OT: Justin Blackmon suspended 4 games

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9228472/justin-blackmon-jacksonville-jaguars-suspended-four-games

Justin Blackmon's latest violation of the NFL's substance-abuse policy will cost him money -- maybe lots of it.

The league suspended Blackmon on Tuesday for the first four games of the 2013 season for his second violation in less than a year. He will not get paid for the four-week hiatus. Maybe more importantly, the suspension triggers language in his contract that voids future guarantees.

Now, the Jaguars could cut him without having to pay about $10 million that remains on a four-year, $18.5 million contract.

"It's very disappointing," general manager Dave Caldwell said on a conference call with reporters. "We understand that this isn't all going to be an upward trend and we're going to have setbacks. To be honest with you, things like this are frustrating because it's an avoidable situation. That's what's real concerning and frustrating. At the end of the day, we're going to have 53 players on our team on opening day and we're just moving forward and we're not slowing down."

It's Blackmon's third substance-related incident in less than three years. He was arrested on a misdemeanor DUI charge in Texas in 2010 after officers caught him speeding on a suburban Dallas highway.

Wow, what a moron.

Fitz stay on Floyd. Show him he really "don't want it"....not this.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
jeez. Lotta kids violated the substance abuse policy recently...

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I have been hearing the players talk abotu Floyd and apparently he has been doign everything Larry has to prep and work out.... and then staying after and doing more. He was a notoriously hard worker at ND and most rookie WR's dont produce anyway.

I think Floyd is going to have a HUGE year and those prematurely calling him a bust will be eating crow.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
$5 says PP or someone from the Cardinals org has already emailed or texted this to the Honeybadger.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
I have been hearing the players talk abotu Floyd and apparently he has been doign everything Larry has to prep and work out.... and then staying after and doing more. He was a notoriously hard worker at ND and most rookie WR's dont produce anyway.

I think Floyd is going to have a HUGE year and those prematurely calling him a bust will be eating crow.

I loved the Floyd pick. The only player I wanted more was Decastro but

not by much. I read in a football preview last year the Cards had Floyd

at number seven overall on their board

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
sure seems that way. I don't understand the allure. Those guys have to work so hard, pot seems the exact opposite of what they would want. Maybe to boost their appetite?

Not that I am speakign from experience or anything but when you lift a bunch of weight, have your adrenaline go full bore all day, and get hit by a bunch of 300lb dudes as a job....

well then you can understand why some guys would want to take the edge off.

Aint that right DDawg!:D

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
The Jags should of let the Rams have him:D I bet Jerry Jones is already

on the phone asking about him

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
sure seems that way. I don't understand the allure. Those guys have to work so hard, pot seems the exact opposite of what they would want. Maybe to boost their appetite?
Nothing to do with hunger or trying to get hungry. While weed isn't addictive to the point that you will have withdrawls, it's just people thinking they can beat the system. People that have millions to lose, people that lose their freedom, folks that lose their jobby jobs....they are not chemically dependant on the maryjane, they just like life better on it. I never dropped a dirty U.A., but I've pretty much smoked every single day since I got off probation (well over a decade ago). I wonder if these cat's go and get their medical cards, but since it isn't legal in the Fed's eyes, I imagine that's what the NFL's policies will be on the matter considering states laws vary from state to state. But some guys go and play in Florida because of the tax breaks...I can't wait till people go play for the Chickens or Broncos...as legal state residents, with some Johnny courtroom Cockring, the bong is the limit.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not that I am speakign from experience or anything but when you lift a bunch of weight, have your adrenaline go full bore all day, and get hit by a bunch of 300lb dudes as a job....

I dunno. I just don't see it. I never saw any positive physical effects from pot. Aside from being able to eat more. When I was younger, I used to box 3 nights a week, weight train 3 nights, and rest 1. To be honest. I was usually so exhausted from the gym or so full from forcing down obscene amounts of food, that there was no edge to take off. I would sleep like a rock every night. I think it's more about peer pressure with these kids. They're young, probably still have many screw-up friends that come around "come on man. Hit it once. It wont hurt you any"

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

100% - helps you relax when its over.

Also - sure it could have to do with eating - look at phelps, its hard to eat that much food without help. pot is a performance enhancer for Hardcore strength training :)

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno. I just don't see it. I never saw any positive physical effects from pot. Aside from being able to eat more. When I was younger, I used to box 3 nights a week, weight train 3 nights, and rest 1. To be honest. I was usually so exhausted from the gym or so full from forcing down obscene amounts of food, that there was no edge to take off. I would sleep like a rock every night. I think it's more about peer pressure with these kids. They're young, probably still have many screw-up friends that come around "come on man. Hit it once. It wont hurt you any"

sure, but if you liked to get high, you could get high. its not a matter of not being able to sleep.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nothing to do with hunger or trying to get hungry. While weed isn't addictive to the point that you will have withdrawls, it's just people thinking they can beat the system. People that have millions to lose, people that lose their freedom, folks that lose their jobby jobs....they are not chemically dependant on the maryjane, they just like life better on it. I never dropped a dirty U.A., but I've pretty much smoked every single day since I got off probation (well over a decade ago). I wonder if these cat's go and get their medical cards, but since it isn't legal in the Fed's eyes, I imagine that's what the NFL's policies will be on the matter considering states laws vary from state to state. But some guys go and play in Florida because of the tax breaks...I can't wait till people go play for the Chickens or Broncos...as legal state residents, with some Johnny courtroom Cockring, the bong is the limit.
to each his own. I don't care for pot. I'd rather have a few beers. But that's just my preference. I don't see anything wrong with people that do enjoy a joint here and there. I just don't see it as very harmful. However, the rules are the rules. Sure, they could get a card to legally smoke on a state level, but it's still against the rules. And even if the feds make it legal on a national level, I still expect it to be banned. You could go to a doctor and get put on hormone replacement therapy for legal steroids too. But it's still against their rules

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
sure, but if you liked to get high, you could get high. its not a matter of not being able to sleep.

just saying, I was beyond relaxed on my downtime when I was really pushing myself physically. And these guys, I can only imagine, push themselves quite a bit harder still

OP
OP
CardsFan88

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No differant from maybe our best defensive player. He's an idiot too ;)

Of course. Granted we don't know the particulars, but remember he could lose a ton more than just 4 game checks. Remember the Jags were concerned with his history so had him sign that deal that they could cut him easily.

Now I know he isn't going to be cut this year, but anytime in the next three seasons he could be cut most likely since he already triggered the clause. Perhaps there is some time horizon window to do it, or simply a clause that triggers it at the teams discretion.

So another mess up or his play doesn't continue the improvement he showed in the 2nd half of last season, they could cut ties and he loses more money than a person just cut for performance reasons. He basically just made his contract for the 2013, 2014, and 2015 seasons easy to tear up.

I'm not sure if they counted his DUI as the 1st, or they just entered him into the program. But they are talking about it as the 2nd offense, so it's possible he's messed up twice since entering the league.

So it has the potential to hit him harder then the average Joe.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Of course. Granted we don't know the particulars, but remember he could lose a ton more than just 4 game checks. Remember the Jags were concerned with his history so had him sign that deal that they could cut him easily.

Now I know he isn't going to be cut this year, but anytime in the next three seasons he could be cut most likely since he already triggered the clause. Perhaps there is some time horizon window to do it, or simply a clause that triggers it at the teams discretion.

So another mess up or his play doesn't continue the improvement he showed in the 2nd half of last season, they could cut ties and he loses more money than a person just cut for performance reasons. He basically just made his contract for the 2013, 2014, and 2015 seasons easy to tear up.

I'm not sure if they counted his DUI as the 1st, or they just entered him into the program. But they are talking about it as the 2nd offense, so it's possible he's messed up twice since entering the league.

So it has the potential to hit him harder then the average Joe.

he's already losing out on 25% of his season salary. So it will already be a significant hit on his wallet. I doubt they cut him as long as he doesn't get suspended again though. He had a good year last year and will likely only improve. Once he gets back on the field of course

OP
OP
CardsFan88

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
he's already losing out on 25% of his season salary. So it will already be a significant hit on his wallet. I doubt they cut him as long as he doesn't get suspended again though. He had a good year last year and will likely only improve. Once he gets back on the field of course

Oh yeah that's true, but he could lose up to 10 million now or something like that. But again if they cut him before the 2014 season it could be something like 6-7 million.

Any player can be cut and lose their salary, but the signing bonus still counts against the cap.

So this clause must be one where he has to send back his signing bonus and lose his salary. Plus if there isn't a restriction on having dead cap space, it makes it far more easy to cut a player. You've seen where players are kept...cough... Kolb...because even though they suck for one reason or another the team doesn't want to take the hit. They tend to give the person an extra year to see if something can be salvaged.

This is why Palmer didn't want to accept the 0 guarantee restructure. It would have meant he'd already have one foot out the door. At anytime he could of been cut for the remainder of the contract. Oh they got Tyler Wilson in the draft...boom he could have been cut. Or next year. Or during the season.

Which means if Blackmon struggles in 2013, perhaps even 2014, it would be easier for him to be cut...just on performance reasons and instead of raking in a 2014 salary, he might have to give back part of the bonus and lose the 2014 salary. It makes it more likely. Whether it is or isn't who knows. But it removes restrictions and would make HIM the easiest player to cut on the roster to free up space for the next three seasons. For whatever reason. Granted it's unlikely for a rookie with his promise to be cut like this so soon, the next time it's his butt.

It means one more slip up (I think it's one more) he's out for a full season, and in that case, they could cut him right there rather than pay him the remaining say 2 seasons (assuming the suspension wouldn't go into effect until 2014) for playing only one.

What's worse is under such a scenario, wherever he signed, he'd have to sit out a season since being unsigned doesn't count as serving a suspension. You have to be on someone's roster...making it that much harder to get a contract, and thus the money involved. (but this last point can happen with anyone).

So yeah he could lose his signing bonus, all his future salary, and be the easiest person to cut for the next three seasons beyond just the initial 4 game check he lost. Whenever the team wants to and for whatever reason. He gave them that power. For more failed tests. For less production then desired. For even injury concerns that could arrise...i.e. he becomes a Beanie Wells. So basically what I'm saying is he took this 4 game check hit but might lose many multiples beyond that. So he might have already sealed his future in 2015 or something. Now will it happen to him? Who knows.

If you give the power he just gave to the Jaguars to 10 teams about a player each, odds are over those three seasons someone gets screwed. He now has opened that up as a possibility for himself.

Last edited:

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If you roll like I roo-ooll, you don't wanna step to this,
It's da G funked out thing, with a little hippie twist.

If you smoke like I smoke, than your high like every day,
but if my ass was a Player, than I'd put the F***in joint away.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Oh yeah that's true, but he could lose up to 10 million now or something like that. But again if they cut him before the 2014 season it could be something like 6-7 million.

Any player can be cut and lose their salary, but the signing bonus still counts against the cap.

So this clause must be one where he has to send back his signing bonus and lose his salary. Plus if there isn't a restriction on having dead cap space, it makes it far more easy to cut a player. You've seen where players are kept...cough... Kolb...because even though they suck for one reason or another the team doesn't want to take the hit. They tend to give the person an extra year to see if something can be salvaged.

This is why Palmer didn't want to accept the 0 guarantee restructure. It would have meant he'd already have one foot out the door. At anytime he could of been cut for the remainder of the contract. Oh they got Tyler Wilson in the draft...boom he could have been cut. Or next year. Or during the season.

Which means if Blackmon struggles in 2013, perhaps even 2014, it would be easier for him to be cut...just on performance reasons and instead of raking in a 2014 salary, he might have to give back part of the bonus and lose the 2014 salary. It makes it more likely. Whether it is or isn't who knows. But it removes restrictions and would make HIM the easiest player to cut on the roster to free up space for the next three seasons. For whatever reason. Granted it's unlikely for a rookie with his promise to be cut like this so soon, the next time it's his butt.

It means one more slip up (I think it's one more) he's out for a full season, and in that case, they could cut him right there rather than pay him the remaining say 2 seasons (assuming the suspension wouldn't go into effect until 2014) for playing only one.

What's worse is under such a scenario, wherever he signed, he'd have to sit out a season since being unsigned doesn't count as serving a suspension. You have to be on someone's roster...making it that much harder to get a contract, and thus the money involved. (but this last point can happen with anyone).

So yeah he could lose his signing bonus, all his future salary, and be the easiest person to cut for the next three seasons beyond just the initial 4 game check he lost. Whenever the team wants to and for whatever reason. He gave them that power. For more failed tests. For less production then desired. For even injury concerns that could arrise...i.e. he becomes a Beanie Wells. So basically what I'm saying is he took this 4 game check hit but might lose many multiples beyond that. So he might have already sealed his future in 2015 or something. Now will it happen to him? Who knows.

If you give the power he just gave to the Jaguars to 10 teams about a player each, odds are over those three seasons someone gets screwed. He now has opened that up as a possibility for himself.
good points. I'm just saying that as long as he can keep out of trouble, and continues to play how he has been, I don't think he needs to be concerned. But if he screws up again, I bet he's out

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson