Online banking

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently bank with Bank of America, but am pretty sure I will be switching banks since they are "phasing out" my particular type of checking account (translation: new fees coming for me). I have been happy with Bank of America and have a bunch of auto deposits and withdrawals set up with my account; but, I don't like the monthly fee idea at all. (It's a principle thing for me.)

So, I started looking at other options and online banking might seem like the way to go. Do any of you guys do online checking? If so, how do you like it? What are the pros and cons? And how do I deposit cash or live checks into an online checking account?

Any info you have would be appreciated. Thanks!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently bank with Bank of America, but am pretty sure I will be switching banks since they are "phasing out" my particular type of checking account (translation: new fees coming for me). I have been happy with Bank of America and have a bunch of auto deposits and withdrawals set up with my account; but, I don't like the monthly fee idea at all. (It's a principle thing for me.)

So, I started looking at other options and online banking might seem like the way to go. Do any of you guys do online checking? If so, how do you like it? What are the pros and cons? And how do I deposit cash or live checks into an online checking account?

Any info you have would be appreciated. Thanks!

I do almost everything online with my Wells Fargo. It's crazy but I still deposit checks the old fashioned way in the bank. I don't trust the ATM for deposits yet trust online banking, stupid I know but that's me.

I do like it you can set things up to pay days in advance so you don't have to remember to mail something. You just have to remember that with online banking they deduct it from your account before the payee gets it. When you write a check to ABC it's not out of your account until ABC deposits it. Online it's out of your account on the day it settles, before ABC gets it and deposits it. People forget this and get overdrawn.

I also love the ability to do transfers online, my dad has WF too so when I was repaying some money to him I just did online transfers.

I love it. WF is changing though I get mine for free by having direct deposit and having a monthly transfer from checking to savings, I'm not sure if they still offer that for free to new customers though.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Have never tried it - makes me nervous.

I don't even do auto bill payments. Chase has managed to screw up my account on ocassion (just 2x) and that's without doing online bill payments.

I still prefer to keep track and manage my own accounts via Quicken and just use that register w/printed checks.

OP
OP
Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I guess my main concern is how do I even deposit checks? Do I still do that at an ATM? I deposit cash and checks all the time at my B of A ATM with no problems. And I do a lot of auto payments and transfers already to other accounts. I love it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I guess my main concern is how do I even deposit checks? Do I still do that at an ATM? I deposit cash and checks all the time at my B of A ATM with no problems. And I do a lot of auto payments and transfers already to other accounts. I love it.

I think the only more automated way to deposit checks is using smart phones now but I don't know if all banks do it. I know chase does i see the ads on tv.

Paychecks are all direct deposit for me, if I get another check I go into the bank to deposit I don't know of a way to do that online.

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
I think the only more automated way to deposit checks is using smart phones now but I don't know if all banks do it. I know chase does i see the ads on tv.

Paychecks are all direct deposit for me, if I get another check I go into the bank to deposit I don't know of a way to do that online.

I know Charles Schwab offers the ability to deposit just by snapping a photo of the check. Well at least according to their commercials. I know nothing else about their checking accounts online. Sorry.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have two savings accounts with Wells Fargo and just got hit with a $10 monthly fee on both of them out of nowhere. I called them and they said it's just the cost of the account. I'm livid. $20 for saving money in their bank? BS.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chase has check depositing capabilities at ATM's and with smart phones.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
USAA banking is now available to everyone, instead of just the military. I deposit checks via my printer/scanner. Quick and easy - and no stupid monthly fees!

You can depost money via UPS stores, I believe.

Only hassle is when you lose your debit card (like I did this week) and have to wait 2 days to get a new one. Can't get any cash out of an ATM cuz I don't have a card or a branch to go to! But obviously not everyone loses their card all the time :)

Oh that reminds me, they also reimburse ATM fees (up to 15.00 per statement, I believe).

I am also able to do online transfers/bill pay with them, but I choose to pay my bills manually online as opposed to bill pay.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have two savings accounts with Wells Fargo and just got hit with a $10 monthly fee on both of them out of nowhere. I called them and they said it's just the cost of the account. I'm livid. $20 for saving money in their bank? BS.

yeah if they ever start charging me I'll just close the account and go somewhere else.

I have a credit union account with 7.33 in it. The only reason I keep it open is if I get fed up with Banks I can get free checking et al there.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
unfortunately, everyone is charging. Unless you keep a "minimum combined balance."

You can also keep your WF accounts free by setting up a monthly transfer. 50-150 depending on the account.

OP
OP
Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's how I feel, especially after the whole bailout thing.

OP
OP
Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
USAA banking is now available to everyone, instead of just the military. I deposit checks via my printer/scanner. Quick and easy - and no stupid monthly fees!

You can depost money via UPS stores, I believe.

Only hassle is when you lose your debit card (like I did this week) and have to wait 2 days to get a new one. Can't get any cash out of an ATM cuz I don't have a card or a branch to go to! But obviously not everyone loses their card all the time :)

Oh that reminds me, they also reimburse ATM fees (up to 15.00 per statement, I believe).

I am also able to do online transfers/bill pay with them, but I choose to pay my bills manually online as opposed to bill pay.

I was looking at them. I like that I can deposit checks via scanner. So, what do you do? Scan and email the check? How long does it take to post to the account?

I rarely to never just go to an ATM and take out money. I use my card pretty much everywhere and, when I do need cash, I usually just go to the Circle K, grab a soda or some gum and take out extra.

So, Kate, can I set up my account to transfer money to people with bank accounts at other places? For instance, I sometimes transfer money to my sis or my parents, but we all have B of A accounts. Can I transfer from USAA to a B of A account? Also, how do you pay a bill if you have to mail a check?

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking at them. I like that I can deposit checks via scanner. So, what do you do? Scan and email the check? How long does it take to post to the account?

I rarely to never just go to an ATM and take out money. I use my card pretty much everywhere and, when I do need cash, I usually just go to the Circle K, grab a soda or some gum and take out extra.

So, Kate, can I set up my account to transfer money to people with bank accounts at other places? For instance, I sometimes transfer money to my sis or my parents, but we all have B of A accounts. Can I transfer from USAA to a B of A account? Also, how do you pay a bill if you have to mail a check?

Basically, you just scan both sides of the check and that's it. Takes all of 2 minutes. It posts immediately.

Yes, you can transfer money to other people, just need their banking info. I have all of my other accounts set up so I can transfer money to it when need be. Back in the day, my mom and I also had it where we could transfer money to each other. Even if I were to take money from a non-USAA account TO my USAA account, the money would be made available immediately.

I honestly love them. Their website is very easy to use as well.

Not sure what you mean by "how do you pay a bill if you have to mail a check" Sorry :(

AZZenny

Reaction score
Take a look at CapitalOne banking - I opened a modest checking account just to have an international no foreign exchange fee debit card. So far, admittedly very limited experience, I've been pleased enough, and they have some high-interest savings and checking I am going to take advantage of since Chase pisses me off and CapOne can beat the rate my financial services people are offering by a large margin.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have BofA. No fees on any of our other accounts because our mortgage is with them. Same with the upcoming debit card fees - not for us. :cool:

OP
OP
Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have BofA. No fees on any of our other accounts because our mortgage is with them. Same with the upcoming debit card fees - not for us. :cool:

My account would be free if I used their credit cards a few times a month, something I don't plan to do.

OP
OP
Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by "how do you pay a bill if you have to mail a check" Sorry :(

I have two bills (homeowners association and another) that I cannot pay online; I have to write out a check and put it in the mail. You know, old school. :p

So, how do I do this with this type of account? Do they provide me with a certain amount of checks or do I request them as needed and they print them for me? Does this make sense?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can also keep your WF accounts free by setting up a monthly transfer. 50-150 depending on the account.

Yep mine is 50 and for awhile I was immediately putting it back into checking and they don't care. I just decided might as well use it as a savings feature so I stopped transferring it back.

I was told they were considering charging for in bank transactions, you walk in to deposit a check they were going to charge for that.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
Yep mine is 50 and for awhile I was immediately putting it back into checking and they don't care. I just decided might as well use it as a savings feature so I stopped transferring it back.

I was told they were considering charging for in bank transactions, you walk in to deposit a check they were going to charge for that.

Not true, they do have a pilot program going in 5 states where you are charged a $3 monthly fee for debit card use tho.

99% of the fees you are charged are determined by the Feds. In my time with WF I have had to learn and relearn so many fed regulations it makes me sick.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
I have two bills (homeowners association and another) that I cannot pay online; I have to write out a check and put it in the mail. You know, old school. :p

So, how do I do this with this type of account? Do they provide me with a certain amount of checks or do I request them as needed and they print them for me? Does this make sense?

Majority of banks offer online bill pay. Essentially they mail a cashiers check/money order for you. Typically takes 2-3 days to get to the place.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They will send you a book of checks to use, yes. I pay my HOA fees via check as well because they only way to pay them online is to give them my checking account info and no way will I do that! :)

Oh and I am an idiot, I was totally reading your question wrong in the previous post, sorry.

OP
OP
Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They will send you a book of checks to use, yes. I pay my HOA fees via check as well because they only way to pay them online is to give them my checking account info and no way will I do that! :)

Oh and I am an idiot, I was totally reading your question wrong in the previous post, sorry.

Cool. Thanks! I will check them out!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stick with Credit Unions. Screw the big banks and all of their bogus fees.

I've used Truwest Credit Union for the last 15 years (they didn't take any bailout money):

https://www.truwest.org/

Even my checking acount accrues interest and I don't pay a monthly fee for any of my accounts. Online banking includes free bill payment. You can even set it up so that they will mail bills to those companies who don't allow online bill payment. Free use of other Credit Union ATMs like Dessert Schools.

Mike

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard