OT: Britt Reid, Chiefs assistant coach, involved in crash that seriously injured child

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Britt Reid, Chiefs assistant coach, involved in crash that seriously injured child

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...sly-injured-child/ar-BB1draWF?ocid=uxbndlbing

Britt Reid, an assistant coach for the Kansas City Chiefs and the son of head coach Andy Reid, was involved in a serious crash Thursday night, according to police. Reid is being investigated for "impairment," Kansas City police said.

Reid suffered non-life-threatening injuries, but two children in a car involved in the crash were seriously injured, including one with life-threatening injuries.

The 35-year-old is a linebackers coach for the Chiefs, who will play in the Super Bowl this Sunday against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

"The organization has been made aware of a multi-vehicle accident involving Outside Linebackers Coach, Britt Reid," the Chiefs said in a statement. "We are in the process of gathering information, and we will have no further comment at this time. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved."

Reid hit a car that was assisting another that had run out of gas on the side of the road, causing a chain reaction that hit the stalled vehicle, according to police. A 5-year-old in the broken down car suffered life-threatening injuries, while a 4-year-old in the car suffered non-life-threatening injuries, police said.

The driver of the car Reid hit initially and two adults in the car that ran out of gas were not injured.

Kansas City NBC affiliate KSHB, which obtained a search warrant related to the case, reported Reid admitted to drinking before the crash.

The Chiefs are not traveling to Tampa, the host city for Super Bowl 55, until Saturday. The team was remaining in Kansas City due to COVID-19 protocols.

Reid remains in the hospital and will not travel to the Super Bowl, a source told ESPN's Dianna Russini. He could be hospitalized for days due to his injuries, the source added.

Britt Reid pleaded guilty to simple assault and flashing a gun at another driver in a road rage incident in 2007, according to Montgomery County court records, and served prison time. While in prison, he also pleaded guilty to a charge of driving under the influence of a controlled substance from a separate incident, court records show.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope his victims recover. Sad that a 5-year-old may die.

Reid should lose his driving privileges for life, IMHO. He's proven he cannot be trusted behind the wheel (second DUI and a previous road rage conviction).

It's 2021 and we still need to be tougher on people who drink and drive.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't stand drunk drivers. I think the sentences (in the UK at least) are far too low.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's just something for the talking heads to discuss. No way he's not coaching in the Super Bowl, but this definitely could be a distraction. I could see it leading to him stepping down sooner than he'd like. He's had a history of family heartache.

https://www.grunge.com/323493/the-heartbreaking-death-of-andy-reids-son/

https://www.inquirer.com/news/britt-reid-accident-andy-reid-super-bowl-20210206.html

Man... possibly drunk and on aderall. That’s a bad combo and really f’ed up.

i wouldn’t be surprised if the Chiefs lose this game. seems like a team that has a major distraction before the game ends up losing more often than not.

gotta believe with everything bad that’s gone on in Reid’s previous family history, this event weighs heavily on him and could effect his focus.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Makes my heart hurt...

I not making excuses for the douche nozzle, but people need much better education on the hazards of roadside assistance. I had many tragic calls in my career as the result of people trying to help others on the sides of busy roads and highways.

I feel bad for Andy. One son commits suicide and now this one. Terrible. Hope the little one hangs on.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man... possibly drunk and on aderall. That’s a bad combo and really f’ed up.

i wouldn’t be surprised if the Chiefs lose this game. seems like a team that has a major distraction before the game ends up losing more often than not.

gotta believe with everything bad that’s gone on in Reid’s previous family history, this event weighs heavily on him and could effect his focus.

Ya you gotta think your kid possibly killing a child(not outa woods yet).... Plus looking at more serous prison time is gonna weigh on you big time....

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel bad for Andy. One son commits suicide and now this one. Terrible. Hope the little one hangs on.
Agreed. Reid is well known as an extremely good guy but it definitely looks like the hours away from home while coaching left his boys without a father and both became massive failures. Very sad.

Reaction score
Ya you gotta think your kid possibly killing a child(not outa woods yet).... Plus looking at more serous prison time is gonna weigh on you big time....

I wouldn't be able to do it. I'd be too worried about my child. That always comes first. Family before anything else.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I hope his victims recover. Sad that a 5-year-old may die.

Reid should lose his driving privileges for life, IMHO. He's proven he cannot be trusted behind the wheel (second DUI and a previous road rage conviction).

It's 2021 and we still need to be tougher on people who drink and drive.
Agreed. This is what happens when you go soft on the first transgression.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Five-year old hasn't woken since the accident. Has a head injury. A Go Fund Me has raised almost $200k for the family. Single mom with three little ones. So heartbreaking and preventable.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose