OT: Adrian Peterson indicted in Child Injury Case

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Coming from the most imperfect person I've ever known (me), I agree with everything you just said. But this isn't my opinion Vs the opinion of those who may disagree with me. We can all pontificate (including me) about culture and legalities and who has what right to do whatever, but in the end (for me) it's about the one who didn't get a vote in this whole mess. That's a four year-old child who ended up with a body full of bruises and cuts. I just can't think of a scenario where this can be condoned. You know what? AP might be a hell of a guy and and a hell of a parent, but this **** is wrong on every level. That's where the argument begins and ends with me.

I don't disagree with anything you wrote, especially the part about the one person who doesn't have a voice, which is the 4 year old child.

I wasn't defending AP, I don't know him, and any opinion I did have has been tainted by his recent actions--and frankly his own statements show an incredible amount of ignorance.

I simply think we live in a society with no privacy whatsoever anymore and it bothers me.

And some of the most judgemental mofos, the finger-pointers, the holier-than-thou's, are the most messed up people out of all of us.

The corporations like Nike and the beer companies, even freaking Mcdonalds, raising a fuss are some of the worst criminals on the planet and have done far more harm than AP or Rice ever did by far--they've harmed far more people, even children. It's pathetic.

I still think average dude's and dudette's should mind their own business. I won't waver in that. Have you ever met, personally met, anyone in your life qualified to judge you? To JUDGE you? Hold you in contempt and suggest your livelihood and family should be taken away from you against your will?

I've met a lot of smart mofos, really smart, and I've met a lot of morally/ethically superior people than me, but I've never met someone qualified to dole out penance for the things I've done.

It's fine to have an opinion, I have my own as well and I think it was wrong, but people acting like they know what's best for Rice's wife or AP's kid are arrogant and ignorant.

Most people, a majority of them, don't even have control of their own lives. Yet they're going to dictate **** to someone else? That's just as much a joke as Nike getting all self righteousy about child abuse.

And I'll say it again man, the law failed in the case of Rice and the team and league failed in the case of AP: that doesn't happen and this is a non-discussion, we aren't even having this conversation.

(And this may sound humorous but I'm entirely serious: if I ever had to go on trial the last thing I'd want is a jury of my peers judging me. Some of the dumbest, most judgemental, preachy, unintelligent blobs of worthless flesh ever to walk the earth. I'd rather have a jury of someone else's peers)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
"I'd rather have a jury of someone else's peers)"

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Lol. Well, you wouldn't want mine. Sounds like we might have the same ones.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
plead guilty to simple assault misdemeanor today. Already missed 8 games, wonder if he can resume playing soon or gets a suspension on top of it?

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
plead guilty to simple assault misdemeanor today. Already missed 8 games, wonder if he can resume playing soon or gets a suspension on top of it?

He did the crime so IMO he should miss the rest of the season.Polian says Petersons plea could fall under the domestic violence area of the nfl rules.The fight now will be between players union who will probably want his penalty to be time served and the nfl.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He did the crime so IMO he should miss the rest of the season.Polian says Petersons plea could fall under the domestic violence area of the nfl rules.The fight now will be between players union who will probably want his penalty to be time served and the nfl.

But the judges ruling is simple assault not of the domestic violence variety.

as a general rule of thumb, I am against the NFL having stricter rules than the judicial system.

If a guy gets arrested for shoplifting you shouldn't punish him like he was convicted of GTA.

When looking at conviction: simple assault misdemeanor might get him a one to two game ban without pay.

If they look further into it and make themselves the judge, i expect him to be done for the year.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's my take on all of this. Why now? Domestic violence in the NFL(or any other sport/league) is nothing new. This, to me, speaks of the hypocrisy of our society. Only when something becomes a cause celeb do people care. Being a foster parent I get to deal with all kinds of abused kids be they abused physically or neglected. Believe me, it's not a pretty sight and yet no one cares about these kids because their parents aren't celebrities but I digress. Back on point, domestic violence has been a part of this league forever but for some reason in 2014 are people caring about it. In the mid 70's, the Eagles had a defensive end named Blenda Gay. It was said that when the Eagles would lose, Gay would go home and beat his wife. The Eagles were losing 10 games a season then so that because a weekly thing. His wife would call the police and the cops wouldn't do anything but talk football with him. One night, his wife Roxanne cut his throat in his sleep killing him. That incident failed to shine a light on domestic violence in the NFL so I ask again, why now?(I need to point out that better late than never I just find the timing strange).

CardinalMike

Chickens can't clap!
Reaction score
It is actively harming their brand reputation and puts revenue at risk. Oh, also its the right thing to do.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score

as a general rule of thumb, I am against the NFL having stricter rules than the judicial system.

If a guy gets arrested for shoplifting you shouldn't punish him like he was convicted of GTA.

When looking at conviction: simple assault misdemeanor might get him a one to two game ban without pay.

If they look further into it and make themselves the judge, i expect him to be done for the year.

Ap beat a child .Beat a child bad enough to leave marks and require medical attention.A little common sense should be used instead of playing word games of calling it a lesser crime that what it was;He beat a child.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
The nfl is getting the reputation of being filled with law-breaking thugs anyhow.What`s another one.Of the 3 major sports the NFL has the biggest rep of being full of lawless thugs.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ap beat a child .Beat a child bad enough to leave marks and require medical attention.A little common sense should be used instead of playing word games of calling it a lesser crime that what it was;He beat a child.

Sounds like a problem with the judicial system to me. I am trying to remove emotion and media reporting from the stance and just view it as what the judge is calling it.

Otherwise you could ban ray Lewis for life just because he might have been part of a murder even though he was not found guilty :shrug:

There are major flaws within the judicial system but its what we have to go off of.

The nfl is getting the reputation of being filled with law-breaking thugs anyhow.What`s another one.Of the 3 major sports the NFL has the biggest rep of being full of lawless thugs.

It does but I think that is moreso due to the sheer size of the nfl. FAR more players in the NFL than any other sport.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's my take on all of this. Why now? Domestic violence in the NFL(or any other sport/league) is nothing new. This, to me, speaks of the hypocrisy of our society. Only when something becomes a cause celeb do people care. Being a foster parent I get to deal with all kinds of abused kids be they abused physically or neglected. Believe me, it's not a pretty sight and yet no one cares about these kids because their parents aren't celebrities but I digress. Back on point, domestic violence has been a part of this league forever but for some reason in 2014 are people caring about it. In the mid 70's, the Eagles had a defensive end named Blenda Gay. It was said that when the Eagles would lose, Gay would go home and beat his wife. The Eagles were losing 10 games a season then so that because a weekly thing. His wife would call the police and the cops wouldn't do anything but talk football with him. One night, his wife Roxanne cut his throat in his sleep killing him. That incident failed to shine a light on domestic violence in the NFL so I ask again, why now?(I need to point out that better late than never I just find the timing strange).

I certainly wish that the human race would evolve faster than it has but it is improving. Women can now vote and work in every profession but they still don't typically receive the same pay as males.

Non whites can sit in the front of the bus and work in any profession even though there is still a lot of room for improvement in this area.

I for one wish all of the unfairness and plan bad stuff like domestic violence could be fixed immediately but since that isn't happening I'll take celebrities getting caught to force this issue into the publics consciousness which will start to speed up the process of improving the situation.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Isn't assault against your own child considered domestic violence? Is there a separate crime category? I think what he did was wrong. He should have a penalty. The penalty should be appropriate, and that will be hard to determine with so many opinions. We can be sure not everyone will be happy.

But once it is paid, and he doesn't do it any more, its time to move on. He is not a criminal forever.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I tend to agree with you. But I also have defended criminals legally in the past who were guilty of some really terrible things.

Contrary to popular belief, even the nonwealthy get a chance at a first-strike. What the general mob of angry internet opinions seems to forget is that we are a society built on second chances. We were founded by people who fled persecution and prosecution wherever they were from. We used to value forgiveness and rebirth.

The deal Peterson got is pretty similar to what a lot of first time offenders may get in his situation with the right attorney or a prosecutor who evaluates the case and takes heed in what they see in the evidence and concludes that this will not happen again. This isn't special treatment.

The question then becomes: has Peterson learned his lesson well enough to b reinstated at this time? Is 8 games sufficient punishment? I would contend that 8 games served for a guy who is vocally out to break every record he can and the national embarrassment he has faced is sufficient punishment. I know this is probably unpopular of me to say but I think in the grand scheme of things and the precedence set by the NFL, 8 games is where he should end up.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't assault against your own child considered domestic violence? Is there a separate crime category? I think what he did was wrong. He should have a penalty. The penalty should be appropriate, and that will be hard to determine with so many opinions. We can be sure not everyone will be happy.

But once it is paid, and he doesn't do it any more, its time to move on. He is not a criminal forever.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Peterson will plead no contest to one count of misdemeanor reckless assault. The plea will not include reference to family violence or violence against a minor.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/04/peterson-will-plead-no-contest/

That is where I got it from

seesred

Reaction score
What I would like to know in the whole scheme off things after all this does Washington deserve a break On hi weed smoking? I'm not saying what he did is okay all I'm saying why does he get a year plus (maybe).

GBR

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
What I would like to know in the whole scheme off things after all this does Washington deserve a break On hi weed smoking? I'm not saying what he did is okay all I'm saying why does he get a year plus (maybe).

GBR

Good thing AP wasn`t caught smoking pot after beating his kid.He might really get in trouble then.:)Smoking pot and missing some tests must be more of crime in the nfl than beating children.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good thing AP wasn`t caught smoking pot after beating his kid.He might really get in trouble then.:)Smoking pot and missing some tests must be more of crime in the nfl than beating children.

He actually had a dirty UA after all of this came out and admitted to getting high before the test.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
He actually had a dirty UA after all of this came out and admitted to getting high before the test.

So what! Its obvious that from the nfl being a pot smoker is a worse crime than being a child beater.What about Ray Rice? He knocked out his wife on camera and Goodell was only going to make him miss 2 games? This is plain crazy.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what! Its obvious that from the nfl being a pot smoker is a worse crime than being a child beater.What about Ray Rice? He knocked out his wife on camera and Goodell was only going to make him miss 2 games? This is plain crazy.

just an FYI is all. Preaching to the choir. Legalize it.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

FYI. Smoking weed is in the CBA. Domestic violence/child abuse isn't, at least not directly that is. Stop complaining about this nonsense because it was something agreed upon by the NFLPA so get over it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI. Smoking weed is in the CBA. Domestic violence/child abuse isn't, at least not directly that is. Stop complaining about this nonsense because it was something agreed upon by the NFLPA so get over it.

Get over yourself. Seriously. That type of behavior is not acceptable.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson