OT: Mulli Opinion: Lebron should go back to CLE

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
El BJ should go back to CLE. He has his rings. CLE has Irving and Wiggins and some other dudes. Might have pieces for Kevin Love.

Who in Cleveland doesn't forgive him?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
El BJ should go back to CLE. He has his rings. CLE has Irving and Wiggins and some other dudes. Might have pieces for Kevin Love.

If he wants everyone to love him this would be the choice. Miami fans could be bitter, but it would be hypocritical since they stole him away from Cleveland to begin with.

If he does go back to Cleveland, he needs some veteran help. Love, Carmelo, something.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. This is the way I see it. He gave them seven years and for seven years he carried that team and that franchise. They failed every year to provide him with quality teammates. In his mind he'd already gone far beyond what should have been expected of him when he signed his second contract.

Having the fans turn on him like they did and then having Gilbert attack him publicly and besmirch his character is still a part of him. Maybe he's forgiven the fans but he hasn't forgiven Gilbert. When he returned to Cleveland for the Ilgauskas night, he reportedly rebuffed efforts on Gilbert's part to have a reconciliation conversation.

I'm a pretty easy going guy and I try to not hold grudges. I figure life its too short for such nonsense. But if I were Lebron, that's one grudge that would stay with me for a long time.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you're looking at it the wrong way. This is the way I see it. He gave them seven years and for seven years he carried that team and that franchise. They failed every year to provide him with quality teammates. In his mind he'd already gone far beyond what should have been expected of him when he signed his second contract.

Having the fans turn on him like they did and then having Gilbert attack him publicly and besmirch his character is still a part of him. Maybe he's forgiven the fans but he hasn't forgiven Gilbert. When he returned to Cleveland for the Ilgauskas night, he reportedly rebuffed efforts on Gilbert's part to have a reconciliation conversation.

I'm a pretty easy going guy and I try to not hold grudges. I figure life its too short for such nonsense. But if I were Lebron, that's one grudge that would stay with me for a long time.

Steve

I don't even think the grudge is the biggest deal. That team STILL doesn't seem to know what they're doing. Bennett looks like a ginormous bust, Kyrie is signed for the long-term but has had injury problems throughout his career and Wiggins is going to take a couple years to mature if he's going to be become a great player. And for a guy who wants to win NOW, that doesn't paint a pretty picture for LeBron. Lebron and Kyrie as a 1-2 punch is solid, but with literally no #3 in the picture, for basketball reasons alone, Cleveland's a non-starter, IMO. Throw the hate LeBron got throw at him after he left and I think the chances of him going back to Cleveland are slim to none and slim just died of a heart-attack.

had they been able to flip that #1 pick for Love, I'd get there being a shot of LeBron going back there, but that didn't happen.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't even think the grudge is the biggest deal. That team STILL doesn't seem to know what they're doing. Bennett looks like a ginormous bust, Kyrie is signed for the long-term but has had injury problems throughout his career and Wiggins is going to take a couple years to mature if he's going to be become a great player. And for a guy who wants to win NOW, that doesn't paint a pretty picture for LeBron. Lebron and Kyrie as a 1-2 punch is solid, but with literally no #3 in the picture, for basketball reasons alone, Cleveland's a non-starter, IMO. Throw the hate LeBron got throw at him after he left and I think the chances of him going back to Cleveland are slim to none and slim just died of a heart-attack.

had they been able to flip that #1 pick for Love, I'd get there being a shot of LeBron going back there, but that didn't happen.

I don't believe Love would be enough. I don't believe Love, Lowry and Gortat would be enough. I don't believe anything short of Gilbert selling the team would be enough. Or at least not until Gilbert gives an unsolicited and impassioned public apology.

Dan can't just make an offhand comment in an interview and he can't step to the podium when it appears he has something to gain by his statement. He needs to publicly acknowledge that he unfairly embarrassed one of the greatest basketball players of all time and he did it solely because he was acting like a spurned lover. He might even get fined but he needs to be as committed to his apology as he had been when he dragged him through the mud several years ago.

Steve

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't believe Love would be enough. I don't believe Love, Lowry and Gortat would be enough. I don't believe anything short of Gilbert selling the team would be enough. Or at least not until Gilbert gives an unsolicited and impassioned public apology.

Dan can't just make an offhand comment in an interview and he can't step to the podium when it appears he has something to gain by his statement. He needs to publicly acknowledge that he unfairly embarrassed one of the greatest basketball players of all time and he did it solely because he was acting like a spurned lover. He might even get fined but he needs to be as committed to his apology as he had been when he dragged him through the mud several years ago.

Steve
Are you lebron's uncle?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you lebron's uncle?

Okay. Now put yourself in Lebron's shoes, would you forgive Gilbert? Have you met any 24 year olds lately or maybe ever? Did they strike you as people that would love to have their former employer hold them up to public ridicule and do so on every stage the man could find? Keep in mind his target group was the fans that meant the most to Lebron, his Ohio buddies. Even if Gilbert was right in what he said and even if Lebron was completely wrong in not just how he left but the fact he left, I'm pretty sure he'd feel justified in holding a grudge against Gilbert.

Steve

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay. Now put yourself in Lebron's shoes, would you forgive Gilbert? Have you met any 24 year olds lately or maybe ever? Did they strike you as people that would love to have their former employer hold them up to public ridicule and do so on every stage the man could find? Keep in mind his target group was the fans that meant the most to Lebron, his Ohio buddies. Even if Gilbert was right in what he said and even if Lebron was completely wrong in not just how he left but the fact he left, I'm pretty sure he'd feel justified in holding a grudge against Gilbert.

Steve

He should put aside his grudge. See thread title. haha.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why would he want to play for Dan Gilbert ever again? I think he would retire before he plays for that man again.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

even that probably wouldn't work. Gilbert didn't just burn a bridge with LeBron, he burned the bridge and then pissed on it's ashes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

This may be what is going through Lebron's mind now if he has not already made his decision.

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wheels are in motion. Why would Spoelstra, Arison, Wade and Riles all need to meet with El BJ at this point, if they weren't seriously concerned.

Woot.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wheels are in motion. Why would Spoelstra, Arison, Wade and Riles all need to meet with El BJ at this point, if they weren't seriously concerned.

Woot.

The wheels are coming to a dead stop. He's going back to Cleveland. As I said elsewhere, it stuns me but all signs point to yes on my 8 ball. It's a good thing no one challenged me to a bet because I'd have lost my shirt (and my pants and my signature and my screen name etc.). Personally, I'd rather play in Cleveland than suit up for Pat Riley but I didn't believe there was a chance in the world that Lebron would feel the same.

Steve

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wheels are coming to a dead stop. He's going back to Cleveland. As I said elsewhere, it stuns me but all signs point to yes on my 8 ball. It's a good thing no one challenged me to a bet because I'd have lost my shirt (and my pants and my signature and my screen name etc.). Personally, I'd rather play in Cleveland than suit up for Pat Riley but I didn't believe there was a chance in the world that Lebron would feel the same.

Steve

Wheels in motion. Can't wait!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Word is that Riley emphasized the "letter" and it's making Lebron think twice about Cleveland.

Where is McDonough? I could see him swooping in like a damned superhero. LOL

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson