One Last Off-Season Murray Thread

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Harry, May 13, 2019.

1. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

I value his opinions greatly but nobody has legit inside info. It’s just fun to speculate.

2. BleedRed

BleedRed Registered

The difference between Murray and players like Andre Ware is talent. Murray has elite mobility and elite arm talent. While the system he was in was great for QB's he also has the talent that will translate to the next level. I feel confident this "gamble" SK and MB have played will pan out big time.

I also agree with Harry's post in that KK is solely responsible for the offense and we have hired a defensive coordinator and staff that I think will quickly bring us back to being one of the elite defenses in the league where we belong.

As much as anything I think the support system of coaches around KK will allow his system to be successful, and now post draft our roster is much better prepared for the things he will want to do with this offense.

cardncubfan, Cardinal and daves like this.
  3. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

I suspect that the future success of the New Look Cardinals will have more to do with how well Murray executes one-on-one (i.e. completions, TD's, ground yards, interceptions) than how good the offensive system is put together.

A couple of other random observations:

- The Chipster's offense struggled in part because its pass-heavy philosophy gave the other team the ball for too much of the game.

- A hidden problem with a "different" offense is that too few QB's and other scheme-fitting players fill the pipeline (i.e. when your QB goes down, who's gonna replace him)?

Solar7 likes this.
  4. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks ASFN Contributor Contributor

That's a question most teams can't answer regardless of the system they run. Also a lot of college QBs, of many different skill sets, are succesful in this style of offense and it would just be a matter of finding a backup that can handle the size, skill and speed of opposing defenses at the NFL level.

5. Cardinal

Cardinal Registered

I bet a lot of people don't realize that Andre Ware had -144 rushing yards in his collegiate career. The athletism disparity between him and Kyler are substantial.

Chip Kelly's offense struggled because it was pass heavy? I think there's some revisionist history going on there.

2013 Eagles
    2nd in total yards,
    4th in points per game
    1st in rushing yards
    9th in passing yards

2014 Eagles
    5th in total yards
    3rd in points per game
    9th in rushing yards
    6th in passing yards

2015 Eagles
    12th in total yards
    13th in points per game
    14th in rushing yards
    12th in passing yards

2016 49ers
    31st in total yards
    27th in points per game
    4th in rushing yards
    32nd in passing yards

6. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

h
    his problem IMO was not having enough TOP, not that he didnt run the ball.

7. BleedRed

BleedRed Registered

Chip Kelly had a huge ego and if I remember correctly he was pretty much the gm as well. He traded Shady McCoy and for Kiko Alonso and released DeSean Jackson. He thought his system would work with sub par talent. I think they even let Jeremy Maclin walk. There is no comparison between the two situations.

daves likes this.
  8. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks ASFN Contributor Contributor

His philosophy was to go no huddle and get the next snap off quickly (if I remember correctly). Obviously that comes with negatives such as a 3 and out means your defense got like a minutes of rest. I don’t suspect the Cardinals will be doing that. Probably plenty of no huddle, but not with the same philosophy for pace.

daves likes this.
  9. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

exactly.

10. ARZCardinals

ARZCardinals Registered

He's by far the better chance at winning a Super Bowl over Josh with KK as the coach.
    IMHO the Patriots would have been best served getting Josh to learn under TB for a year or two...then have Josh McDaniels take over and keep the train running.
    Miami is as bad as AZ (other than the weather)...Josh's career path will maintain what it was last year....not good.

I wouldn't have taken a free ticket to see the Cardinals this year with Josh at the helm...but I'd pay to see Murray play.

11. Cardinal

Cardinal Registered

Yup. Let’s not forget that Chip Kelly doesn’t even run the Air Raid.

12. BW52

BW52 Registered

It continues to amaze me that some narrow minded fans seem to blame Rosen for the crap show last season.Cards already have made improvements in several areas and had a good draft(except for the 1st pick,I would have went defense) and Murray has more help already than Rosen had at any time last season. This season is going to be a huge crap shoot...
    Who knows how it will go one thing is for sure ..
    Murray and KK will get more than one season to succeed and not be railroaded out of town.

Delmar M Lewis likes this.
  13. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

You're mixing up Rushing Yards Gained - with Clock Used Up by Calling More Running Plays.

A team could chew up big yardage on a small number of running plays, with less time consumed than if it ran a lot of short-yardage stuff.

14. Cardinal

Cardinal Registered

I understand that you meant to talk Chip’s offensive philosophy affecting time of possession, but you’re wrong about his offense being too pass heavy.

Just because his offense plays fast, doesn’t mean he doesn’t run the ball enough. Those Oregon teams were built on running the ball.

Let’s look at rushing/passing attempts of Chip’s NFL teams...

2013 Eagles
    4th in rushing attempts
    27th in passing attempts

2014 Eagles
    7th in rushing attempts
    5th in passing attemps

2015 Eagles
    11th in rushing attempts
    6th in passing attempts

2016 49ers
    5th in rushing attempts
    29th in passing attempts

Again I agree that his offense played too fast but it didn’t have anything to do with not running the ball enough.

daves and CardsSunsDbacks like this.
  15. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

I like your new avatar better than that old one.

ARZCardinals likes this.