OT: New Ray Rice video released

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The NFL needs a Kenesaw Mountain Landis to clean things up.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Steve Benson Cartoon:

You must be registered for see images attach

Since we're posting cartoons/memes germane to the subject at hand:

You must be registered for see images

Same prosecutor, same judge. On one hand they let an admitted abuser off with nothing more than a stern warning and on the other hand you have a single working mother who's only crime is not knowing that her Pa. concealed/carry permit didn't count in NJ who could ger 3 years in state prison. This is what the prosecutor offered her which is the minimum sentence for what she is charged with. Rice will have his charges dropped once he completes whatever bogus services he is tasked with completing.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The NFL needs a Kenesaw Mountain Landis to clean things up.

The NFL needs a distraction, like Michael Sam playing in his first game Manziel starting, and Tebow somehow getting back into the league, all at once.

Bobcat

Reaction score
I am sick of Rodger Goddell's lies back last winter TMZ posted the complete video on FOX 10 here in Phoenix. ,AZ. So known saw that videoTMZ played it across the country.

The Commish has a lot to answer for. The best thing to do is to REINSTATE ALL PREVIOUS DRUG SUSPENSION FOR THIS YEAR due to the revised Collective bargaining agreement DRUG REVISIONS IF THE PLAYERS UNION SIGN IT. Then in good faith Rodger should RESIGN.!!!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Getting into the morbid, I'm sure a lot of you are aware of the cycle of violence in these relationships and the statistical relation between abusive relationships and eventual homicides.

I was trying to think of NFL players, past or present that have had a violent relationship end in death. The ones I was able to remeber are...

Chris Henry, died falling off a moving truck while his girlfriend was fleeing from him.

Jovan Belcher, shot his girlfiend to death, then killed himself at the Chiefs team facility.

OJ Simpson...

Steve McNair, mudered by his girlfiend who then killed herself.

Rae Carruth, had his pregnant girl friend murdered in a drive by.

Very depressing list, I think I'm forgetting a couple too. I think its safe to say the NFL has a legit problem with domestic violence.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Getting into the morbid, I'm sure a lot of you are aware of the cycle of violence in these relationships and the statistical relation between abusive relationships and eventual homicides.

I was trying to think of NFL players, past or present that have had a violent relationship end in death. The ones I was able to remeber are...

Chris Henry, died falling off a moving truck while his girlfriend was fleeing from him.

Jovan Belcher, shot his girlfiend to death, then killed himself at the Chiefs team facility.

OJ Simpson...

Very depressing list, I think I'm forgetting a couple too. I think its safe to say the NFL has a legit problem with domestic violence.

You can add Blenda Gay to that list. He was a defensive end for the Eagles who would allegedly beat his wife, more so when the Eagles lost. She cut his throat while he slept killing him.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OJ Simpson...

Why are you depressed? Its a violent game played by violent people, this is the collateral damage that will come with it. Accept it. If women don't want to be beat, they should not date football players. :sarcasm:

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What pisses me off is that this kind of storyline gives my wife ammo after I had converted her to football: that it's a bunch of freaks amped up on testosterone and amphetamines and roids who can't control their aggression.

I don't think I'm alone in this. They better get a handle on it before, over time, it turns into wrestling or boxing, both of which are a joke of a sport.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What pisses me off is that this kind of storyline gives my wife ammo after I had converted her to football: that it's a bunch of freaks amped up on testosterone and amphetamines and roids who can't control their aggression.

I don't think I'm alone in this. They better get a handle on it before, over time, it turns into wrestling or boxing, both of which are a joke of a sport.

Wrestling has always been a joke.. Boxing just got one-upped by a better (more violent) product.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wrestling has always been a joke.. Boxing just got one-upped by a better (more violent) product.

Boxing has been a joke before UFC came around. It hasn't been relevant for a long time, probably since Tyson lost to Douglas but perhaps even before then. Holyfield in his prime was their last good product. That being said, I wouldn't even want the NFL relegated to a UFC product either.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
You do know that Landis was an unabashed racist who was responsible for keeping black players out of MLB, right?

No, I just knew he cleaned up baseball after the Black Sox scandal.
That was the extent of my analogy.

The NFL has a HUGE image problem that started before Rice with the whole concussion coverup, etc.... If they're not careful all 32 owners might find themselves in front of a senate hearing.

The issues are numerous and go WAY beyond Ray Rice.

Last edited:

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Boxing has been a joke before UFC came around. It hasn't been relevant for a long time, probably since Tyson lost to Douglas but perhaps even before then. Holyfield in his prime was their last good product. That being said, I wouldn't even want the NFL relegated to a UFC product either.

Any yet Floyd Mayweather, who has spent time in jail for domestic violence, is still 2014's highest paid athlete and will be raking in tens of millions for this fight tonight. Still have a hard time comprehending that.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not just sport that has a problem:

The police say that only 1 in 4 domestic violence cases in America are reported. Their most recent statistics say that there are 3, 561 incidents per day and 4 deaths. It's the number one cause of death for women between 15 and 34.

In the period in which 6,614 American soldiers were killed in Afghanistan or Iraq, 11,766 women were killed by their partners.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not just sport that has a problem:

The police say that only 1 in 4 domestic violence cases in America are reported. Their most recent statistics say that there are 3, 561 incidents per day and 4 deaths. It's the number one cause of death for women between 15 and 34.

In the period in which 6,614 American soldiers were killed in Afghanistan or Iraq, 11,766 women were killed by their partners.

Those are sobering numbers.

Steve

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
So the NFLPA will appeal, based on the fact that he was punished twice. I abhor what Rice did, but I think they do need to fight this based on the precedent it sets. If allowed to go forward, we will never know that a punishment is really a final punishment for a player.

Think about the fine PP21 is going to get for bumping a ref. What if we lived in a world where we were left to wonder if a suspension was still a possibility hanging over his head even after the fine was handed out?

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So the NFLPA will appeal, based on the fact that he was punished twice. I abhor what Rice did, but I think they do need to fight this based on the precedent it sets. If allowed to go forward, we will never know that a punishment is really a final punishment for a player.

Think about the fine PP21 is going to get for bumping a ref. What if we lived in a world where we were left to wonder if a suspension was still a possibility hanging over his head even after the fine was handed out?

They have to appeal. Not to show support to Rice or what he did, but to protect the rest of their members. I don't believe the public will see it that way, however.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know its probably been mentioned in this thread already. I have compassion on Jannay at the moment this happened. But she married him afterwards.

If this happens again, he deserves everything he gets (he does now), but you won't find me feeling that bad for her.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know its probably been mentioned in this thread already. I have compassion on Jannay at the moment this happened. But she married him afterwards.

If this happens again, he deserves everything he gets (he does now), but you won't find me feeling that bad for her.

The dynamic in a relationship between abuser and victim is often twisted and difficult to comprehend but it makes her no less a victim.

Steve

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't agree. It's actually common for battered women to return to the abuser. It's because of the psychological damage done by the act in the first place. Sometimes it's because of their own insecurities or verbal abuse that leads them to believe they can't do better.

My mother was never physically abused but mentally abused by my father. Dude was a mean drunk. She returned to him time and time again because he convinced her she couldn't do better and she also felt an obligation to keep the family together.

I don't think that makes her any less a victim just because she returns to that douche bag.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard