OT Clavin Pace Suspended

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

7 sacks, 80 tackles, 5 forced fumbles, 4 fumble recoveries and 3 passes defended in a new scheme is mediocre? Damn, if we had 1 mediocre OLB we could have won a Super Bowl:bang: Too bad we never get a chance to grab someone like that.

We were 30 seconds away from winning the Super bowl. I think we did okay without him. I'm happy for Pace that he got paid but I think he was over paid.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
here's my take. The guy was a bum for 4 years then, in his contract year, he starts taking performance enhancing drugs(what did he have to lose, at his rate of play ,he was likely out of the league anyway),and all of a sudden becomes a viable player. He used that to cash in,big time, and finally got caught.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I want to know from you guys why it's Calvin Pace's fault that Graves reached and drafted a 3-4OLB into a 4-3 defense and he didn't produce like you wnated him to?

I have no problem with it, but I am sure glad we didn't pay 22 million for him when he became a free agent last year.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
We were 30 seconds away from winning the Super bowl. I think we did okay without him. I'm happy for Pace that he got paid but I think he was over paid.

We might have won the Super Bowl if we'd had someone like Pace to put more pressure on Big Ben in that last drive.

Oh I forgot about the Pendy prevent. He'd have taken Pace out for another DB and rushed 3 so it wouldn't have mattered. :bang:

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have no hate for him at all. I really wish that light had turned on at some point other than his contract year... but I accept that they changed his position and I'll give him credit that, that was why his light came on late.

However, he was, in no way, worth the money the Jets gave him. The fact so many fans got upset with the Cardinals for letting him go is where the hate comes from. It would have been a cap disaster to give him that kind of money. That kind of money needs to go to core players, and he was merely a good piece.

Funny how you guys make of of him for getting 7 sacks last year considering that's more than any of our current defensive players were able to do and we lost the SB because we couldn't get the QB. He had a better season than any defensive player on our roster for that matter. I'm willing to bet he gets more sacks this year in 12 games than any of our players (other than Levi :) ) in 16.

just saying...

I will never understand the hate for this guy.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We might have won the Super Bowl if we'd had someone like Pace to put more pressure on Big Ben in that last drive.

Oh I forgot about the Pendy prevent. He'd have taken Pace out for another DB and rushed 3 so it wouldn't have mattered. :bang:

You might want to take a look at that last drive.

We rushed 4, 5 or 6 on every play.

Over the course of the game, Ben's QB rating was 50 against the so-called "Pendy Prevent" and over 100 against the blitz packages.

Don't disagree that Pace could have made a difference, but... let's stop the BS about prevent "D" in the last drive. We blitzed, couldn't get to Ben, and that's the whole story.

freebyrd

Reaction score
Don't disagree that Pace could have made a difference, but... let's stop the BS about prevent "D" in the last drive. We blitzed, couldn't get to Ben, and that's the whole story.

yup games are one and lost in the trenches and we got beat by their line and bens ability to step just enough away from the rush to let the play develop and find the open guy
freebyrd

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might want to take a look at that last drive.

We rushed 4, 5 or 6 on every play.

Over the course of the game, Ben's QB rating was 50 against the so-called "Pendy Prevent" and over 100 against the blitz packages.

Some people will not allow their preconceived notions to be influenced by facts. These people tend to think that they're always right and everyone else is an idiot or blind. They tend to end up on my ignore list as they contribute nothing positive to the forum. There's no sense attempting to reason with them!

...dave

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score

That was the main reason... we were fine rushing until last 2 min when Pendy went into his shell.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That was the main reason... we were fine rushing until last 2 min when Pendy went into his shell.

It could have been the "main reason", if it had happened that way... but it didn't.

I'm no fan of Pendy's, but... we went after Ben in the last two minutes. He slipped away and made plays. And, again, Ben's QB average was 50 against the prevent and over 100 against the blitz in that game. Fact!

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
It could have been the "main reason", if it had happened that way... but it didn't.

I'm no fan of Pendy's, but... we went after Ben in the last two minutes. He slipped away and made plays. And, again, Ben's QB average was 50 against the prevent and over 100 against the blitz in that game. Fact!

Funny because I saw Francisco and the other back up DBs in more than the linebackers on that drive.....hmmmmm

Fact is: we were in dime and quarter coverage that entire last drive. Did not rush more than 3 or 4 that entire drive. I was near the end zone where Holmes caught the TD You may be right about the blitz early on in the game, but that last drive we played "prevent the win" defense.

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Funny because I saw Francisco and the other back up DBs in more than the linebackers on that drive.....hmmmmm

Fact is: we were in dime and quarter coverage that entire last drive. Did not rush more than 3 or 4 that entire drive. I was near the end zone where Holmes caught the TD You may be right about the blitz early on in the game, but that last drive we played "prevent the win" defense.

You'd better take a look at the tape, before you suggest facts. We rushed, 4, 5 and 6 on every down in the last drive.

And why wouldn't the Cards add DB's instead of the full compliment of Linebackers when you know that Ben is going to have to pass his way downfield?

PS: I was at the game too, and there were more than a few thing I missed when I reviewed the tape.

Last edited:

TJ

Reaction score
You'd better take a look at the tape, before you suggest facts. We rushed, 4, 5 and 6 on every down in the last drive.

And why wouldn't the Cards add DB's instead of the full compliment of Linebackers when you know that Ben is going to have to pass his way downfield?

PS: I was at the game too, and there were more than a few thing I missed when I reviewed the tape.

We rushed 5 maybe twice. I watched it too. It was a mixture of 3 and 4 and got burned underneath. Had we rushed 6, Ben would have been on his butt. But its irrelevant for you and I to argue about this.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We rushed 5 maybe twice. I watched it too. It was a mixture of 3 and 4 and got burned underneath. Had we rushed 6, Ben would have been on his butt. But its irrelevant for you and I to argue about this.

Well, it certainly has become irrelevant as a discussion because clearly you have either not watched each play in detail, or simply refuse to accept that we, in fact, rushed 4, 5 and 6 in that drive.

Cheers

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score

Not really, I remember vividly the third and long in the beginning of that last drive when we rushed only three or four. He had all the time and completed it. We might have blitzed in the end close to our end zone but it was late by then.

TJ

Reaction score
Well, it certainly has become irrelevant as a discussion because clearly you have either not watched each play in detail, or simply refuse to accept that we, in fact, rushed 4, 5 and 6 in that drive.

Cheers

For someone who has to keep saying the word "fact" in every post, it truly means you are not confident in what you are saying. Feel free to double check your "facts" but don't worry, I did so for you already. There are no plays where six men are rushed, two in which there are five, and a the rest are four and three. Go back to your DVR and watch it again then come back to me. Or if you would like, come over to my house and I'll play it back for you. Or ask the other thousands and thousands of cards fans and professional football analyst who watched same damn drive what they saw and they'll say the exact thing. The defense let up and dropped back too many times. Bottom line. It was a bad call on Pendergast's part and hopefully you and I can agree that the "prevent the win" defense is out of the playbook for next season.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score

There seem to be only couple of occassions we rushed 5, otherwise it is prevent all the way... see starting from 4:34 or so...

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

There seem to be only couple of occassions we rushed 5, otherwise it is prevent all the way... see starting from 4:34 or so...

Only rushed 5 twice. Sadly on the second blitz where they brought Dansby Pitt hit the big pass to Holmes.

Never brought 6. Maybe 4 is 6 in Canadian Rushers.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
For someone who has to keep saying the word "fact" in every post, it truly means you are not confident in what you are saying. Feel free to double check your "facts" but don't worry, I did so for you already. There are no plays where six men are rushed, two in which there are five, and a the rest are four and three. Go back to your DVR and watch it again then come back to me. Or if you would like, come over to my house and I'll play it back for you. Or ask the other thousands and thousands of cards fans and professional football analyst who watched same damn drive what they saw and they'll say the exact thing. The defense let up and dropped back too many times. Bottom line. It was a bad call on Pendergast's part and hopefully you and I can agree that the "prevent the win" defense is out of the playbook for next season.

Thanks for the invitation to drop in. There are no (6) ... my mistake, and there are no (3) your mistake:

Play 1 – 4 in rush
Play 2 – 4 in rush
Play 3 – 4 in rush
Play 4 – 5 in rush
Play 5 – 4 in rush
Play 6 – 4 in rush
Play 7 – 5 in rush
Play 8 – 4 in rush
Play 8 – 4 in rush

Bottom line... there is no 3 man prevent D in the final series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard