Our New off the bench back court of Landry and Cameron is now known as.......

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sham-Payne

lol. that is pretty awesome and the first thing that made me smile about the suns all day.

that shamet contract is just spitting in Ayton's face. what the heck has he proved to be an 11 million a year player... I mean, even Payne is only making six per year.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol. that is pretty awesome and the first thing that made me smile about the suns all day.

that shamet contract is just spitting in Ayton's face. what the heck has he proved to be an 11 million a year player... I mean, even Payne is only making six per year.

If the two deals went the other way, Payne was paid 4y/$43m and Shamet got 3y/$19m I would have been fine. Little overpay for Payne and a solid deal for Shamet.

The 4th year of Shamet's deal is a team optjon so it's closer to 3y/$31m in guaranteed cash which isn't bad. That 4th year is what really raises the total and makes it a bit confusing, IMO.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the two deals went the other way, Payne was paid 4y/$43m and Shamet got 3y/$19m I would have been fine. Little overpay for Payne and a solid deal for Shamet.

The 4th year of Shamet's deal is a team optjon so it's closer to 3y/$31m in guaranteed cash which isn't bad. That 4th year is what really raises the total and makes it a bit confusing, IMO.

Okay... but it’s not. And it’s a bad allocation of resources. I could have given a flying frack if Shamet didn’t come back snd that 43 million went to Ayton instead to bridge the MAX salary gap.

Unless we weren’t offering anything close to the Max, which if that’s the case, just nuke the stadium and call it a day. I mean... what if they offered Ayton a deal like Collins or a little more than JJJ. We don’t even know what was offered except the only thing reported was the Suns didn’t look at him like a Max player. That means the cobtract could have been even lower and didn’t even deal with escalators (which havent even been mentioned in any report).

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Okay... but it’s not. And it’s a bad allocation of resources. I could have given a flying frack if Shamet didn’t come back snd that 43 million went to Ayton instead to bridge the MAX salary gap.

Unless we weren’t offering anything close to the Max, which if that’s the case, just nuke the stadium and call it a day. I mean... what if they offered Ayton a deal like Collins or a little more than JJJ. We don’t even know what was offered except the only thing reported was the Suns didn’t look at him like a Max player. That means the cobtract could have been even lower and didn’t even deal with escalators (which havent even been mentioned in any report).

Whindhorst said we tried to get him for the max for 3 or 4 years but Ayton's side was all in on the full 5 year max. It was posted in the Ayton Plan thread just before the Kellan Olsen article, which dominated the discussion. So it wasn't money annually so much as the overall value.

Here's the post with the tweet...

Scared crapless of playing him beyond the CP3 era.
-
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

We'll be happy to have Shamet when the Suns trade DBook

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It’s called making 40 percent from 3 and being a good ball handler.

try looking at the contracts joe Harris, Huerter, or buddy Hield got if you want see how much 3 point shooting is valued in today’s nba.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s called making 40 percent from 3 and being a good ball handler.

try looking at the contracts joe Harris, Huerter, or buddy Hield got if you want see how much 3 point shooting is valued in today’s nba.

It’s called valuing a sixth man who’s never played a second for...

Forget it. You’re right folks. This will be a great player to have when we’re looking at the 2011 Suns stinking up the court again.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Whindhorst said we tried to get him for the max for 3 or 4 years but Ayton's side was all in on the full 5 year max. It was posted in the Ayton Plan thread just before the Kellan Olsen article, which dominated the discussion. So it wasn't money annually so much as the overall value.

Here's the post with the tweet...

This was in the article at ESPN. It appears the Suns never formally made the offer for a shorter max.

By Adrian Wojnarowski and Brian Windhorst:

In recent weeks, Phoenix raised the concept of a shorter maximum contract deal -- perhaps over three or four years instead of the full five years -- but never formally made the offer or broached the idea again, sources said.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just stop it. Ayton has gone nowhere, the whole team is playing Wednesday and they are going to win 60 games.

get some perspective.

I remember people telling me the same thing with Joe Johnson. I also remember them telling me that the pupu platter of Josh Childress, Hedo Turkoglu and Hakeem Warrick was going to keep us in contention.

And again, with the Amare situation, it wasn’t terrible that we didn’t resign him... it was terrible that we knew we weren’t going to resign him, got nothing for him and instead replaced what would have been his salary with a three piece plate of burnt chicken wings.

Which is what I see happening as we just threw a ton of cash at two role players, while pissing off the entire key to winning a title.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was in the article at ESPN. It appears the Suns never formally made the offer.

By Adrian Wojnarowski and Brian Windhorst:

In recent weeks, Phoenix raised the concept of a shorter maximum contract deal -- perhaps over three or four years instead of the full five years -- but never formally made the offer or broached the idea again, sources said.

Lol.
This story is just going to get worse over time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I remember people telling me the same thing with Joe Johnson. I also remember them telling me that the pupu platter of Josh Childress, Hedo Turkoglu and Hakeem Warrick was going to keep us in contention.

And again, with the Amare situation, it wasn’t terrible that we didn’t resign him... it was terrible that we knew we weren’t going to resign him, got nothing for him and instead replaced what would have been his salary with a three piece plate of burnt chicken wings.

Which is what I see happening as we just threw a ton of cash at two role players, while pissing off the entire key to winning a title.

Sarver was playing GM in those days.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sarver was playing GM in those days.

No. Bryan Colangelo was GM those days. Just like JJ is now. If you don’t think Sarver is still meddling in basketball decisions, you must have lobotomized the part of your brain that has been discussing that sit down he had with Ayton last week that gave you the heebie-jeebies.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
No. Bryan Colangelo was GM those days. Just like JJ is now. If you don’t think Sarver is still meddling in basketball decisions, you must have lobotomized the part of your brain that has been discussing that sit down he had with Ayton last week that gave you the heebie-jeebies.

I thought those were Sarver decisions.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Forget it. You’re right folks. This will be a great player to have when we’re looking at the 2011 Suns stinking up the court again.
He’s not our sixth man.

yeah he is overpaid. So is saric. Would you rather they just let him go for a 1 year rental after giving up our first rounder?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

this is not the joe Johnson situation.

first off ayton is under contract for this season.

if you feel you have to freak out you should at least wait till next off season. nothing of any importance will happen till then.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Sarver being Sarver.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just lurk here. So I don't get all the info. Is there serious talk of trading Booker?
No, there is no serious talk about trading Booker. There's been some concerns for awhile that he might demand a trade if we aren't competitive but trading for Chris Paul and then re-signing him have quieted those concerns. But now, with Ayton not being signed early to an extension a lot of posters are venting.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, there is no serious talk about trading Booker. There's been some concerns for awhile that he might demand a trade if we aren't competitive but trading for Chris Paul and then re-signing him have quieted those concerns. But now, with Ayton not being signed early to an extension a lot of posters are venting.
Thank you Steven. I would truly hate to see Booker traded.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Lol did that 2010 squad that made a nice run have any young talent besides Dragic?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol did that 2010 squad that made a nice run have any young talent besides Dragic?

No but we reloaded with some great role player after that kept us stuck in purgatory for years.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
No but we reloaded with some great role player after that kept us stuck in purgatory for years.

They should’ve traded Nash as soon as it was clear Amare was leaving. Those mediocre 2011-13 years were just as bad as the 16-19’ seasons. At least there were potential draft awards waiting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison