OT on Trey Lance

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bunch of us said it before the game but for those who haven't heard Lance has a sprained knee and if they didn't have a bye week this week it's not a given he'd be able to play. The MRI said it's a sprain not a long term injury but they don't yet know the full extent so if they had a game Sunday he might not have been able to play.

Talented kid but someone needs to work with him right now and getting out of bounds, sliding feet first not diving head first and not taking guys on straight up. I get he's a big strong kid but the way he plays he's going to have a VERY short career.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People here would complain about Kyler getting down or going out of bounds early in his career, but it’s the right thing to do.

I don’t want my QB running and fighting for yards in a week 5 game. It’s the most important position in all of sports you can’t have that guy getting hurt. If Lance keeps trying to lower his shoulder and take on linebackers he ain’t gonna last long.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stupid 49ers giving away so many picks in their draft for a potential franchise qb and in his first game pushing his running skills. He will have a very short pro career.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
A bunch of us said it before the game but for those who haven't heard Lance has a sprained knee and if they didn't have a bye week this week it's not a given he'd be able to play. The MRI said it's a sprain not a long term injury but they don't yet know the full extent so if they had a game Sunday he might not have been able to play.

Talented kid but someone needs to work with him right now and getting out of bounds, sliding feet first not diving head first and not taking guys on straight up. I get he's a big strong kid but the way he plays he's going to have a VERY short career.
I was at the game and walked away admiring his toughness. But that's about it. He honestly didn't impress me at all with any other part of his game, other than his running skills and toughness. Kid took so many hard shots and kept on ticking. That 4th and goal play literally happened right below me and just the sound of the impact was brutal. He bounced right up.
I was far more impressed with Cam Newton's first NFL start (against the Cards)...

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was at the game and walked away admiring his toughness. But that's about it. He honestly didn't impress me at all with any other part of his game, other than his running skills and toughness. Kid took so many hard shots and kept on ticking. That 4th and goal play literally happened right below me and just the sound of the impact was brutal. He bounced right up.
I was far more impressed with Cam Newton's first NFL start (against the Cards)...
I came away thinking Trey looked more like Sam Ehlinger than Cam Newton. They have quite a project on their hands.
To be fair Cam was a much bigger physical specimen and played in the SEC winning a Heisman. Not quite the same path to the NFL.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
To be fair Cam was a much bigger physical specimen and played in the SEC winning a Heisman. Not quite the same path to the NFL.
Hadn’t essentially taken almost a ful season off between college and pro

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Got rid of Collin Kap... Drafted a guy thats just like Collin Kap..
Without Kapernick's passing ability. Trey Lance shotputs the ball. He has poor mechanics and overthrows a lot of balls. It's all over his college game film and it seems no one is working on this with him in the NFL. If they can't figure out a way to seriously improve his mechanics, I sincerely hope the 49ers stick with him for the next few years, that would be good for the Cardinals' chances.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

I’m not sure what he was supposed to do differently on that play. It was an incredible read by Simmons staying with Elijah Mitchell until the last minute before peeling off to Lance. The Kyler and Russ’ of the league probably show run commit and flip it to the RB in that situation.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
People here would complain about Kyler getting down or going out of bounds early in his career, but it’s the right thing to do.

I don’t want my QB running and fighting for yards in a week 5 game. It’s the most important position in all of sports you can’t have that guy getting hurt. If Lance keeps trying to lower his shoulder and take on linebackers he ain’t gonna last long.

No, people here would complain about Kyler running out of bounds 5 yards behind the LOS instead of throwing the ball away.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Hopefully nobody works with the kid soon, or addresses any other problems with the Niners, Seahawks or Rams :jedi:

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think my assessment proved correct,” I was lucky to see a tape of the college game he played. He can throw, but is not polished at all. His best chance to win at this stage of his career is with his legs. No one is Kyler Murray, but he’s surprisingly strong and elusive. He can be a handful.”

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was impressed with the way Trey Lance ran through the Cardinals defense all the while knowing it was coming.

He has a chance for a bright career if he stays healthy and learns to know when and how to run. Also needs to work on his passing. The threat of him running alone will keep defenses on their heels.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am learning my lesson that Lamar is teaching me everyday for writing him off. So let's give Lance three seasons to figure it out.

Whether it is Vick, Newton, Lamar, Kyler there is no longevity for a running QB who accepts hits...

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lance is bad right now. One of the worst throwing rookies I've seen in some years, especially for #3 pick. But he might turn out, he's super raw and barely played in college.

The dumb part was the Niners moving up to #3 to get him and spending all that draft capital when they could easily have got him where they were.

I do wonder if they moved up for Mac and then let the media fake them out of it.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lance is bad right now. One of the worst throwing rookies I've seen in some years, especially for #3 pick. But he might turn out, he's super raw and barely played in college.

The dumb part was the Niners moving up to #3 to get him and spending all that draft capital when they could easily have got him where they were.

I do wonder if they moved up for Mac and then let the media fake them out of it.
He wasn’t falling that far.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I agree they were dumb for moving up with all that capital for lance. But don’t you think a game is a little quick to judgment?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If he continues to run like that, he's going to get killed. He wasn't avoiding contact, Lance was inviting it.

He's an incredible physical specimen, but the hits will add up.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he continues to run like that, he's going to get killed. He wasn't avoiding contact, Lance was inviting it.

He's an incredible physical specimen, but the hits will add up.

I actually missed this until watching it later on. On the play at the goalline where Simmons lit him up. I get why he didn't slide there by the way trying to score. But he actually fumbled on that play. I don't know if Chandler Jones got it inbounds or not but if you watch the replay the hit is so big that he loses the ball and Jones comes out with it. I think there's no difference between where the LOS was on the stop or the recovery but he actually lost the ball on the play.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson