OT- Around the NFL 2019-20

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Holy hell. 112k that’s so unrealistic in 2020 just stop with that. Cause you know damn well that ain’t happening today. Quick check on CarGurus A 2020 Colorado WORK truck is 20k cause yeah I’m expecting a guy the size of an NFL player to buy a stripped down tiny midsized truck with roll up windows in it.

Alright you win. Your right. Go find a 100k home and buy a Jetta, better yet ride a bike or take the bus to work.

we just have different opinions.
Hey, I admitted to it being at the bottom of the market. But go look online in multiple places. You can find a home for $200k. Not everyone has to live in SoCal. And you don't have to pay off a $200k house immediately, but putting $150k down is going to make your mortgage SUPER manageable with a "normal" job.

Not to mention, not all NFL players are enormous. I drive a two-door Camaro and I'm bigger than most of our corners, WRs, safeties, and cornerbacks.

I can't believe you're equating making $480,000 to driving a Jetta or taking the bus. Insanely out of touch with what people go through just to even slightly dream of that money.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can just take a minute and appreciate the signing/contract for Hicks last year?

Hope we can find another defensive starter or 2 just like that during FA.

I believe Darius Philon would have been another excellent signing/contract if he hadn't lost his damn mind.

You must be registered for see images attach

Just going to point out that Philon was never charged with anything (and never will be) and that Keim's reaction was over the top. There was no need to cut Philon until such a time as he was charged. You can't go round cutting players because some stripper accused him of something.

You have a cop finding drugs in Patrick Chungs house and the Pats don't cut him. But a stripper makes an accusation and Keim cuts the cord.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not every player is in California, for one. There is zero state tax in Florida, Nevada, Texas, and Washington, all of which have one or multiple NFL teams.

Two, how are you still missing that $240,000 is more than what many college graduates make in at least five, if not ten years? It's a ton of money. Again, it is a home and a car.

You're at $160,000+ a year, but I assure you, that's nowhere near the norm, and your views must be skewed since you're used to it.

Also take into account that players are taxed based on where they play each week. So not every Bucs player is 100% tax free, if they play a game in Arizona they pay Arizona state taxes on that weeks check.

The reverse if the Cards play in Tampa.

Of course that doesn't include things like signing bonuses. That's why a lot of players buy homes in tax free states and "reside" there when signing a new contract.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey, I admitted to it being at the bottom of the market. But go look online in multiple places. You can find a home for $200k. Not everyone has to live in SoCal. And you don't have to pay off a $200k house immediately, but putting $150k down is going to make your mortgage SUPER manageable with a "normal" job.

Not to mention, not all NFL players are enormous. I drive a two-door Camaro and I'm bigger than most of our corners, WRs, safeties, and cornerbacks.

I can't believe you're equating making $480,000 to driving a Jetta or taking the bus. Insanely out of touch with what people go through just to even slightly dream of that money.

it was a joke.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just going to point out that Philon was never charged with anything (and never will be) and that Keim's reaction was over the top. There was no need to cut Philon until such a time as he was charged. You can't go round cutting players because some stripper accused him of something.

You have a cop finding drugs in Patrick Chungs house and the Pats don't cut him. But a stripper makes an accusation and Keim cuts the cord.

Rest assured that Michael made that ultimate decision.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also take into account that players are taxed based on where they play each week. So not every Bucs player is 100% tax free, if they play a game in Arizona they pay Arizona state taxes on that weeks check.

The reverse if the Cards play in Tampa.

Of course that doesn't include things like signing bonuses. That's why a lot of players buy homes in tax free states and "reside" there when signing a new contract.

You are right about out of state taxes owed, but in the end the player pays personal taxes based on his place of residence (6 mo. + a day). This is managed through a system of interstate tax rebates and internationally via tax treaties.

I work for a Swiss firm, HQ in the City, satellite office in Jersey. My residence is Jersey.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter)
3/2/20, 6:03 AM
Jags will use franchise tag on Yannick Ngakoue; tag for DEs carries an approximate salary of $19.3 million. In four seasons, Ngakoue has 37.5 sacks and has forced 14 fumbles, which is fourth in NFL over that span behind Khalil Mack (17), Chandler Jones (17) and T.J. Watt (15).

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Hearing a lot of this...Bradberry, Conklin, etc.

Isn't it tampering before the free agency period?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Hearing a lot of this...Bradberry, Conklin, etc.

Isn't it tampering before the free agency period?
It's pretty widely accepted that everyone does some degree of tampering at the Combine where both agents and teams are present. The NFL turns a blind eye. I think what's really frowned upon is having serious discussions about pay outside of a general range a player is looking for, and anything that involves team to player contact.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Something is deeper than we see with Philon. Nobody picked him up and I believe he is still out of football.
Yeah he isn't good enough to put up with the headache of him having an active case for threatening to shoot a stripper. If the case is dropped or settled he'll be back in the league.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson