Olympic Predictions

okhoops

Rookie
Reaction score
Time for some predictions with the Games only a few weeks away. Here goes.

I hate to say it folks, but the U.S. team need to show that the same issues that plagued the it in the last three international competitions have been solved: 1. Their ability to "consistently" hit the open three shot (USA 2008 still isn't stacked with pure shooters); 2. Control the boards (they are undersized); and 3. defensively handle good (not Canada) international teams that incorporate tons of motion, back door cuts and pick and roll off of motion. They will be better prepared with the three-year Coach K plan but it still necessitates that players who have not been drilled year after year on defensive principles to combat such offensive schemes can adapt consistently. I see bumps in the road. When they're kicking the crap out of the lesser lights, everyone will be beating their chests and talking smack. It will be interesting to see how they handle the inevitable adversity.

Unconvinced that much has changed, I see it as follows:

Gold - Argentina (deep, tough, tons of veteran saavy, and confident they can beat the US with two recent wins)
Silver - USA (see above, worn down by tourney's end)
Bronze - Spain (could win the whole thing. Have size, shooters and this could be Jose Calderon's coming out party).

Let's have your predictions and justification.

ShuHanGuanYu

Registered
Reaction score
There is one thing you didn't account for that has changed between past teams and the current team. That's Kobe Bryant. A lineup of Kidd/Wade/Bryant/Anthony/Howard with LeBron as the sixth man is going to fare a lot better than a lineup that started Kirk Hinrich and Shane Battier and started Elton Brand at center half the time.

While you are correct in that team USA may still exhibit some of the same weaknesses that they will have to overcome, I believe they have become a better overall team that has improved in several regards. They have increased their overall level of talent and they currently seem to be healthy. While they are still untested on the grand scale, I think they have what it takes this time around.

I predict that Team USA will win the Gold medal.

OP
OP
O

okhoops

Rookie
Reaction score
Top three, ladies and gents. Let's have some fun and predict the podium finishers.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Obviously the USA team should win. The 2004 team was so badly constructed they had probably over achieved. The sad truth is that Duncan was useless being forced so far away from the basket and their PG's were guys like Marbury who is useless in a ball movement offense.

Two years ago the USA team simply did not know how to play defense. We can only hope this group has learned from their mistakes.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
If you compare Team USA 2006 and Team USA 2008, the staff got rid of Hinrich, JJ, Battier, Jamison, Brand and Brad Miller and replaced them by Kidd, D.Williams, Redd, Kobe, Prince and Boozer.

That's a huge leap talent-wise (especially if you consider that Wade, Lebron, Paul, Bosh, Anthony and Howard are 2 years older) and the offensive power of this team defies comparison.

It doesn't solve much of Team USA's usual problems against Fiba teams (lack of outside shooting, switching and inside defense) and obviously, they'll probably struggle more after the preliminary round, playing against teams heavily relying on zone D and pick and roll/screening offense.

But as long as they play to their strengths, I think it should be a cakewalk for them.

1- USA
2- Spain
3- Lithuania
4- Greece
5- Argentina
6- Russia
7- Croatia
8- Germany

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is going to be dominance that hasn't been seen in some time. This Olympic team is built to win in the international game with strong shooters and slashers. Big men are virtually irrelevant on this stage.

Gold: USA
Silver: Greece
Bronze: Argentina

ShuHanGuanYu

Registered
Reaction score
I really wish Colangelo had kept JJ. Again.

JJ was cold for most of his 2006 Olympic trial. He had his moments, but I was surprised he couldn't shoot in the 45+% range from the Euro three...he barely broke 30%.

Michael fills that role better than JJ did.

Bayless2Budinger

Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually not too excited for the basketball part of the Olympic Games. The only thing I'm excited about seeing in basketball is Ricky Rubio. This will be his coming out party.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
It's interesting just how big a deal playing zone is to the game. Most NBA teams are designed to get to the basket and coaches (other than D'Antoni) actively discourage three point shooting.

A well designed zone with guys used to working together can all but eliminate dribble drives. Zones are vulnerable to back screens, high post shooters, and lots of three point shooters; but that is not the kind of offense NBA teams operate.

Rockstar23

Reaction score
Gold - United States - Not one game will be close (with in 15 points) :thumbup:
Silver - Argentina
Bronze - Spain

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm actually not too excited for the basketball part of the Olympic Games. The only thing I'm excited about seeing in basketball is Ricky Rubio. This will be his coming out party.
Really? I haven't been this excited about International basketball since '92. The US trying to regain credibility on the International stage against an ever improving group of teams. Should be good stuff, especially because pretty much EVERYONE wants the US to lose.

ShuHanGuanYu

Registered
Reaction score
Really? I haven't been this excited about International basketball since '92. The US trying to regain credibility on the International stage against an ever improving group of teams. Should be good stuff, especially because pretty much EVERYONE wants the US to lose.

Everyone not an American, that is. The fact that everyone wants the U.S. to lose will make it that much better if they bring home the gold.

I'm all riled up about it this year, ready to get this thing goin'.

Rekindled

Rookie
Reaction score
I think spain is really really good, they have a stacked roster, they beat up argentina(with ginoibli , although clearly not 100%) twice, blow out the 2nd time. I am excited to see ricky rubio play against US since he is already regarded as future no.1 pick.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen