Over There

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
:thumbup: Good Show a lot more graphic then I thought it would be. For those who haven't seen the previews its a drama all about the Iraq war. It starts Wed on FX. But there showing it all night tonight on Direct TV. Channel 581 the channel says its a DVR station, so it might only be for the Tivo users.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first episode is tonight on USA, I have it set in my Tivo already, I love good war sows.movies and I hope this one will not dissapoint.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got done watching it on TIVO. It is very intresting. Though I was never in combat, the way the chain of command worked and spoke to each other reminded me of my time. It is a graphic show, and I am happy that it doe snot seem to be holding anything back. I feel if you are thinking about inlisting, this may be a good way to push you one way or another.

Spoiler below

Angel, one of the new soldiers said "Do not ever do anyting out of anger" when he was refering to why he inlisted, and I was able to relate most to that. This is my new must watch for the summer.

Djaughe

Reaction score
I was fascinated with the concept of the show and have to say i was pleasently surprised. The first episode will probably be be the weakest of the series because they have to introduce so many characters.

I have no idea if the show is close to being realisitic - but several of the storylines reminded me of media news accounts. (see spoiler alert)

If I have to throw lint:

• Its difficult to follow the characters throughout scenes when they wear their full combat gear.
  • Part of me wonders if they should have a narrator giving some background info for the viewers...
SPOILER ALERT!

The scene inwhich one the characters loses his leg because of a roadside bomb...and then the next week previews of him wanting to go back to iraq reminded me of this story:

Soldier who lost leg in Iraq wants to return to action

BY ESTES THOMPSON

The Associated Press Associated Press reporter Allen G. Breed contributed to this report.

17 October 2004
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Five Star Lift

FORT BRAGG, N.C.

George Perez still feels the sweat between his toes when he exercises. He's still plagued with nagging cramps in his calf muscle. And sometimes, when he gets out of bed at night without thinking, he topples over.

Perez, 21, lost his leg to a roadside bomb in Iraq more than a year ago, but despite the phantom pains that haunt him, he says he is determined to prove to the Army that he is no less of a man -- and no less of a soldier.

"I'm not ready to get out yet," he says. "I'm not going to let this little injury stop me from what I want to do."

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really good show. Im sure it will get better as it goes along. My new must watch!

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I just watched it off my Tivo.

Definetly a good show!

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
i was a little disapointed.....hopefully i'll get more into it as it goes on.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Over There' Opens Strong for FX

Thursday, July 28, 2005

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com)

The premiere of the Iraq-war drama "Over There" delivered solid ratings for FX, continuing the cable network's string of success with original dramas.

The debut Wednesday delivered 4.1 million viewers, making it the most-watched show on cable for the night and landing it among the top 10 basic-cable series premieres ever. More than half the audience, 2.4 million people, fell in the ad-friendly demographic of adults 18-49.

"This is a fantastic series premiere number and we're grateful to [creators] Steven Bochco and Chris Gerolmo for delivering an extraordinary show," FX Networks president John Landgraf says. "To have our fourth consecutive drama series launch so successfully is another big step in the growth of FX."

"Over There," which received a big marketing push, has generated a high level of scrutiny for its subject matter: It follows a unit of mostly green soldiers on duty in the current Iraq conflict. Gerolmo and Bochco say they're being resolutely nonpolitical, focusing on the day-to-day lives of soldiers rather than off-the-battlefield concerns.

The 4.1 million viewers for the premiere put it in a tie for eighth all-time among series premieres on basic cable. FX also has two other debuts in the top 10, with "The Shield" (4.8 million viewers for its 2002 premiere) and "Rescue Me" (4.1 million viewers last year).

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another great episode, it got me alittle shook up with the graphic gun fights, but I think that is its strongest point.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another really good show. Im completely hooked now! Next weeks show looked the best yet! :thumbup:

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Another really good show. Im completely hooked now! Next weeks show looked the best yet! :thumbup:

Its great to have a new show to watch!

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Rescue Me and Over There, the two best shows on tv right now.
I wish FX broadcasted in HD.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another great episode-I just want to know how acurate it is. I have not heard anything negative about it so that might be a good thing.

OP
OP
CardinalLaw

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
The one tonight was the best yet. :thumbup:

From the previews the next one looked real good to. I can't see how it could get negative feedback.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
It seems like a jazzed up script, but it makes for good TV.

I can't imagine it is too realistic that a motor transport squad would see this much action and be this involved by themselves.

I would be interested to hear what Harley Rider or someone else that has been there would say about it.

I can't imagine the Pentagon likes it much. It is not exactly a recruiting poster.

OP
OP
CardinalLaw

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
maddogkf said:
great show. how can FX air the language & violence without the FCC coming down on it? Is it because it's cable?
I don't know? None of the other cable channels outside of the movie channels get away with it.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I heard recently cable is exempt... and sure, they say and show all kinds of stuff on cable!!

I am now hooked on this show - only have seen it twice, and the stateside vignettes are infinitely less interesting, but the Iraq stuff is very well written and acted.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another great episode. I am hooked. I like tonight how the squad was divided on what to do and the end they all had to be soldiers and just takes ordres.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another great episode tonight! Best show on TV! :thumbup:

OP
OP
CardinalLaw

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Yes tonights episode was great. It sucks we got to wait another week to see what happens.

LMAO Zach Morris, talking with the terrorists he deserves to be beheaded.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
Yes tonights episode was great. It sucks we got to wait another week to see what happens.

LMAO Zach Morris, talking with the terrorists he deserves to be beheaded.

No way Zach get be-headed. Screech and Slater will surely save him.

Great show. :thumbup:

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Well Zach got be-headed.

That was pretty shocking. I did not expect that, even though I guess I should have.

:eek:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn