OT: AWWW, poor NFL owners

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
:mulli:http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast

In these uncertain economic times and with the NFL a season away from a possible lockout, it's always a good idea to know how wealthy your favorite team's owner is.

Forbes recently released its 2010 list of the world's richest people, and we can see why they're eager to wrangle more money out of the next collective bargaining agreement.

Miami Dolphins owner and Manhattan real estate developer Stephen Ross tied for 277th with an estimated net worth of $3.4 billion. That's down $1.1 billion and 50 spots since Forbes' 2008 rankings because of the struggling real estate market.

Ross is listed as the second-wealthiest NFL owner behind Paul Allen of the Seattle Seahawks. He came in at 37th at $13.5 billion thanks to that little enterprise called Microsoft.

New England Patriots owner and paper magnate Robert Kraft tied for 655th with an estimated net worth of $1.5 billion. Kraft maintained his net worth from the 2009 Forbes list, but plummeted 187 spots in the world rankings. To show how much the ratings can fluctuate, he ranked 843rd in 2008 with a net worth estimate of $1.4 billion.

The New York Jets' owner is Woody Johnson. He's part of the Johnson & Johnson medical and pharmaceutical fortune. The Johnson family ranks perennially among the top 10 richest American families. Forbes estimated the family's net worth at $13 billion last year.

Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson doesn't appear on the list. Forbes estimated the Bills' franchise was worth $909 million last year, 26th in the NFL.

Other owners who appear on the 2010 Forbes list: Malcolm Glazer (400th at $2.4 billion), Jerry Jones (556th at $1.8 billion), Jim Irsay (721st at $1.4 billion), Arthur Blank (773rd at $1.3 billion) and Bud Adams, Dan Snyder and Alex Spanos (tied for 880th at $1.1 billion) and Randy Lerner and Jeff Lurie (tied for 937th at $1 billion).

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
As an accountant/banker please let me caution you against mistaking net worth and cash flow. I can own a ton of property and have a huge net worth, but if none of them provide me income, I can't pay my workers. I am still worth a lot, but I can't pay my bills. Of course these guys are on the list. The average NFL team is worth 500 to 700 million (and that is a low estimate).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard