow for what you’re suggesting is happening.
Based already on rewatching one quarter your breakdown doesn't hold up. I deny that he had time to reestablish himself and be set in the paint like he does when he plays zone on most of those plays. However, I am willing to rewatch the entire game and break down every single perimeter trap and rotation.

P.S. All because only two more centers in the NBA playoffs are head and shoulders dominating Ayton in rebounding. LOL.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So... two things:

1.) We have indeed been killed on the boards... though, much less so last night.
2.) The connection to us being "killed" on the boards and focusing on Ayton as the root cause, is wrong...

Ayton himself, and this team as a whole, do not equate to Ayton sitting under the boards and grabbing 18 rebs a game. Ain't gonna happen...Never had happened... and never will happen.

Jonas had 5 more rebs than Ayton last night... Could Ayton grab a few more here or there? Sure... that would be just dandy I guess. But in terms of the impact on the game, it wouldn't have mattered in any game of this series thus far, if Ayton had a few extra rebs.
And, in Game 3 where he grabbed 17 boards and out-rebounded Jonas by 6, as a team the Suns still were outrebounded by the Pels by 10 rebounds!

If the expectation is simply to compare Jonas and DA and that DA is supposed to outrebound Jonas, I believe it's a misplaced expectation. These games are so tight NOT because DA is being outrebounded by Jonas... Last night is a prime example, where Jonas had 5 more than DA, and yet, because the TEAM were much more aggressive and shot 37% from three and 50% overall, we won going away... Despite Crowder and Payne's foul trouble.

Who knows... perhaps at some point later in his career, or, maybe on another team, DA will resemble more of a traditional C and hang out in the paint to do nothing more than build-up his rebound totals... But for now and on the Suns, it's just a total improper expectation to think he should be outrebounding a dude like Jonas.
No one’s asking for him to outrebounded Jonas. Literally no one. Making up a straw man argument to argue against is kinda weak. But maybe not be outrebounded by 50% could be an attainable goal?

And you’re nuts if you think the rebound disparity doesn’t impact the game. It allows them second chances which have often been converted and stops is from getting a rebound and getting out in transition - something this suns team has excelled in and an integral part of their identity.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Jonas is leading the NBA playoffs in rebounding. Only Gobert is close. He is a big body. I would expect most opposing centers in the playoffs to find him a challenge.
Except he only averages 11 boards during the regular season. He’s a good rebounder. He’s Dennis Rodman against us.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one’s asking for him to outrebounded Jonas. Literally no one. Making up a straw man argument to argue against is kinda weak. But maybe not be outrebounded by 50% could be an attainable goal?

And you’re nuts if you think the rebound disparity doesn’t impact the game. It allows them second chances which have often been converted and stops is from getting a rebound and getting out in transition - something this suns team has excelled in and an integral part of their identity.
Jonas is outrebounding everybody but Gobert (who is getting almost 2 less) by a similar margin in the playoffs. What makes you think other centers outside of Gobert would do any better?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I get what you are looking at now. However, my observation has been even if the guy he guards isn't putting up the shot, often those end up with swing passes and a shot that go up where he is rushing back into the paint to try and secure a rebound. That isn't easy to do when running back from a trap or guarding on the perimeter. That's still much different then when he is playing zone guarding the paint. To me, that is a very reasonable explanation as why he doesn't secure more.
You’re still not getting it. These were all scenarios where he had already recovered to the paint. Not where he was rushing back to the paint. Start paying attention to it the next game if you don’t believe me. You’ll have to focus on Ayton for the entire defensive possession, which isn’t fun, so I recommend doing it for a quarter and then enjoying the rest of the game. See if you see something different.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except he only averages 11 boards during the regular season. He’s a good rebounder. He’s Dennis Rodman against us.
He has been a beast on the boards for the most part since March 11th but there is no excuse from him getting 25 the other night but that wasn't just on Ayton.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

The rebound disparity does impact the game... I am referring to the disparity between Jonas and DA.

And, if you're not hyper-focused on DA outrebounding Jonas, what is your point then? That DA should have "x" more rebounds per game? What is that number? How many rebounds do you think DA should have per game? And whatever that number is, I am virtually guarantee it wouldn't matter one iota in any game in this series thus far...

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re still not getting it. These were all scenarios where he had already recovered to the paint. Not where he was rushing back to the paint. Start paying attention to it the next game if you don’t believe me. You’ll have to focus on Ayton for the entire defensive possession, which isn’t fun, so I recommend doing it for a quarter and then enjoying the rest of the game. See if you see something different.
As I stated, I deny that is the case based on rewatching the first quarter alone but I will rewatch those plays I documented above and rewatch the rest of the game today when I get a chance. I could be wrong. I don't recall looking specifically at that but I will be open to it.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’m worried about him coming back too soon. He better feel 100+%

He won’t be 100% for the rest of the playoffs. My glass half full approach is that he’s not a stranger to hamstring issues so he knows his body. Also I’m not sure how healthy CP is or if he’s just wearing down. Another Alvarado special in game 6 and Paul could be exhausted by game 7. They want to end it.

Getting out of the first rd is still more important than being full strength for round 2.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Based already on rewatching one quarter your breakdown doesn't hold up. I deny that he had time to reestablish himself and be set in the paint like he does when he plays zone on most of those plays. However, I am willing to rewatch the entire game and break down every single perimeter trap and rotation.

P.S. All because only two more centers in the NBA playoffs are head and shoulders dominating Ayton in rebounding. LOL.
You use zone as the baseline because that’s not a baseline for the nba. Most players guard man defense. That requires movement. From all centers. You’re using a false benchmark.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You can search Ayton and see tons of nitpicking. Come on now. Even I am guilty of that from time to time.
During this series? Other than in the moment complaints about his hands or after his 10 point game, maybe. But otherwise virtually everyone on ASFN has been super happy with his overall effort and production.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Huh? OK, let's see yours. How often is that scenario actually happening verses a quick shot being put up before he has time to reestablish himself in the paint, and box out to secure the rebound? You talk about my faulty analysis, but I can come up with a specific scenario out of the air too.
Sigh. 82 asked me to define what I was looking for before the game. He specifically said it wouldn’t be fair to count dives back to recover in the paint as being in the paint possessions. I agreed with him. So I did not count those. Surprisingly enough shots typically weren’t going up at that point in possessions. I’m not making things up from air - we all did that before last night’s game - I’m talking about what I was specifically watching for based upon how 82 and I agreed on defining “in the paint.”

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He won’t be 100% for the rest of the playoffs. My glass half full approach is that he’s not a stranger to hamstring issues so he knows his body. Also I’m not sure how healthy CP is or if he’s just wearing down. Another Alvarado special in game 6 and Paul could be exhausted by game 7. They want to end it.

Getting out of the first rd is still more important than being full strength for round 2.
Honestly, Booker is in my eyes going to play tomorrow. And it makes sense. Do we really want his first game back to be a game 7 do or die? I sure don’t.

Let him find his legs in game 6 and see how he responds and hopefully we get a dub so we can move onto the next round.

I wish he were to come back at 100% but it’s the playoffs and we all know how stubborn Book is lol. If he can play, he’s playing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Jonas is outrebounding everybody but Gobert (who is getting almost 2 less) by a similar margin in the playoffs. What makes you think other centers outside of Gobert would do any better?
Lol. Jonas has only played the suns so far. And mostly (according to 82’s okay by play) against Ayton. That’s the whole point. We only know he’s crushing the suns. During the regular season he wasn’t crushing everyone else. We have no idea whether other teams/centers would better contain his rebounding in the playoffs other than the 74 games he played this season.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although it wasn't a monster game and not so much against Alvarado I guess I was right that CP3 would have a big game.

Was happy for Aaron Holiday too, great kid, he's a tweener he's more of a 2 than a 1 but he's too small but tough kid plays hard and had some nice minutes in the first half that I saw.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You use zone as the baseline because that’s not a baseline for the nba. Most players guard man defense. That requires movement. From all centers. You’re using a false benchmark.
No I am not. The benchmark is if he is able to reestablish position and get the rebound which is much easier if you are already planted there in zone verses running back from the perimeter. If we can't establish that there is a difference then there is no point in discussing. I am not even counting scenarios where he had plenty of time to get back because there were 3 Pelican passes before a shot went up or something similar.

Completed first quarter:

7:05 Mark No Time to Reestablish
5:46 Mark No time to Reestablish
4:41 Mark Trap No time to Reestablish (this was McGee)
3:50 Mark Covering Perimeter tried to get back but was boxed out

Two things. I am not including the ones where the trap/perimeter defense worked and caused turnover but were in similar spots on the floor where recovering to reestablish in the paint would have been difficult at best. There were a couple of those that I probably should include. I am also including McGee's above because in post game it was indicated that was the plan. Will post second quarter soon. Already doesn't jibe with your 3 times for the entire game.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The rebound disparity does impact the game... I am referring to the disparity between Jonas and DA.

And, if you're not hyper-focused on DA outrebounding Jonas, what is your point then? That DA should have "x" more rebounds per game? What is that number? How many rebounds do you think DA should have per game? And whatever that number is, I am virtually guarantee it wouldn't matter one iota in any game in this series thus far...
A single defensive rebound could result in a 6 point swing depending upon the circumstances (and yes off the top of my head I can recall two possessions where they scored 3’s on second chances). Depending on when that occurred in the game that 100% absolutely could’ve made a difference in one of the two losses.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As I stated, I deny that is the case based on rewatching the first quarter alone but I will rewatch those plays I documented above and rewatch the rest of the game today when I get a chance. I could be wrong. I don't recall looking specifically at that but I will be open to it.
I’m legitimately interested to hear what you see. Remember we are trying see if his positioning when the ball goes up was compromised because he was asked to defend outside the normal assignment of a center (so if he’s guarding Jonas and Jonas is outside the paint that doesn’t count because so would any center in that scenario).

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Second Quarter:
I’m legitimately interested to hear what you see. Remember we are trying see if his positioning when the ball goes up was compromised because he was asked to defend outside the normal assignment of a center (so if he’s guarding Jonas and Jonas is outside the paint that doesn’t count because so would any center in that scenario).
One quarter down. IMO, multiple scenarios in the first quarter where that was the case (including McGee). A couple scenarios where we successfully got the turnover but had we not? IMO, they would have been out of position.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No I am not. The benchmark is if he is able to reestablish position and get the rebound which is much easier if you are already planted there in zone verses running back from the perimeter. If we can't establish that there is a difference then there is no point in discussing. I am not even counting scenarios where he had plenty of time to get back because there were 3 Pelican passes before a shot went up or something similar.

Completed first quarter:

7:05 Mark No Time to Reestablish
5:46 Mark No time to Reestablish
4:41 Mark Trap No time to Reestablish (this was McGee)
3:50 Mark Covering Perimeter tried to get back but was boxed out

Two things. I am not including the ones where the trap/perimeter defense worked and caused turnover but were in similar spots on the floor where recovering to reestablish in the paint would have been difficult at best. There were a couple of those that I probably should include. I am also including McGee's above because in post game it was indicated that was the plan. Will post second quarter soon. Already doesn't jibe with your 3 times for the entire game.
I’ll go look at your marks later today.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is becoming unreadable, so I am just going to throw this in. It is possible for Ayton to play extremely well, and at the same not do as well as he could grabbing rebounds against JV. More than one thing can be true at the same time.
I’ve been saying this entire time. It’s other people claiming I’m bashing aytin.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard