OK someone explain the LinkedIn IPO please

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slated to open 32-35, day before they up it to 45. Opens at 83, in day high of 122.70 closes at 94.75.

I am on it but I'm not a huge fan of it and the valuation from that price is ridiculous.

I shudder to think what Facebook would do if Linked In is that strong.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought and am selling half tomorrow. The other half I am going options.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Momentum chasing algos drove the price parabolicly up so fast at one point it had a P/E of close to 1200X.

This is the natural result of HFT POMO money seeking yield with no regard to paying attention to any semblance of market fundamentals. I can see why people are doing it, but anyone who stays in a trade for longer than several minutes is just playing with dynamite IMO.

JTS

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just showing no one learned anything from the dot.com bubble

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sold half. Made my investment and more back. Holding on to the other half and may option call it.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sold half. Made my investment and more back. Holding on to the other half and may option call it.

If it's not too personal how were you able to buy low enough to make that profit did you have friends and family stock or something? that's an awesome feeling when you still have half left and already have your profit.

I know a couple of people who work there but from what I heard they weren't overly generous on friends and family stock so I didn't expect either of them to offer and they didn't.

If you can get in low enough what you did is the way to go.

When I worked at Centillium I took my friends and family stock from 18 to 60 and then sold and I could have held until we cracked 100 had I known. the beauty is stock options are always locked up for 3 months but F&F stock has no lockup period.

I tried to buy VMWare just after the IPO but I didn't have enough money small trades were impossible to get through.

as of now the market value is 8.9 billion, for comparison AMD is 5.9 billion. Not that they're comparable companies in what they do or size it's just one the local paper used to point out the numbers.

I guess Zynga is expected to be next.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's not too personal how were you able to buy low enough to make that profit did you have friends and family stock or something? that's an awesome feeling when you still have half left and already have your profit.

I know a couple of people who work there but from what I heard they weren't overly generous on friends and family stock so I didn't expect either of them to offer and they didn't.

If you can get in low enough what you did is the way to go.

When I worked at Centillium I took my friends and family stock from 18 to 60 and then sold and I could have held until we cracked 100 had I known. the beauty is stock options are always locked up for 3 months but F&F stock has no lockup period.

I tried to buy VMWare just after the IPO but I didn't have enough money small trades were impossible to get through.

as of now the market value is 8.9 billion, for comparison AMD is 5.9 billion. Not that they're comparable companies in what they do or size it's just one the local paper used to point out the numbers.

I guess Zynga is expected to be next.

I bought @ $45.00 and sold @ $103.49

I told my financial broker some time ago to keep an eye on it and do whatever it took to get in @ the lowball. And I was shocked to find out he was able to. I imagine he had a conglomerate with his clients and bought in bulk and made allocation to portfolios.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought @ $45.00 and sold @ $103.49

I told my financial broker some time ago to keep an eye on it and do whatever it took to get in @ the lowball. And I was shocked to find out he was able to. I imagine he had a conglomerate with his clients and bought in bulk and made allocation to portfolios.

Wow you are my hero, that's the dream to be able to buy in at the opening price like that.

Yeah it must have been some huge block of shares they got access to that is pretty cool.

I thnk it's a bit easier now because of all the crackdowns on underwriters letting rich folks like Meg Whitman buy into IPO's exclusively. the SEC cracked down on that and I think that opens up more shares for the rest of us normal folk.

that's a great trade you more than doubled.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I can't fault anyone who trades for a profit but fundamentally this is insane IMO.

I've seen the product and I can't believe anyone values it at that much, it's crazy IMO, but what do I know.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't fault anyone who trades for a profit but fundamentally this is insane IMO.

I've seen the product and I can't believe anyone values it at that much, it's crazy IMO, but what do I know.

Closed at 78.63 today so well off the high but still way too high.

Will be interesting, Groupon filed for an IPO today, not sure when but it's "highly anticipated" just liked Linked In.