OT: Adrian Peterson indicted in Child Injury Case

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's asinine. How can you call it discipline at 1 year old? At 1 you aren't even forming memories yet man, there's nothing to learn from.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Not true at all. I trained (if you want to call it that) my children that touching the TV screen was wrong. A quick light tap on the hand with a firm no attached. Children learn cognitive abilities as early as 6 weeks.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The timing. Just 'no comment' and move on. Just...dumb.

You would think if you are dumb enough to put yourself out there was such a controversial subject you would be precise and clear about your stance.

If not, you open yourself up to scrutiny and looking like a *******.

You got to know when to say "pass" Reggie.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I know it is the topic of the day, and he can't help but get asked about it. But these are people prying into his private life. They can ask the question, but they have no right to an answer. Reggie may feel compelled to answer honestly, but he can just tell them he doesn't want to compare and contrast parenting styles in the media.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not true at all. I trained (if you want to call it that) my children that touching the TV screen was wrong. A quick light tap on the hand with a firm no attached. Children learn cognitive abilities as early as 6 weeks.

Studies also show that it teaches kids that "might makes right", that it is permissible to hurt someone else, provided they are smaller and less powerful than you are. It has also shows that because children learn through parental modeling, physical punishment gives the message that hitting is an appropriate way to express feelings and to solve problems.

That's why I really had a hard time myself ever going beyond a couple pats to the butts when they were really little. I found other ways to send the same messages. Again, not suggesting at all that what you were doing was abusive only that there are probably consequences if that is the "norm". I think it's up to parents to make those decisions up to a point if they are willing to take those risks and if they are willing to accept the consequences.

Provided you don't go all AP.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Studies also show that it teaches kids that "might makes right", that it is permissible to hurt someone else, provided they are smaller and less powerful than you are. It has also shows that because children learn through parental modeling, physical punishment gives the message that hitting is an appropriate way to express feelings and to solve problems.

That's why I really had a hard time myself ever going beyond a couple pats to the butts when they were really little. I found other ways to send the same messages. Again, not suggesting at all that what you were doing was abusive only that there are probably consequences if that is the "norm". I think it's up to parents to make those decisions up to a point if they are willing to take those risks and if they are willing to accept the consequences.

Provided you don't go all AP.

There are also studies that show chocolate could prevent heart attacks. There could be studies for anything you want out there.

I'm not sure if there is anything else that needs to be said by me in this thread.

:thumbup:

OP
OP
A

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There are also studies that show chocolate could prevent heart attacks. There could be studies for anything you want out there.

Except there hasn't been a single study that shows that corporal punishment is more effective. Over 80 have shown the opposite.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure if there is anything else that needs to be said by me in this thread.

:thumbup:

That's a true statement but by that logic I should ignore studies that say I shouldn't eat tons of cholesterol, sodium, smoke like a chimney and do drugs too.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Castrol Motor Oil terminates contract with AP.

Budweiser and Nike are not happy with the NFL.

Radisson has stopped sponsoring the Vikings for now.

University of Minnesota Health evaluating termination of Vikings sponsorship.

The big dogs that the NFL/teams care about are finally stepping up.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can we please stick to the topic in hand, child discipline?

It isn't about being agreeable. EVERYONE is judged as a parent on how they raise their child. From the way that they handle a kid throwing a tantrum in a grocery store to the way that the behave in school and beyond. How many times have you been in a grocery store and seen a kid act out and had thoughts about the parenting skills at hand. Every one of us.

There are people that say you shouldn't spank a child, to the ones that say that you shouldn't even yell at a child.

Sure, but I never thought that child should be beaten. Never. That parent screwed up long ago.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Clearly, there is a huge disparity in terms of how people on this board view the issue of discipline tactics with children.

The best I can offer is that there is a massive difference between "spanking" a kid and "abusing" a kid. it shouldn't be, but I know some can't clearly see what AP did was abuse a child. He may have thought he was spanking, but the sad reality is that he abused a child... actually two children.

I was spanked as a child. I spanked (very rarely) my 3 kids. I was not led to believe that "corporal punishment is more effective". I was taught that if you disrespect a parent, or otherwise go too far and act in a manner that my parents taught me not to, there was a price to be paid. And this is what I have instilled in my kids. I never used a switch, or a belt, or anything else other than my hand. I can't say the same about my mom... I never spanked my kids when they were 4 years old. And I was never spanked when I was 4. But of course, attempting to discern an appropriate age for spanking is very murky...
Today, many believe that kids and young adults would be better off if they were more harshly disciplined - spanking... I tend to believe this to be true... as I have noticed that, for the most part but certainly not in all cases, parents who choose not to spank tend to become less and less "active" in terms of discipline.
Discipline takes work, effort and engagement... not sporadically, but consistently. For too long now, parents have made the choice not to engage in that way. They would rather dump the discipline work onto others (teaches, coaches...).

AP will get what he is due in terms of punishment... He abused 2 children and no sane judge will see it any other way. What Goodell and the NFL choose to do, as well as the Vikings, should be interesting to watch...

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
DCR makes the most sense out of anyone in this thread. Like me, it seems he doesn't condone the beating but understands there are different mentalities when it comes to discipline.

I think it's pretty easy to sit behind a keyboard and be outraged when we really know nothing behind the culture of how different people live.

Like I said, I'm not defending AP, he went over the line. But, if there was no blood, or pictures, there would be nary a word from anyone. However there is, and he'll pay his punishment for it. Remember, the first grand jury didn't even indict him and I'm sure they were presented with all the evidence.

Also, Keith Olberman is an ass. I don't care what he says about anything. What give his opinion any more validity than Barkley? Because he agrees with your point of view?

Outrage through high profile cases is how social change is usually affected. While it's true there are different "mentalities" when it comes to discipline, there should be a clear distinction in this case.

As for accusing some of being keyboard warriors: I deal with this kind of thing everyday and have a BA in Sociology with an MA in Anthropological Studies. I have experience in field work, both as a Sociologist and academia. I get it, thank you. If you're willing to have that discussion in the context of either historical or modern American culture; I am happy to have it.

With all that aside, it unnerves me to think that anyone would think that beating a 4 year-old with a stick (culturally or otherwise) is acceptable.

And really? Comparing Barkley with Olbermann? Please.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our purpose as a society should be to improve on the mistakes of our parents. So can we stop with all these "that's how I was raised" arguments?

I was spanked with a belt and to this day, I have the impulse to lash out violently at anyone who crosses me, including, but not limited to, those that cut me off in traffic.

I don't do it because I actually can control my impulses, but it scares me that my first thought to solving a problem is sometimes a violent rebuttal. That is what I was taught, after all.

Thanks, parents.

I am with you.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
How many times have you been in a grocery store and seen a kid act out and had thoughts about the parenting skills at hand. Every one of us.

There are people that say you shouldn't spank a child, to the ones that say that you shouldn't even yell at a child.

But there is nothing to suggest that hitting a kid solves the problem...

It is abhorrent, but it absolutely is subjective. Peterson in this case went over the line. My point is that the hitting the kid with a switch alone isn't over the line IMO.

No 4 year old kid should ever be hit to the point where he bleeds... and no 4 year old should ever be hit with a switch. I'm willing to bet my life savings on the fact that the vast majority of America, if not the world, would feel the same way.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
DCR makes the most sense out of anyone in this thread. Like me, it seems he doesn't condone the beating but understands there are different mentalities when it comes to discipline.

I think it's pretty easy to sit behind a keyboard and be outraged when we really know nothing behind the culture of how different people live.

Like I said, I'm not defending AP, he went over the line. But, if there was no blood, or pictures, there would be nary a word from anyone. However there is, and he'll pay his punishment for it. Remember, the first grand jury didn't even indict him and I'm sure they were presented with all the evidence.

Also, Keith Olberman is an ass. I don't care what he says about anything. What give his opinion any more validity than Barkley? Because he agrees with your point of view?

Really? Early on in this thread, I expressed the thought that I was astonished at the thought that so many posters sympathized and condoned the abuse. I feel even stronger about it now.

Post #90

I am astonished by most of the commentary in this thread. From condoning to rationalizing, to personal experience horror stories.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...how anyone in their right mind could come to think that being struck with a switch (stick), belt, board or any potentially, harmful object, could have ever resulted in anything positive in their lives...especially at 4 years old. You might be able to say that it put enough fear in you to not do something again, but Jesus. To say that you turned out all right is to say you were lucky. Hell, I know a woman who was raped continuously by her father while her mother held her hand. By all accounts, she turned out all right. But do you think it was a positive experience?

There are better ways to handle discipline with our children. I wasn't always handled with kid gloves but there were better ways for my parents to have done it. That doesn't mean I disrespect them. It simply means that there are better ways. Parents aren't perfect. I get that. But to rule by fear is never the answer. I will never stand down from that.

Now if you need to defend your life, then by all means pick something up and go to it.
Otherwise, Isaac Asimov had it right. "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."

+1000000

Even AP, in his "defense" of his actions says that he was the only one of his brothers that made something of himself. Well, I would say that AP succeeded IN SPITE of being whooped as a child, because it didn't help the rest of his family.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
+1000000

Even AP, in his "defense" of his actions says that he was the only one of his brothers that made something of himself. Well, I would say that AP succeeded IN SPITE of being whooped as a child, because it didn't help the rest of his family.

Depends on how you define success. If it's just about money then sure. But if success has anything to do with being a decent human being then I think there's room for discussion.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But there is nothing to suggest that hitting a kid solves the problem...

There are many ways to solve problem. D-Dogg said himself that physical pain via pushups is how he was trained in the military. In fact, it worked so well that he does the same to his children. Spanking is an extension of that.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except there hasn't been a single study that shows that corporal punishment is more effective. Over 80 have shown the opposite.

More effective, sure. Corporal punishment is still effective. That's the point. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be done.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally. At first they're like oh a stern warning, scary, let's hug it out. Then they be all oh **** he's going for the paddle, better suspend him one game. Finally they're all oh ****, he's going for the tree branch, suspended indefinately.

Wait, whut?

Lets tie him up naked, lash him until he bleeds all over, making sure to hit his scotum. Then, when he is physically able to play, have at it.

Oh, but he can't wear a helmet for the first game, since head injuries aren't a concern of his.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lets tie him up naked, lash him until he bleeds all over, making sure to hit his scotum. Then, when he is physically able to play, have at it.

Oh, but he can't wear a helmet for the first game, since head injuries aren't a concern of his.

My post makes zero sense but I don't have any issue with your recommendation. [emoji6]

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Castrol Motor Oil terminates contract with AP.

Budweiser and Nike are not happy with the NFL.

Radisson has stopped sponsoring the Vikings for now.

University of Minnesota Health evaluating termination of Vikings sponsorship.

The big dogs that the NFL/teams care about are finally stepping up.

This is what is going to make all the NFL owners sit up and listen.