Paul: All-Star; no Book

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
if that doesn't say everything about this season, I don't know what does.

but yeah... like @BC867 said earlier, the Suns really should have gone with a role playing PG. That would have done wonders for the team as opposed to getting CP3, having the 4th best record in the entire league AND two All-Stars with CP3 and Booker.
I said that I would not have made that trade. I was all right with moving Oubre because of Mikal and Cam, but I really liked Rubio here long term.

I was wrong. Plain and simple. Maybe age kicks in, maybe an injury comes, but so far it has been absolutely worth it. The development of Cam Payne helps that too. There is a decent player to take CP3's minutes and is a worthy injury substitute.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly I am going to be pissed if this team does not at least make the conference finals.

I don't feel there is any team in the west that should beat us in a series, except possibly the Lakers if AD is healthy.

We haven't seen the best yet of the Blazers or the Nuggets and the Clippers and Jazz have at least as much talent as we do. Other than a healthy Lakers team I don't believe we're outclassed by any WC foe but there's 5 or 6 teams that probably feel the same way we do.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With so many people openly coming out in support of Devin Booker being an All-Star, I doubt it stings too much how he got there. Lots of excellent players were passed over.

A Chris Paul and Devin Booker All-Star back court sounds pretty sweet.

Backcourt 2000

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns acquisition of Chris Paul is starting to have the same feel of the Suns acquiring Steve Nash in 2004 and the dramatic change he brought to Phoenix.

Of course there are a lot of differences but there is also a sense of familiarity.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy huh? It’s been a while. I wasn’t even very excited about them this year to be honest. Overall my interest in the entire league is at an all time low but I do find myself very invested in the Suns admittedly. And I can’t even believe what a difference just 3000 fans can make in watching a game these days. Real reactions and emotion. It’s makes it so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was watching much more the first month of the season, but still bought the Suns League Pass even though I kept posting about how I wasn’t TOTALLY keyed in emotionally. They’ve won me over at this point. I’m totally looking forward to every game at this point.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly I am going to be pissed if this team does not at least make the conference finals.

I don't feel there is any team in the west that should beat us in a series, except possibly the Lakers if AD is healthy.

I won’t go this far. Most young teams usually take their licks the first time they get into the playoffs and EVERY team has more experience than we do.

my bar for success with where this team is now is getting to the second round. Anything less than that is a disappointment and anything more will be gravy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't particularly enthused about the All-Star game this season but with Devin Booker and Chris Paul making the team, that's changed to excitement.

same.

even though I don’t think they should be playing it at all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won’t go this far. Most young teams usually take their licks the first time they get into the playoffs and EVERY team has more experience than we do.

my bar for success with where this team is now is getting to the second round. Anything less than that is a disappointment and anything more will be gravy.

The Suns need someone like Tim Thomas to drop in their lap again.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I was watching much more the first month of the season, but still bought the Suns League Pass even though I kept posting about how I wasn’t TOTALLY keyed in emotionally. They’ve won me over at this point. I’m totally looking forward to every game at this point.
Fortunately my parents are still paying for Cox and gave my their log in to watch via the Fox Sports Go app otherwise I’d be out of the loop. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm glad to see Book named an injury replacement (for the second straight year).

I had read that he'd be #2 to be chosen.

My main point was not about the Suns having two All Stars being named initially.
It was about the difficulty of the Suns having two Guards being named.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to see Book named an injury replacement (for the second straight year).

I had read that he'd be #2 to be chosen.

My main point was not about the Suns having two All Stars being named initially.
It was about the difficulty of the Suns having two Guards being named.

BS... you’re still contending they should have signed a role playing PG.

and I don’t believe for a second that you read Booker would be the number 2 injury player. I think you’re doing your normal self fulfilling prophecy crap... that doesn’t even come true, like you always do. But by all means, if you read that, you can prove it with a link.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Glad to see you're back and posting some, BC867. I hope you keep hanging around.:D:rockon:
Thanks. As I mentioned, it's an eye problem. I peruse the topics every few days and post occasionally.

I can no longer watch the Suns, Mercury (when on) or D-backs, but I do check the box scores.

And I balance that with a few concerts, mystery shows and documentaries on PBS and a Turner
Classic Movie once in a while. And CNN news to keep up on events. A variety in moderation.

I'll share the eye problem with you. It's not in the eye. It's sinus pressure on my left eye.
Whoever thought of something like that? But my eyes are 80 years old. I do take Allegra.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Book should have gotten in over CP3. CP3 is the difference-maker between this year and last, but that does not mean that he is the better or more valuable player of the two. LeBron was right, Book doesn't get the respect he deserves.

Glad they are both in. I am convinced that if the coaches had voted Booker in instead of Paul, the commissioner would have chosen someone from another team to fill AD's spot. Booker was more of an all-star snub than CP3 would have been.

JMO. Got that out of my system.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Book should have gotten in over CP3. CP3 is the difference-maker between this year and last, but that does not mean that he is the better or more valuable player of the two. LeBron was right, Book doesn't get the respect he deserves.

Glad they are both in. I am convinced that if the coaches had voted Booker in instead of Paul, the commissioner would have chosen someone from another team to fill AD's spot. Booker was more of an all-star snub than CP3 would have been.

This feels like you’re still holding on to your bashing of the CP3 trade over the summer. CP3 is the straw that stirs the drink for this team. And really any team he’s ever played on. Stats don’t tell the whole story.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

To me Paul is more valuable by every measure of metric or eye test. Booker is a great offensive player but when he’s the most valuable player on a team we’ve seen the results. I just wish CP3 was 2-3 years younger so our window was a little bit longer.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me Paul is more valuable by every measure of metric or eye test. Booker is a great offensive player but when he’s the most valuable player on a team we’ve seen the results. I just wish CP3 was 2-3 years younger so our window was a little bit longer.

I just don't think this is fair. Sure, Lebron can play with trash and carry them effectively but very few others can do that. Booker played on some horrible teams, expecting anything from him other than stats is unreasonable. Many of his former teammates are watching the game from the bench or handing out french fries at the drive-thru.

I'm not sure which player is more important to the Suns right now but it's not a clear win for Paul by any means IMO. I'd give the overall edge to Paul but Devin was way off his game through the first half of this season - since then I think he's been our best all around player.

Paul makes Devin's job easier and he makes the other players around him better but Booker makes everyone else's job easier too, he just does it in a different way. Paul's big advantage is his leadership (both ends of the court) but Booker and Ayton are the players that regularly draw the most defensive attention out there.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't think this is fair. Sure, Lebron can play with trash and carry them effectively but very few others can do that. Booker played on some horrible teams, expecting anything from him other than stats is unreasonable. Many of his former teammates are watching the game from the bench or handing out french fries at the drive-thru.

I'm not sure which player is more important to the Suns right now but it's not a clear win for Paul by any means IMO. I'd give the overall edge to Paul but Devin was way off his game through the first half of this season - since then I think he's been our best all around player.

Paul makes Devin's job easier and he makes the other players around him better but Booker makes everyone else's job easier too, he just does it in a different way. Paul's big advantage is his leadership (both ends of the court) but Booker and Ayton are the players that regularly draw the most defensive attention out there.

I agree with this. I don’t think there’s a GULF of difference between how important our best two players are. I’d just give CP3 the slight nod at this point as far as importance for all the reasons given above.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

It sounded like an insult but it’s just a fact. Booker and Paul were the best players on their team last year and we saw the results. There’s a reason one of then is loved by impact stats and the other is hated by them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave