OT: Not Your Father's Pro Bowl

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
So basically Cowboy and Jet fans can flood the ballots and stack the number of eligible players in the Pro Bowl fantasy "draft". Awesome.

Although it would be pretty cool to see Fitz catching passes from Brady or Manning for once.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Official Logo of the 2014 NFL Pro Bowl:

Attachments

• NFL flag football logo.gif
    NFL flag football logo.gif
    24 KB · Views: 159

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I actually kinda like the new draft format for determining rosters. It will take out guys who are in the game simply off of name recognition and the guys who actually performed the best on the field will be the ones to get in that year.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I actually kinda like the new draft format for determining rosters. It will take out guys who are in the game simply off of name recognition and the guys who actually performed the best on the field will be the ones to get in that year.

We've had this debate about the MLB All-Star game. Should it be a game of Stars like Jeter, Pujols, etc. Or a game of "best first half of the season players"?

The consensus is a combination of both. Without the big names the game will suffer in the ratings but you also want to reward guys who have played well April through June. Which is why the fan balloting works so well in conjunction with the selection of the other players by players or coaches.

Football just doesn't lend itself well to an all star game. You just can't play at regular season level in a game like that. On the other hand the baseball all-star game can be just like any other regular season game because they don't need weeks working together to be able to play effectively.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Not necessarily! What about Oline & Dline? Not stats brotha! Plus it said Peion & Rice will help pick the rosters...so it's gonna be same ol, same ol imo

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Not necessarily! What about Oline & Dline? Not stats brotha! Plus it said Peion & Rice will help pick the rosters...so it's gonna be same ol, same ol imo

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

It's like gym class all over again. The fat guys are gonna get picked last!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the changes. Mixes things up a little bit.

I might actually watch this year to see how things go. I want to be the fan who gets to pick a team.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Pro Football Hall of Famers Jerry Rice and Deion Sanders will serve as alumni captains, choosing two rosters with the help of two NFL.com fantasy users.

I didn't care about what Deion had to say before now I really don't care

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I have no problem with it .... doesn't sound that far off from what the NHL is doing with their all-star game draft and the draft itself is kind of funny in that the player pool shows up, dressed up and they make it an event ... then you get to see who gets the distinction of last man picked, teamate issues, etc ..... would be funny to see sherm & wilson on one team and lynch & earl on another

Main difference is that they are adding a "fan captain" to go with a "veteran alumni" captain .... just window dressing there

Biggest changes are the no kickoffs - which I'm fine with for the probowl, remove that risk and it was basically added nothing - the change in defense which I'm also cool with, let the guys play a little bit and the 2 minute drill

That will be the most interesting and new component that could either be neat or fail miserably - but no need to not try it

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with it .... doesn't sound that far off from what the NHL is doing with their all-star game draft and the draft itself is kind of funny in that the player pool shows up, dressed up and they make it an event ... then you get to see who gets the distinction of last man picked, teamate issues, etc ..... would be funny to see sherm & wilson on one team and lynch & earl on another

Main difference is that they are adding a "fan captain" to go with a "veteran alumni" captain .... just window dressing there

Biggest changes are the no kickoffs - which I'm fine with for the probowl, remove that risk and it was basically added nothing - the change in defense which I'm also cool with, let the guys play a little bit and the 2 minute drill

That will be the most interesting and new component that could either be neat or fail miserably - but no need to not try it

I think the biggest change is no more AFC vs NFC.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Could care less, haven't watched the Pro Bowl in years. A game with no meaning and a game that the players don't care about either other than the bonus money they get and with that in mind how does that affect contracts that have Pro Bowl selection bonus money in them?

Too bad they can't do something like MLB does and the winner of the All-Star game gets home field advantage in the WS.