OT: Bigger mistake not keeping…

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
-
Or both? The Goldy trade was a bust despite a hot half-season from from Carson Kelly two years ago. Luke Weaver is always hurt/bad. JDM had a down year last year but has consistently been a great offensive player for Boston and helped them with a championship.
-
I believe they should’ve re-signed JD in 2018 and not traded Goldy. Even if it meant Goldy walked the next year it would’ve extended our window by one season. JD would’ve been movable to an AL team had they decided to rebuild after that. CheapBacks struck again.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The contract was the issue. I don't really blame the Dbacks for the trade

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It was but they had Goldy under contract for two more years at a cheap price after the JD year. After they traded Goldy to rebuild they ended up trading for Starling Marte and signing Madbum a year later. In hindsight you re-sign JD and let Goldy walk in 2019.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree but….

At some point, the team will need to pony up those type of contracts here and there. The trade looks bad because of the weak pieces they got in return but the bigger surprise that makes the trade look so much worse is the perceived lack of production at 1B. Walker seems to be heating up a bit but that isn’t helping the narrative.

I thought it was a good trade at the time (I think I did at least) so I am sticking with it

Last edited: