sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I am curious if athletes pay attention to this

if the Cards and 49ers were competing in free agency for a player -- a 5.3% diff between CA and AZ in tax rates on a $15 mm signing bonus is nearly $800k

or maybe another way to look at it:

on the $135mm salary cap -- that 5.3% difference is $7.2 mm; or -- the equivalent of one extra big money contract

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
How accurate is this? Is it accounting for the "jock tax"?

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am curious if athletes pay attention to this

if the Cards and 49ers were competing in free agency for a player -- a 5.3% diff between CA and AZ in tax rates on a $15 mm signing bonus is nearly $800k

or maybe another way to look at it:

on the $135mm salary cap -- that 5.3% difference is $7.2 mm; or -- the equivalent of one extra big money contract

Looking at it from the other end, it makes you wonder why a free agent would opt to sign with a California-based team.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Looking at it from the other end, it makes you wonder why a free agent would opt to sign with a California-based team.

Or choose not so sign in FL, TN or TX where there is no state income tax.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if the Rams are going to compensate the players for the differences.

The Rams players now....

1. Likely have to buy new homes in the L.A. area. Much more expensive then St. Louis (and pay massive bubble within a bubble prices)

2. Higher taxes on their contracts in California vs St. Louis

3. Other relocation costs

California is definitely disadvantaged when it comes to salary caps and free agency.

Throw in the crime, corruption, and that it's falling apart doesn't help.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Throw in the crime, corruption, and that it's falling apart doesn't help.

Yes, because the millionaire players will also be living in Inglewood instead of the more illustrious suburbs in SoCal........

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yes, because the millionaire players will also be living in Inglewood instead of the more illustrious suburbs in SoCal........

Of course not. Why would you think I would think they would?

The crime, corruption, and the fact California is falling apart will effect everyone, as does the lack of water. The knock on effects are spreading everywhere. Crime travels. Rich people don't hunker down like hermits, they have to live in the broader community.

I'm sure there are plenty of illustrious suburbs in California, but it's becoming harder to maintain them when the society as a whole is collapsing there. (and I should say pretty much everywhere in America, but California is a few mile posts down the road)

I think you are missing my point, or you think I'm dogging Cali. I'm not. I think it's sad.

Last edited:

TJ

Reaction score

The crime, corruption, and the fact California is falling apart will effect everyone, as does the lack of water. The knock on effects are spreading everywhere. Crime travels. Rich people don't hunker down like hermits, they have to live in the broader community.

I'm sure there are plenty of illustrious suburbs in California, but it's becoming harder to maintain them when the society as a whole is collapsing there. (and I should say pretty much everywhere in America, but California is a few mile posts down the road)

Do you regularly wear tinfoil hats outside of your home? Because this is by far the most ludicrous, unintelligent, misinformed opinion of California I have ever heard. Please don't comment on subjects you know very little about. Instead, ask questions. As a resident, I'll be more than happy to help you out.

Crime rates are high in areas like East LA, Compton, Inglewood, and other rundown communities, but in the suburbs, we're doing just fine.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Do you regularly wear tinfoil hats outside of your home? Because this is by far the most ludicrous, unintelligent, misinformed opinion of California I have ever heard.

Crime rates are high in areas like East LA, Compton, Inglewood, and other rundown communities, but in the suburbs, we're doing just fine.

Wow TJ. Wow. I think you got defensive for no reason and now are hating on me for no reason. You think you have a reason, but you don't.

Ludicrous? Unintelligent? Misinformed?

Not even close. Why are you even trying to deny the situation California is in? It's not good. Why are you getting so defensive? Are you oblivious to the problems of your own state? Do you think good areas aren't getting dragged down right now? Do you think the people that are left behind in these areas won't react negatively, and that no matter where you live you can be impacted by that? Do you deny the possibility?

Do you think by bringing up these facts somehow I'm calling where you live a craphole? No, actually by bringing up these facts, it brings awareness to help make it not happen. Because TJ, despite what you call me, I hope the best for everyone on here.

Remember lots of those suburbs that are in East LA you reference were once upstanding suburbs that degraded over time. It's a gradual process, but one that is accelerating....and happening right now.

It's not just about crime.

The whole socio-economics of California are collapsing. Infrastructure, water, etc, etc. Water droughts effect everywhere. Not just run down areas. Do you think it's a positive that in California if you water your lawn a certain amount you get harassed and fined? Do you think that is normal?

The policies that allow this to happen, which I will skip, effect everywhere eventually.

I've spent much time in California, if I piece together all the vacations I've spent there... on my own, or at my dead grandmothers, I've spent over a year of my life there. I really remember fondly my times there. FWIW my grandmother lived in Bell, CA. I saw it get worse over the years.

I like California. I hate that many parts of it are descending, and I recognize that descent spreads.

I also realize that just because you live in an area, doesn't mean you don't have to face the consequences of being outside that area. You live in Rolling hills, does that mean you have ZERO chance to be impacted by the plight of other areas if you work, travel through, or shop in them? Of course you can be. Of course THEY CAN BE.

I recognize that this situation in addition to the other points you didn't get snippy at all combine into a situation which is not good for the players.

The ones that signed there now have to buy expensive real estate worth far more then it should be. They have to pay higher taxes even though they signed their contracts under the assumption of Missouri tax rates... so that's a hit in the pocketbook, thus negative. That's not being anti-tax or anything, just a realization that they were going to be paid a certain amount, and now because of the move, they are going to be paid less. That sucks. If your employer came in and said you are now working for 2-3-5 percent less, it would suck... would it not?

That's not unintelligent, misinformed, tin-foil, or anything else you lobbied at me. It's actually the opposite.

It's reality. Also what's reality, is that all of it is linked. If your state has policies for collapse, collapse happens, collapse spreads, crime spreads. Weird laws and policies take place, like ratting on your neighbors for watering a lawn. This is happening around you. It's not positive.

You think I'm hating California. Wow. I love California. I just wish it wasn't destroying itself needlessly. It was a beacon of light, now it's not. That's sad. That's reality. California is not doing just fine. Maybe you are. I hope you are. Maybe your locale at the moment is. But California as a whole, and many suburbs are not.

Lobbying insults at me won't change it.

If you want to lobby insults at me further I suggest you do it via PM.

Last edited:

TJ

Reaction score
So in short, the drought, which is also affecting Arizona, is going to cause massive crime sprees in areas such as Beverly Hills, Manhattan Beach, Palos Verdes, and other upscale suburbs?

Okie dokie.

The worst thing I have to do is not water my yard everyday and get my car washed at a local business. Sounds more like first-world problems to me.

As long as I can walk outside in July/August and it be 75 degrees with the ocean breeze, it's all good.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So in short, the drought, which is also affecting Arizona, is going to cause massive crime sprees in areas such as Beverly Hills, Manhattan Beach, Palos Verdes, and other upscale suburbs?

Okie dokie.

The worst thing I have to do is not water my yard everyday and get my car washed at a local business. Sounds more like first-world problems to me.

As long as I can walk outside in July/August and it be 75 degrees with the ocean breeze, it's all good.

Nope that's not what I said. You are taking what I said, and going way too extreme with your thought process and missing my point. You are jumping the shark here TJ.

You are indeed getting defensive, and now trying to play California off against Arizona.

You do realize you are fighting with no one right?

I'm glad you enjoy your 75 degree weather and ocean breeze during your summer.

You are right AZ also has drought. Except it's not nearly as bad as our situations are different. We have plenty of water for our population. We have CAP and SRP. We have no drought restrictions. In fact the Phx area uses the same amount of water it did in the 1950's. Could we be in your situation in about 20-50 years if our leaders (equally moron as yours) go down the 3rd world path like yours? Sure. But we're not there yet.

But if I had to guess, our leaders like yours will. It seems to be a nationwide problem at this point.

California used to engage in great water works, but that ended a long time ago. The population of California increased because of them. The capacity of people to live off the fruits of those water works has been filled and then some.

Those waterworks were a massive reason why California became what was it... the 7th biggest economy in the world? They propelled your state's economy. I'm not misinformed, rather quite informed.

Lack of water is destroying your economy, among other things. But that is a huge reason why, and one I think you are underestimating. With that not there, what do you think happens economically? What do you think is the ramifications of a depressed economy? Socially upbeat?

Couple that with a drought, or as many have said, a return to a more natural drier California since the 1900's were seen as a wetter then normal time for California, and the situation could continue to get worse. Are your public officials devising plans from that playbook? Or are they oblivious and without answers? Do they believe that water lawn stasi and conservation is the answer? Or are they working hard on grand plans to dramatically increase the water supply for your state?

So is it really even a drought, or is it the interplay of much higher population, a return to more normal drier conditions, and water mismanagement from public officials? So for now you are right, you can afford to get your car washed (many can't), and you don't water your lawn everyday. You say 1st world problems. What I recognize, is that those 1st world problems are policies laid down on the path towards 3rd world. What you see as small problems, I see as effect of policies that are dragging you down. You shouldn't even have these problems. You only have these 1st world problems because of the 3rd world policies of your leaders. (again I'm not saying ours are any better)

You say that's the worst thing you have to do... I'm saying... in reality let me change your statement to be more accurate. The worst thing you have to do FOR NOW is not water your lawn.

What I am saying is the policies California has undertaken are causing its destruction. There are nice pockets, for the time being, but eventually many of those will run down given the policies California has.

Look at Detroit. At one time it was seen as something like a Silicon Valley, but manufacturing wise. It was seen as one of the, if not the most advanced cities in America. Local and national policies destroyed it. Now it is like it is. The same thing can happen anywhere. Could you imagine Silicon Valley looking like Detroit? I'm not saying it will, but it's happened before, Detroit is a great example. A city can be a jewel one decade and a slum a few decades later. Again East L.A. wasn't always in the situation it is now. Just like many great areas now, won't be in a decade or three. How we get from here to there, depends on our policies. I recognize that, and there are certain policies in California that are taking it that direction. I'm sure there are some affluent areas around Detroit too, but I would say for certain there is spillover there too, and that despite the existence of those areas, things aren't good in Detroit or the Detroit area.

Additionally just because someone lives in those pockets, doesn't mean they are immune to the consequences when they find themselves at times, in other areas.

You also have to remember those upscale areas are few in number, decreasing, and the lower scale areas are increasing. That's not good.

As I've said. I love California. I'm glad you like it too. I hope you are part of those that help bring it back to its former glory. But I don't see the policies that are necessary for that to happen being undertaken by any of the parties in California at this time. Hopefully that changes. It's good for you. It's good for America.

Now for the Rams players, these sorts of issues are going to impact them. That's not positive. That's what I was saying. Some of them they faced in St. Louis, but now there are more. That's not positive.

Last edited:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score

I think you are missing my point, or you think I'm dogging Cali. I'm not. I think it's sad.

Cali is not collapsing, my friend.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The bonuses are the biggest hit that the players probably don't realize. No matter the industry bonuses get taxed at a higher rate - the 42% listed in the image. The income tax rate is fairly insignificant when you're making millions.

A lot of people are amazed at the signing bonuses, but the feds gobble that up. Any bonus - workout, attendance, play related, etc - are all taxed at the bonus rate.

TJ

Reaction score
When the Bloods and Crips start forming groups in my neighborhood, I'll formally apologize to you, 88. Rest assured, my family and I will be just fine.

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah because I'm sure none of these players can hire a lawyer or accountant to get them out of some of the tax hit. Nope, they're all just paying the full rate no questions asked.

I have a bridge and magic beans for sale, PM if interested.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Yeah because I'm sure none of these players can hire a lawyer or accountant to get them out of some of the tax hit. Nope, they're all just paying the full rate no questions asked.

I have a bridge and magic beans for sale, PM if interested.

Most of what they make is wage income -- very, very difficult to structure to avoid taxation

Much of their endorsement stuff they can set up an entity in another state to manage and shelter some income, but not wage income.