Outrageous Foods

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
If anybody seen the last episode where they were at a Chicago hot dog place, they would have seen this potato cutter/peeler thing. I don't know what is called but I was hoping somebody could tell me.

It basically made a curly fry but by thin slicing the whole potato and it came as one long connected thin sliced potato that they called a "frip" because it wasn't a fry and it wasn't a chip.

I think it would make a nice addition to my kitchen gadgets.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If anybody seen the last episode where they were at a Chicago hot dog place, they would have seen this potato cutter/peeler thing. I don't know what is called but I was hoping somebody could tell me.

It basically made a curly fry but by thin slicing the whole potato and it came as one long connected thin sliced potato that they called a "frip" because it wasn't a fry and it wasn't a chip.

I think it would make a nice addition to my kitchen gadgets.

Didn't see the show. Was it like an old-fashioned, hand-cranked apple peeler? (Stick the apple on a peg, turn a handle and the apple gets peeled.)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't been there, but I know where it is. I will try and check it out.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Neither qualifies. But Chicago dogs are good.

I was told that the Bar/Snack Shop next to Gate K9 at O'hare makes an authentic and phenomenal Chicago Hot Dog. Tried it. It was tasty, but nothing to write home to Mike Ditka about.

Where can one find a top notch CHD near the Schaumburg/Hoffman Estates area?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was told that the Bar/Snack Shop next to Gate K9 at O'hare makes an authentic and phenomenal Chicago Hot Dog. Tried it. It was tasty, but nothing to write home to Mike Ditka about.

Where can one find a top notch CHD near the Schaumburg/Hoffman Estates area?
Who knows that area is too far away from real Chicago. Get into the city and go to Portillos. Get a dog and an italian beef, dipped. Then go back the next day for a combo, which is the beef sandwich with an italian sausage added.

"That is the Chicago way."

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Meh...I've heard so much about Portillos, and have to say I was pretty underwhelmed. I know it will sound like blasphemy, but I think Luke's of Chicago here in Phoenix is much better.

BTW, Hot Dougs may not be in the neighborhood, but is my favorite Chicago dog joint. Hard to beat their duck fat fries.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh...I've heard so much about Portillos, and have to say I was pretty underwhelmed. I know it will sound like blasphemy, but I think Luke's of Chicago here in Phoenix is much better.

BTW, Hot Dougs may not be in the neighborhood, but is my favorite Chicago dog joint. Hard to beat their duck fat fries.
Cannot say I agree. Luke's italian beefs are nasty. What did you order at Portillos?

Lukes? Ugh. My wife got sick from there.

The duck fries are okay, but Doug's regular fries are better.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Cannot say I agree. Luke's italian beefs are nasty. What did you order at Portillos?

The combo. I was really looking forward to it. Maybe I need to give it another shot, but I really think Luke's is superior.

Lukes? Ugh.

Did you dine in or take out? Take out I don't think it's that great. Try the maxwell polish, ask for the fries to be extra crispy, and get a side of gravy for dipping. Can't go wrong.

The duck fries are okay, but Doug's regular fries are better.

I think they're both great, the duck fat was just icing on the cake for me. A little cheese on top didn't hurt. If that guy opened a place in Phoenix, he'd be minting money.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The combo. I was really looking forward to it. Maybe I need to give it another shot, but I really think Luke's is superior.

Did you dine in or take out? Take out I don't think it's that great. Try the maxwell polish, ask for the fries to be extra crispy, and get a side of gravy for dipping. Can't go wrong.

I think they're both great, the duck fat was just icing on the cake for me. A little cheese on top didn't hurt. If that guy opened a place in Phoenix, he'd be minting money.
I ate in at Lucks. The coating of lardiness fat on the tongue was nastoid.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For Chicago hot dog lovers: My south side (her credentials) cousin has a friend who is opening a butcher shop in North Scottsdale next month. She has assured me he's going to carry Chicago style hot dogs. Once he opens I'll be trying them out and will let you know where his shop is at.

(Chicago food. If I lived there I'd weigh 500 pounds.)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For Chicago hot dog lovers: My south side (her credentials) cousin has a friend who is opening a butcher shop in North Scottsdale next month. She has assured me he's going to carry Chicago style hot dogs. Once he opens I'll be trying them out and will let you know where his shop is at.

(Chicago food. If I lived there I'd weigh 500 pounds.)
No kidding. A person has to be really careful.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luke's is about the best we can get here in Phoenix.

Portillos is on 3 or 4 other levels. It's that good.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luke's is about the best we can get here in Phoenix.

Portillos is on 3 or 4 other levels. It's that good.
fireball.gif

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DCR took me to Luke's the other day (Chandler location). I won't be going back. It was like powdered meat on a soggy bun. I couldn't believe that the meat could be SO dry.

Portillo's FTW!

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was always favorable towards Ted's on Broadway and McClintock in Tempe.

Ted's is good. Not Chicago style. More of a Buffalo thing. :)
Ted's is THE BOMB. Mmmmm...Ted's.

I remember my parents (from Buffalo) being so excited about them coming here way way back. They just couldn't believe it. I drive by all the time now but rarely go there. Too expensive to take the whole family--especially when they (the kids) don't appreciate the difference between a 99 cent pack of 8 hot dogs at the grocery store, and Ted's.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson