OT - A-Rod's climb up the all-time HR Chart

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night, A-Rod hit HR #662 - putting him exactly 100 HR's behind all-time leader Barry Bonds. His previous HR put him ahead of Willie Mays for #4 on the all-time charts.

1) Can A-Rod hit 100 more homeruns before retiring? He has this year plus two more years left on his Yankees contract.

2) Given that Bonds has eclipsed Aaron already, who would you rather see be #1 - A-Rod or Bonds?

3) For Yankee fans - now that Ruth is #3, will it be a big deal if another person wearing a Yankee uniform passes him?

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW - A-Rod has hit six HR's in his career against the Dbacks:

Against: Bobby Chouinard, Vicente Padilla, Casey Fossum, Steve Sparks, Livan Hernandez and Dan Haren

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A-Rod has hit homers against 26 clubs - never against:
Marlins
Reds
Cubs
Cardinals

The Yanks do play four against the Marlins this year

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Last night, A-Rod hit HR #662 - putting him exactly 100 HR's behind all-time leader Barry Bonds. His previous HR put him ahead of Willie Mays for #4 on the all-time charts.

1) Can A-Rod hit 100 more homeruns before retiring? He has this year plus two more years left on his Yankees contract.

2) Given that Bonds has eclipsed Aaron already, who would you rather see be #1 - A-Rod or Bonds?

3) For Yankee fans - now that Ruth is #3, will it be a big deal if another person wearing a Yankee uniform passes him?
Bonds.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

Says a Giant's fan. You have all been in denial for years. The rest of us saw what a fraud Baroid Bonds was. He is scum.

Seriously, I would love to see Aaron have the record. But that will never happen.

Last edited:

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Says a Giant's fan. You have all been in denial for years. The rest of us saw what a fraud Baroid Bonds was. He is scum.
eh is Bonds a jerk? Yes.
was Bonds a cheater? Yes.
Is he scum? more than likely.
I don't think I'm in denial, but I did love watching him swing the bat and play baseball.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
eh is Bonds a jerk? Yes.
was Bonds a cheater? Yes.
Is he scum? more than likely.
I don't think I'm in denial, but I did love watching him swing the bat and play baseball.

Yes.. Because you were a Giants fan lol.

No way ARod hits 100 more homers. I think i prefer for the record to stay and bonds hands. Things with ARod are just awkward since he has come back. Nobody really likes him and I suspect that Yankees fans don't really care for him either. It wouldn't be very exciting if he broke the record because nobody is really rooting for him

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know Im kinda rambling but what I'm getting at is that fans want this monumental record to be broken. But as much as bonds doesn't deserve it, ARod REALLY doesn't deserve it. He's a total slime lord scum bag

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Baseball records are useless since the 50's when players started taking amphetamines. Babe Ruth is the true HR king but I consider Bonds the greatest player ever.

AZ Native

Reaction score
Baseball records are useless since the 50's when players started taking amphetamines. Babe Ruth is the true HR king but I consider Bonds the greatest player ever.

Which Bonds? The slender singles hitter with the best hand-eye coordination I have ever seen? Or the lying cheating Bonds who abused steroids to make a mockery of his already great career and the MLB?

Give me Ruth, Mays, Mantle or Aaron any day.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Which Bonds? The slender singles hitter with the best hand-eye coordination I have ever seen? Or the lying cheating Bonds who abused steroids to make a mockery of his already great career and the MLB?

Give me Ruth, Mays, Mantle or Aaron any day.

First of all Bonds was never a singles hitter even as a stick figure in Pittsburg. Excluding his rookie season Bonds only had one season slugging under .490

By contrast Pete Rose only had one season slugging over .490 his entire career.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'd prefer Barry Bonds remain the asterisk home run king. At his chemical peak he was the most feared hitter in the history of the game. The year he set the record for base on balls he was walked in over a third of his plate appearances. It is one thing to pitch around a hitter, but teams wouldn't even pitch to Bonds.

AZ Native

Reaction score
I'd prefer Barry Bonds remain the asterisk home run king. At his chemical peak he was the most feared hitter in the history of the game. The year he set the record for base on balls he was walked in over a third of his plate appearances. It is one thing to pitch around a hitter, but teams wouldn't even pitch to Bonds.

Many walked him because he was a cheater. The DBacks come to mind.

AZ Native

Reaction score
First of all Bonds was never a singles hitter even as a stick figure in Pittsburg. Excluding his rookie season Bonds only had one season slugging under .490

By contrast Pete Rose only had one season slugging over .490 his entire career.

Obviously I meant a singles hitter compared to what he morphed into.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I've become numb to the whole steroid era. I actually think rampant PED use was the best thing to happen to the league in the 90s after the strike. Without players like Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, etc hitting 60-70 homers per season, the league would have never recovered.

PED use brought awareness and attention back to the sport when it was hemorrhaging.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed watching these players rake. Who am I to judge? If I had the opportunity to put up torrid numbers and cash in with a multi-million dollar contract, I would've probably done the same.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I've become numb to the whole steroid era. I actually think rampant PED use was the best thing to happen to the league in the 90s after the strike. Without players like Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, etc hitting 60-70 homers per season, the league would have never recovered.

PED use brought awareness and attention back to the sport when it was hemorrhaging.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed watching these players rake. Who am I to judge? If I had the opportunity to put up torrid numbers and cash in with a multi-million dollar contract, I would've probably done the same.
And, once again, the League's brass and teams' brass condoned it. It was good for business. But, when comparing all-time records, it doesn't make it right. And, more than any other, baseball is a sport of records.

AZ Native said:
The D-backs even intentionally walked him with the bases loaded.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It's not considered cheating when the league you play in encourages it by not regulating it. I almost wish Canseco never came out of the roid closet.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Do you have any proof of this?

Anyone who gave Bonds an IBB did so because they thought it would give them the best chance to win the game. Any other reason is simply a travesty to the game and should be shamed.

Also, baseball's obsession with tradition and the past is a big reason why it's a dying sport and why the average age of fans is so elderly.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes.. Because you were a Giants fan lol.

No way ARod hits 100 more homers. I think i prefer for the record to stay and bonds hands. Things with ARod are just awkward since he has come back. Nobody really likes him and I suspect that Yankees fans don't really care for him either. It wouldn't be very exciting if he broke the record because nobody is really rooting for him

He is on pace to hit 40+ this year alone. Taking the year off, and just DH'ing will extend his career.

Yankee Fans cheered loudly and asked for a curtain call after he hit #661

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The D-backs even intentionally walked him with the bases loaded.

I have never in nearly 50 years of watching baseball ever seen that before or since. It is sad that we have to consign those accomplishments to the scrapheap of cheating because it was awesome to witness.

I never saw a player who hit a home run every three at bats that he was actually pitched to. The league was in complete terror of his bat every day. The best seats in the house were not in the stadium but in a canoe in the bay.

In the modern era, I suppose the best home run hitters to admire are probably Jim Thome and Ken Griffey jr.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn