OT: Adrian Peterson indicted in Child Injury Case

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets tie him up naked, lash him until he bleeds all over, making sure to hit his scotum. Then, when he is physically able to play, have at it.

Oh, but he can't wear a helmet for the first game, since head injuries aren't a concern of his.

Not sure if you are serious here or not.....

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you are serious here or not.....

Not really serious.

But if that was a punishment inflicted on you for committing some minor offense, you'd be ok with it?

Hey, you were speeding - that's dangerous. Step out of the car, drop your drawers, and let me take this Acacia switch to you.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are many ways to solve problem. D-Dogg said himself that physical pain via pushups is how he was trained in the military. In fact, it worked so well that he does the same to his children. Spanking is an extension of that.

Yes but there is plenty of evidence that shows that even forced regular physical activity has benefits for mental health. Studies show it might protect against depression and anxiety symptoms. The reason is because forced physical activities are associated with challenging yourself to do something you may not want to or think you can do. There is a sense of accomplishment or completion even when forced and provides a mental outlet. It impacts the area of the brain that handles stress which is a key attribute for soldiers under fire.

I have seen none that say that physical spanking has any mental health benefits. With spanking probably only the parent feels like anything has been accomplished and a child's anxiety, fear and stress levels go through the roof when spanked. That's like comparing hate to love. They are related only in that they are emotions but are hardly the same thing.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Castrol Motor Oil terminates contract with AP.

Budweiser and Nike are not happy with the NFL.

Radisson has stopped sponsoring the Vikings for now.

University of Minnesota Health evaluating termination of Vikings sponsorship.

The big dogs that the NFL/teams care about are finally stepping up.

This is what is needed... Also, the fastest growing market segment for the NFL is, of all things, women! Gotta believe Goodell and his slackies understand just how important these types of issues are to women and what it means to the financial picture of the NFL...

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry, but parental discipline can be a very subjective topic and you or anyone else on this board has zero right to say what is or is not excessive.
Are you freaking serious? So if I see a parent shaking the daylights out of their infant I don't have the right to say it's excessive? Are you saying whipping a child to the point that it draws blood is acceptable? I am hardly the "spare the rod" kind of guy but if I see a child with bruises, cuts, or lacerations but to a spanking you get your ass I'm going to judge that parent.

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There are many ways to solve problem. D-Dogg said himself that physical pain via pushups is how he was trained in the military. In fact, it worked so well that he does the same to his children. Spanking is an extension of that.

Was he 4 years old when he was in the military? Push-ups is a far cry from getting beaten with a stick. I work out five times a week and have never bled once from it.
Maybe you could talk to Joseph Kony and find out about the African, child soldiers. He also deals in instilling fear in small children. He probably tells them, "Don't worry, it's just an extension of spanking."

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Was he 4 years old when he was in the military? Push-ups is a far cry from getting beaten with a stick. I work out five times a week and have never bled once from it.
Maybe you could talk to Joseph Kony and find out about the African, child soldiers. He also deals in instilling fear in small children. He probably tells them, "Don't worry, it's just an extension of spanking."
Obviously you're not working out hard enough. You know, "no pain, no gain".

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hyperbole is strong with this one.

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Like I said, I see this all the time. This isn't philosophy with me.

It's true, I get pretty worked up over this kind of thing. Sometimes I'm a jerk, but if you see enough of this up close, it gets to you. I know I can be a dick. Don't mean to be. I type before I think. Very unproductive, sometimes.:mad:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I said, I see this all the time. This isn't philosophy with me.

It's true, I get pretty worked up over this kind of thing. Sometimes I'm a jerk, but if you see enough of this up close, it gets to you. I know I can be a dick. Don't mean to be. I type before I think. Very unproductive, sometimes.:mad:

Hehe. No big deal.

:thumbup:

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

OK, but going along with this statement: how is it different from any child being beaten for the sake of instilling fear? Doesn't matter where you come from, it's all the same to a child. It's only hyperbole to a bunch of American adults talking about the philosophy of what constitutes a beating. When a child ends up dead (which happens many times every day in this country), it's all over. They don't get a voice. One's culture means very little to me when that happens and smarta$$ answers don't have much effect...sadly, from either side of the argument.

Again, sadly, things usually don't change but from high profile cases and I would hope this is one of those. I don't mean any slight from this but you are a full generation removed from me. That doesn't make me smarter than you but in my experience, each generation is a little more cynical than the last. Not all...but overall. I hope that changes. Peace.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if the same people who condone corporal punishment of their children beat their dogs? Do they beat their wives?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if the same people who condone corporal punishment of their children beat their dogs? Do they beat their wives?

Are you suggesting that spanking your child is roughly the same as beating your wife? I haven't done and wouldn't do any of those things but I want to understand the question before I respond.

Steve

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If I thought I needed to, I would absolutely beat my dog. If the dog had a hold of my child for example, I'd beat the dog to death without flinching.

I do not beat my wife, but I'd have to let Linder speak to that. ;)

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Southpaw you gave me an interesting thought. Not saying it is the same at all, but I wonder if AP had a dog with those marks that his son had, would we call it animal cruelty? Really asking the group on this one.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Southpaw you gave me an interesting thought. Not saying it is the same at all, but I wonder if AP had a dog with those marks that his son had, would we call it animal cruelty? Really asking the group on this one.

Probably.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't mean any slight from this but you are a full generation removed from me. That doesn't make me smarter than you but in my experience, each generation is a little more cynical than the last. Not all...but overall. I hope that changes. Peace.

Somewhat related regarding generational differences: read an article from some psychologist last night who said, "I've never met an intelligent optimist."

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Undoubtedly.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somewhat related regarding generational differences: read an article from some psychologist last night who said, "I've never met an intelligent optimist."

It figures. I'm an optimist. But in my defense, I've never been too impressed with the psychologists I've met either.

Steve

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

For me, most likely. But we live in a weird society at times. Vick did more time than Rice will ever do. Granted, he killed dogs and it was pervasive, but other dude's in this league have killed someone and gotten less time.

People are hesitant to get involved when it involves one's family. We barely have any privacy left as it is, so I understand why that's the case.

I've said this before and will say it again: while I think Ray Rice was incredibly wrong (and so is AP), I also think people should mind their own biz.

The problem is that the league and the team (in the case of AP), have been entirely too lenient. That's what makes 3rd parties feel the need to get involved. Had the Vikings left AP off the field, and had the NFL done anything of substance, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Last edited:

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It figures. I'm an optimist. But in my defense, I've never been too impressed with the psychologists I've met either.

Steve

Nor have I, but I enjoyed the quote because it justifies my own cynicism and makes me feel good.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I was reading this elsewhere and came up with an interesting question that I'd like to hear opinions about.

Jay Cutler and his wife refuse to administer, or don't believe in, vaccinations for their children. Would there be an outrage and calls for him to be suspended if his kid attracted a life threatening disease? That his belief on how to raise his child and, like the AP case, goes against societal norms. Would that be child abuse?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was reading this elsewhere and came up with an interesting question that I'd like to hear opinions about.

Jay Cutler and his wife refuse to administer, or don't believe in, vaccinations for their children. Would there be an outrage and calls for him to be suspended if his kid attracted a life threatening disease? That his belief on how to raise his child and, like the AP case, goes against societal norms. Would that be child abuse?

It should be, but it wouldn't.