Oscars?

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched it and my party was a huge success.

Big surprise for me - Polanski winning best director. It wasn't because I didn't think he was deserving, I personally thought he should win hands down, but I really truly thought that the Academy would blackball him again. I was extremely happy that they decided to reward him for a masterful job he did with the Pianist.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by FischerKing
Watched it and my party was a huge success.

Big surprise for me - Polanski winning best director. It wasn't because I didn't think he was deserving, I personally thought he should win hands down, but I really truly thought that the Academy would blackball him again. I was extremely happy that they decided to reward him for a masterful job he did with the Pianist.

I can't believe anyone, especially you, would be happy for a convicted child rapist who's been on the run for 26 years. If that's not enough of a reason to blackball someone, I don't know what is. :rolleyes:

I guess 26 years is the Academy's Statute of Statue Limitations...

Disappointing :mad:

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brian in Mesa
I can't believe anyone, especially you, would be happy for a convicted child rapist who's been on the run for 26 years. If that's not enough of a reason to blackball someone, I don't know what is. :rolleyes:

I guess 26 years is the Academy's Statute of Statue Limitations...

Disappointing :mad:

Just shut it Brian. Polanski doesn't hold the exclusive rights to being an artist in trouble with the law. Nobody in their right mind would say that it's all right, so what's the problem? The guy made a good film--that's all. The award wasn't for Polanski's humanitarian efforts, it was for The Pianist, and The Pianist ONLY.

If you want to get political on this issue, start another thread.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When are the Oscars? This weekend?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Academy should tell Polanski to come to the States to pick up his Oscar... :thumbup:

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
Sorry, I have to chime in here.

Polanski didn't get a DUI or get caught w/ some drugs (although that was part of the crime). He drugged and RAPED a teenage girl. Rapists are the lowest scum of mankind. A victim of rape is forever robbed of anything remotely similar to a normal existence. It's a trauma the victim will never get over. Unless you've been subjected to what Polanski put this girl through, you have absolutely no way of comprehending the affect it has on life.

Under current laws, sex offenders are often released after serving minimum sentences if they're even prosecuted. It's a less severe sentencing process than drug offenders go through. The Academy of Farts and Sciences giving an award to a sex offender is just another example of this country's apathy towards this crime.

I never watch the Oscars - this year I was reminded why.

Also, the director of "Jeepers Creepers" was a convicted sex offender. Boycott the crap on celluloid he passes off as art.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by mdamien13
Sorry, I have to chime in here.

Polanski didn't get a DUI or get caught w/ some drugs (although that was part of the crime). He drugged and RAPED a teenage girl. Rapists are the lowest scum of mankind. A victim of rape is forever robbed of anything remotely similar to a normal existence. It's a trauma the victim will never get over. Unless you've been subjected to what Polanski put this girl through, you have absolutely no way of comprehending the affect it has on life.

Under current laws, sex offenders are often released after serving minimum sentences if they're even prosecuted. It's a less severe sentencing process than drug offenders go through. The Academy of Farts and Sciences giving an award to a sex offender is just another example of this country's apathy towards this crime.

I never watch the Oscars - this year I was reminded why.

Also, the director of "Jeepers Creepers" was a convicted sex offender. Boycott the crap on celluloid he passes off as art.

Here's a question: The Oscars are consistently getting slammed as a "sham" or not worth anything. But why, oh why, is this getting so much attention?

This proves two things--the Academy is flawed (not only about Polanski, but about Scorsese's snubbing), AND the Oscars have a lot more influence than people think.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, i'd say this is an Oscar thread, so hence the reason people are talking about the Oscars here...not sure about any kind of influence.

And, just so I may say it, I think it's lame to award a guy who drugged and raped a girl, and also who can't accept it because he'd be arrested.

On a good note, I loved Adrian Brody winning, his speech was great and that kiss he planted on Halle Berry was just awesome.

Mike

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chandler Mike
Well, i'd say this is an Oscar thread, so hence the reason people are talking about the Oscars here...not sure about any kind of influence.

That's the point. Everyone keeps saying they don't watch the Oscars, they don't care about the Oscars, etc... But in reality, this thread proves that they have more influence than many think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson