Paleo Diet: Eat like a predator, not like prey.

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Further, I would surmise that the Amish are probably quite a bit more active in their everyday activities, which probably has a huge impact on overall health.
Interesting issue. Definitely some to think about.

Some biochemists and personal trainers suggest that diet trumps activities in terms of body composition/health etc. I realize it is up for debate, but in my experience changing my diet and exercising has done more for me than just exercising. If I am only exercising but I am eating crap, the food I eat can cancel out the benefits of the exercise.

Some of the above so diet is significantly more important.

Food for thought.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Interesting issue. Definitely some to think about.

Some biochemists and personal trainers suggest that diet trumps activities in terms of body composition/health etc. I realize it is up for debate, but in my experience changing my diet and exercising has done more for me than just exercising. If I am only exercising but I am eating crap, the food I eat can cancel out the benefits of the exercise.

Some of the above so diet is significantly more important.

Food for thought.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17sitting-t.html?_r=1

NY Times article that got me thinking about it...I think there is probably quite a bit of truth to it.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
But that type of assortment was all 3 meals a day. Breakfasts were gigantic, lunch was like dinner, and evening was actually often a little bit lighter fare. There's new research suggesting that a daily food 'distribution' like that makes a very real difference in reducing obesity.

When I visit my family in Italy, the breakfasts might not be "gigantic", but they always, always start with a solid breakfast nonetheless... usually eggs, toast with jelly and butter, fruit and espresso of course... Lunch is indeed their dinner. By far the largest meal of the day. Dinner is shockingly, yet thankfully much lighter. Both lunch and dinner are ALWAYS followed with a bowl of fresh fruits sitting in cold water. Apples, Grapes, Figs, etc.... And of course, both meals ALWAYS involve a glass or two of red wine. ;) They are all extremely fit with minimal body fat %'s...

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The free-range nature of the huge amounts of eggs, chicken fat, lard, butter, etc. they eat should make a big difference - esp since they don't get much fish.

I just ran quickly through the medical literature -- Amish have half the diabetes of 'normal whites,' which is a decent marker for dietary health in a large group, although one problem is the genetic narrowness of the fairly inbred Amish groups being studied. They have a 20-30% overweight rate on average (low vs. 'normals') - women higher than men -- but very, very low obesity and almost zero morbid obesity. They also -- from childhood on -- get a much, much higher level of hard physical exercise -- not just pedometer stuff, but hours every day of sweat-inducing labor. Frankly, that's probably just as much a reason for any positive health impact.

The Amish in my family eat a lot of fish. (Large lake 1/4 day's journey by carriage and it's an outing for the family.) And they usually bake it as opposed to frying it. (Which would probably be in lard or bacon greese.)

The key is the "sweat-inducing labor". Hard labor is also tied into being closer to God with the Amish. The harder you work and the more you sweat the greater the Glory you have given to God. Floors scrubbed on your hands and knees with a rag are a gift to God. Between a practically-Amish father and a Polish mother I am intimately acquainted with the holiness of Mr. Clean.

It's really pretty cool that way labor, food, faith, and family are all tied in to how they live their lives.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Amish in my family eat a lot of fish. (Large lake 1/4 day's journey by carriage and it's an outing for the family.) And they usually bake it as opposed to frying it. (Which would probably be in lard or bacon greese.)

The key is the "sweat-inducing labor". Hard labor is also tied into being closer to God with the Amish. The harder you work and the more you sweat the greater the Glory you have given to God. Floors scrubbed on your hands and knees with a rag are a gift to God. Between a practically-Amish father and a Polish mother I am intimately acquainted with the holiness of Mr. Clean.

It's really pretty cool that way labor, food, faith, and family are all tied in to how they live their lives.

My house is sinfully dirty - want to get closer to God over there?

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was making some genius point at the time. No idea what it could have been at this time.

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone interested check out the Latest in Paleo podcast. Good stuff.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Bump!

Been on a (mostly) primal/paleo for the last 2 months. It feels great and I am seeing more and more about it everywhere.

The number one take away is eat real food. Cut the processed foods, seed oils, added sugar, and grains and you are mostly there.

The best part is it isn't a 'diet' in that it is a temporary thing and doesn't require 100% strict adherence to a regimen to show results. It is a sustainable lifestyle that has real health benefits.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
NEVER! Never ever ever! EVERYTHING in moderation.

Even poison?

I don't want diabetes, heart disease, or obesity even in moderation.

Doesn't mean I can't enjoy whatever I want from time to time though. The best part about paleo is it isn't a strict regimen. It is a framework for giving your body the proper fuel to stay healthy.

What do you think you would have to give up that you couldn't live without?

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't want to get into a philosophical back and forth. Go for it. I dont judge anyones choices. I don't want to follow a framework. I want to be able to choose what I want when I want it, and I think Im more than capable to make those choices reasonably and am able to live with the consequences if I make bad ones.

Work with a girl who's husband is a bit of a nutbag about this stuff and essentially makes her adhere to this diet. Sure, she touts the no refined sugars, low carbs and all that, but as soon as I make a batch of ice cream, she freaking ravenously attacks it.

Paleo diet. Arent we well past that age???

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Don't want to get into a philosophical back and forth. Go for it. I dont judge anyones choices. I don't want to follow a framework. I want to be able to choose what I want when I want it, and I think Im more than capable to make those choices reasonably and am able to live with the consequences if I make bad ones.

Work with a girl who's husband is a bit of a nutbag about this stuff and essentially makes her adhere to this diet. Sure, she touts the no refined sugars, low carbs and all that, but as soon as I make a batch of ice cream, she freaking ravenously attacks it.

Paleo diet. Arent we well past that age???

Wow. Just wondering. I wasn't looking for a philosophical debate just a discussion about body and health and I genuinely respect and desire your opinion when it comes to food.

I don't begrudge anyone's choices either. There is no 'right and wrong' just choices and results.

I partially went along to start because my wife has had issues with wheat and I though it could help her. I realize it may not be for everyone but I has helped her and me even though I still enjoy a beer or a slice of pizza from time to time.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Please dont read into my post that I was trying to be terse or shut down conversation. In general, I just tend to shut off about this topic, as the girl I mentioned and her husband are so dogmatic about it, theres no discusssion. Apologies.

That being said, my exposure to it has been little to no carbs, little to no sugars (even naturally occurring ones). Little to no diary if I recall.

Like I said, I just want to eat. All of it. ANd no, not the poison of processed foods and such. I cant give up the carbs. Id die. Im pretty sure of it.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Please dont read into my post that I was trying to be terse or shut down conversation. In general, I just tend to shut off about this topic, as the girl I mentioned and her husband are so dogmatic about it, theres no discusssion. Apologies.

That being said, my exposure to it has been little to no carbs, little to no sugars (even naturally occurring ones). Little to no diary if I recall.

Like I said, I just want to eat. All of it. ANd no, not the poison of processed foods and such. I cant give up the carbs. Id die. Im pretty sure of it.

I keep it pretty simple. I eat the foods my ancestors evolved with. Fruits, veggies and meats (lots of berries). Makes sense to me. I don't think my ancestors evolved the right equipment to digest twinkies and soda pop.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-to-the-primal-eating-plan
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-succeed-with-the-primal-blueprint
The thing I like about this guy is he isn't militant. You can still get the benefits of eating primal at 80/20 compliance.

The biggest thing is the grains. That can be tough because it eliminates a lot of convenience foods. The carbs are lowered or raised based on your activity, weight goals, and how you feel. I am pretty sure 0 carbs isn't healthy in the long term or probably even possible. I still do dairy but it is full fat dairy and butter. I no longer drink a big glass of milk regularly just half/half in the coffee.
Since I have eliminated sugar like sodas and sugary processed treats I don't worry about getting too much natural sugars. I never had much of a sweet tooth anyway.

I feel great and don't plan on going back to eating the way I did before and I don't feel deprived. I can see how people could get excited and about this and be annoying in their advocacy. It would also be easy to become a food snob.

It is amazing how the taste buds change once you get used to real food. The processed stuff just doesn't cut it anymore.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn