Our New off the bench back court of Landry and Cameron is now known as.......

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol did that 2010 squad that made a nice run have any young talent besides Dragic?

No but we reloaded with some great role player after that kept us stuck in purgatory for years
They should’ve traded Nash as soon as it was clear Amare was leaving. Those mediocre 2011-13 years were just as bad as the 16-19’ seasons. At least there were potential draft awards waiting.
yup. Was calling for that then and I remember people En masse telling me to calm down and have a little perspective! You don’t just trade Steve Nash!

This team has just been relatively predictable when it’s come to the things that weren’t no brainers, or easy decisions. And they’ve blown up on their faces multiple times. I fear the same here.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol. that is pretty awesome and the first thing that made me smile about the suns all day.

that shamet contract is just spitting in Ayton's face. what the heck has he proved to be an 11 million a year player... I mean, even Payne is only making six per year.

And Cam Payne has every right to be salty about that. After playing big minutes and coming up big in the playoffs taking a team friendly deal just to watch them throw money at Shamet. Lol

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Cam Payne has every right to be salty about that. After playing big minutes and coming up big in the playoffs taking a team friendly deal just to watch them throw money at Shamet. Lol

Agree. Cam Payne has a right to have hurt feelings as well.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree. Cam Payne has a right to have hurt feelings as well.

Oh come on...

I find the Shamet's contract surprising but trying to imagine that Cam Payne now has beef with the franchise is absurd. If not for the Suns giving him a chance Cam Payne wouldn't have an NBA career right now, and he showed that gratitude this off season. Shamet plays a different role and, as much as we all love what Cam Payne brought, Shamet has proved himself over 3 years as a contributor, opposed to Cam Payne's only recent emergence.

If I am Cam Payne the only move the Suns have made that would confuse me is signing Elfrid Payton. Payton is going to fight for minutes at the expense of Cam Payne's playing time... and Payton is a dumpster fire.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh come on...

I find the Shamet's contract surprising but trying to imagine that Cam Payne now has beef with the franchise is absurd. If not for the Suns giving him a chance Cam Payne wouldn't have an NBA career right now, and he showed that gratitude this off season. Shamet plays a different role and, as much as we all love what Cam Payne brought, Shamet has proved himself over 3 years as a contributor, opposed to Cam Payne's only recent emergence.

If I am Cam Payne the only move the Suns have made that would confuse me is signing Elfrid Payton. Payton is going to fight for minutes at the expense of Cam Payne's playing time... and Payton is a dumpster fire.

No one says he has beef but he is human. It’s easy to view these guys as not people but at the end of the day they are normal guys.

Anyone ever been happy about finding out the new guy makes more than you? Nope.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No one says he has beef but he is human. It’s easy to view these guys as not people but at the end of the day they are normal guys.

Anyone ever been happy about finding out the new guy makes more than you? Nope.
I am viewing him as human.

Shamet has been a consistent rotation player for 3 years running, meanwhile, just over a year ago Payne's NBA career was virtually dead, the SUNS giving him a shot is the only reason he got this contract.

The idea of Payne being offended by Shamet's contract is on the level of soap opera drama. Manufactured and nonsensical.

Now... AYTON on the other hand... he could certainly have a beef with Shamet being given that contract. The franchise seemingly indicating to Ayton that paying him a max deal is a luxury they can't afford until he proves it... meanwhile they're tossing out long extensions to role players.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am viewing him as human.

Shamet has been a consistent rotation player for 3 years running, meanwhile, just over a year ago Payne's NBA career was virtually dead, the SUNS giving him a shot is the only reason he got this contract.

The idea of Payne being offended by Shamet's contract is on the level of soap opera drama. Manufactured and nonsensical.

Now... AYTON on the other hand... he could certainly have a beef with Shamet being given that contract. The franchise seemingly indicating to Ayton that paying him a max deal is a luxury they can't afford until he proves it... meanwhile they're tossing out long extensions to role players.

Specifically role players who haven't yet proved as deserving as Ayton (Shamet in particular, who thus far hasn't proved a darn thing).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh come on...

Cam Payne has helped Suns the past two seasons.

It's the idea that the new guy on the team gets paid more guaranteed money over three seasons than he does. They are both backups who can play rotation minutes. I do like the addition of Shamet. At least we know he is not a rental.

Elfrid Payton is the third point guard on the team (Shamet can play some point guard as well) and more likely to give Paul some rest over Moore and Galloway last season.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
2018 - 8 games played
2019 - 8 games played
2020 - 60 games played

Shamet amassed 193 games in those same years.

6.3M v 10.75M

Seems like both were fair offers considering.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Specifically role players who haven't yet proved as deserving as Ayton (Shamet in particular, who thus far hasn't proved a darn thing).
Why does Ayton deserve the MAX? Cause of a good playoff run that the whole team contributed to? Yes he kicked butt and did things only some HOF have done...but he also went into the tank a few games where he was really needed. I want to see a whole season of work against AD against Jokic etc. As we know he turned it on in the playoffs...if he does it again ...you pay the man!

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I remember people telling me the same thing with Joe Johnson. I also remember them telling me that the pupu platter of Josh Childress, Hedo Turkoglu and Hakeem Warrick was going to keep us in contention.

And again, with the Amare situation, it wasn’t terrible that we didn’t resign him... it was terrible that we knew we weren’t going to resign him, got nothing for him and instead replaced what would have been his salary with a three piece plate of burnt chicken wings.

Which is what I see happening as we just threw a ton of cash at two role players, while pissing off the entire key to winning a title.
Doesn’t matter. The team still controls Ayton’s future and can still offer more than anyone else. If he takes another step forward this year than the 5 year max is almost certainly happening. With the way the league has moved towards making it easier for teams to keep their young stars I am not terribly worried about this.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t matter. The team still controls Ayton’s future and can still offer more than anyone else. If he takes another step forward this year than the 5 year max is almost certainly happening. With the way the league has moved towards making it easier for teams to keep their young stars I am not terribly worried about this.

Right. You mean the same way Joe Johnson took that step forward in 2004-5 and then Sarver stepped up and offered him the contract he deserved? Oh wait... that didn’t happen because Sarver STILL made Joe play the market, just as I assume he will with Ayton.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Right. You mean the same way Joe Johnson took that step forward in 2004-5 and then Sarver stepped up and offered him the contract he deserved? Oh wait... that didn’t happen because Sarver STILL made Joe play the market, just as I assume he will with Ayton.

The offer that Joe balked at was ‘before’ he broke out. The Suns would’ve matched the $70m offer sheet ‘after’ he broke out had Joe wanted to stay. I think Joe knew after Nash/Amare broke out that first year together that he’d never get the numbers/recognition he wanted.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
So what if Ayton plays the market. The Suns can match any offer he gets and if he takes another step forward in his development testing the market won't be an issue because the Suns will likely just give him the 5 year deal. Pointing out something that happened 15+ years ago is not exactly proof that it is happening again here. I mean even Sarver has come out since and said he made a mistake with that JJ situation and that suggests it isn't likely to happen again here.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what if Ayton plays the market. The Suns can match any offer he gets and if he takes another step forward in his development testing the market won't be an issue because the Suns will likely just give him the 5 year deal. Pointing out something that happened 15+ years ago is not exactly proof that it is happening again here. I mean even Sarver has come out since and said he made a mistake with that JJ situation and that suggests it isn't likely to happen again here.
That's one possible scenario. The other is you pissed him off so bad he orchestrates his way out which can happen in number of ways. Teams don't make it a habit of keeping players that don't want to be there. Also, Sarver not only didn't pay Ayton to avoid unnecessary distractions for the team but he also is holding on to two roster spots and exemption as well all seemingly to avoid the luxury tax. Which part of that screams Sarver learned his lesson?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's one possible scenario. The other is you pissed him off so bad he orchestrates his way out which can happen in number of ways. Teams don't make it a habit of keeping players that don't want to be there. Also, Sarver not only didn't pay Ayton to avoid unnecessary distractions for the team but he also is holding on to two roster spots and exemption as well all seemingly to avoid the luxury tax. Which part of that screams Sarver learned his lesson?

Yup. It’s this move plus the roster spots plus sitting on 6 million combined cap room.

And we’re seeing another scenario play out for a guy who signs a big contract and then destroys the team from within... Ben Simmons. Who’s to say Ayton doesn’t sign a forced match contract then demand a trade or not give great effort? It’s not like we haven’t that across the league from superstars like harden and now Simmons who want out.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
2018 - 8 games played
2019 - 8 games played
2020 - 60 games played

Shamet amassed 193 games in those same years.

6.3M v 10.75M

Seems like both were fair offers considering.
Also if you watched the preseason, Shamet looked way better than Payne.

What if Payne's season last year was flukish? I doubt it, but it happens sometimes.

Also, Payne did not have to take the Suns offer, he supposedly got offered 50 million by the Knicks, but decided to still go with the Suns. So really he only has himself to blame for taking that contract.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shamet is better at getting paid than Cam Payne, that's why Monty said Landry could marry his daughter but he's never given that endorsement to Cam Payne. ;)