Official English Premiere League Thread

gr000000vy

I scored against Derby
Reaction score
Keane back to Tott'ham... crazy now they have five strikers and no defense.. Dos Santos move to Portsmouth fell through because he is not match fit as well....

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Arsenal proving to be the best team in the EPL so far in this early season! Go Gunners!

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
has been nice to see a couple chelsea games this year - watched the one vs stoke this past weekend - very flat 1st half and they were fortunate to be even ..... they absolutely controlled the 2nd half though although stoke did a great job at keeping the ball out of the net

i had to make an airport run with 5 minutes left and was surprised to see them end up winning 2-1 with a stoppage time goal

tottenham should be a good test coming up for EPL play - spurs were the last team to hand chelsea a loss in EPL

hopefully that one will be on TV as well

Tottenham_lad

Reaction score
has been nice to see a couple chelsea games this year - watched the one vs stoke this past weekend - very flat 1st half and they were fortunate to be even ..... they absolutely controlled the 2nd half though although stoke did a great job at keeping the ball out of the net

i had to make an airport run with 5 minutes left and was surprised to see them end up winning 2-1 with a stoppage time goal

tottenham should be a good test coming up for EPL play - spurs were the last team to hand chelsea a loss in EPL

hopefully that one will be on TV as well

Hey, I was meant to be going to that game but I have a lot on my plate at the moment! Including my upcoming trip to LV/Arizona.

COYS! :)

I hope we spank those South London Chavs! :D:D

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
and i hope chelsea shows better than they did against porto........

this game could tilt the all time records between these clubs - although it's already pretty tilted if just looking at premier league contests ;)

Tottenham_lad

Reaction score
and i hope chelsea shows better than they did against porto........

this game could tilt the all time records between these clubs - although it's already pretty tilted if just looking at premier league contests ;)

Aaaand IF you know your history... it's enough to make your heart go wooooooooahhhh!!!

First English club to do the double (FA cup + league)
First team to win the UEFA cup
First British club to win a European cup

Okay, okay our much more recent form over the years has been average to say the least, but a club is built on it's foundations of history and ours competes with the best.

We've got a long, long way to go until we're anywhere near competing with the best at the moment, but I think we're going the right way about it.

It does make me a little upset to see how football was and how it is now. It's a totally different sport and it sucks we'll never get to re-live 'proper' football. Back 'in the day' we had REAL supporters running football clubs, we had proper football players like Dave Mackay, Glenn Hoddle, Jimmy Greaves, Ossie Ardiles, Ricky Villa, A&C (to name just a few Spurs ones)... we had proper fans (none of this sitting down cr@p or corporate rubbish, we were all standing...), we didn't have diving to the extent we do today or feigning injuries... you didn't get yellow and red cards handed out left right and centre - to get a red card back during the golden years (60's & 70's) you had to pretty much knock an opposition player out!

You had footballers who gave a DAMN about the clubs and there was a thing called LOYALTY. This was before big money came into football where the players played because they loved the game, playing in front of 70,000 fans every week and having the opportunity to represent their country for the world cups.

It is pretty sad really.

Rugby Union - now there's a sport that has changed very little in the last century!!!

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I enjoyed rugby when I was over there as well - didn't have a long stay, but really enjoyed my time in london

it was when the rugby world cup was going on in wales - going to the pubs of NZ, SA or Aussie supporters was absolutely wild

i went to a few soccer matches of lower division teams as well and they were a ton of fun

i think i was there right when things started to change for chelsea as far as their image - toward the end of the ken bates days when they had zola, desailly, and a very continential flair to the team - the bridge was being renovated and chelsea village was pretty much complete including the megastore

they even had big money to spend on transfer like chris sutton!!!!!!!!!!

at that time they were starting to be seen as the local fashion team, high spenders, continentials with a come lately fanbase and that has only increased with roman leading it up

i actually got into the team due to a professor over there who was a long time chelsea supporter going back to their less financially secure, more hooligan fanbase days ..... went to the opener that year on his tickets and watched them beat sunderland and was hooked on it

even though i'm sure that game has changed a lot like the NFL here, the fans are still the constant

as long as you can go to the pub before the match and then rejoin afterwards to watch all the highlights and sing and drink then things are going OK

Tottenham_lad

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Cool story – I know it wasn’t that long ago Chelsea struggled to get like 15,000 fans to their home games when they were in the old 2nd division. Also, people seem to forget that Chelsea were already an established top 4 Premiership club before Roman bought them, so they were doing very well with top European football and beating most of the Premiership.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]First and foremost though I am a Tottenham fan above being a supporter of football in general or even the English national team. I’m always club before country. I can’t help it; it’s just where my emotion lies. It would take a hell of a lot for me to give up my season ticket.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It should be a good game Sunday, but I predict Chelsea to win 3-1. Spurs to score first and Chelsea taking it comfortably. I do hope I’m wrong though – I’m not the most optimistic of fans haha.[/FONT]

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Cool story – I know it wasn’t that long ago Chelsea struggled to get like 15,000 fans to their home games when they were in the old 2nd division. Also, people seem to forget that Chelsea were already an established top 4 Premiership club before Roman bought them, so they were doing very well with top European football and beating most of the Premiership.[/FONT]
My first ever Leeds game was away at Chelsea in March 1991. They only had about 17,000 that day and it seemed half were Leeds fans (and that was the 1st division!)

And it is ALWAYS club before country IMO. I don't take footie fans seriously if they pick country over club (this only really applies in UK, couldn;t speak for the US).

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dont you love how united is allowed as much time as possible to score?

Despite referee Mark Atkinson deciding that four extra minutes would be played, Owen's strike came six minutes into injury time as United secured a memorable 4-3 victory.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
United pigs

Manchester City defender Javier Garrido has accused derby rivals Manchester United of creating a hostile climate between the two clubs.

Craig Bellamy will not be investigated by City over his clash with a United fan
Substitute Garrido was struck on the head by a coin - clearly aimed at City's Carlos Tevez, once of United - as he headed down the tunnel at half-time of the derby at Old Trafford which United won 4-3.

And the Spaniard believes City are the innocent parties in a match which saw his team-mate Craig Bellamy involved in a confrontation when a a fan ran on the pitch. City have announced their intention not to charge Bellamy, as confirmed by assistant-manager Mark Bowen,

Garrido told the Daily Mail: "I've been in England for two seasons and this was the match with more fanaticism than any other.

"I know other derbies but this atmosphere was incredible with insults flying as soon as we arrived at the stadium."

Garrido believes he was not the target in the coin-throwing incident. He added: "I was hit by a coin on the head when I was just walking calmly down the tunnel but I believe the target was Carlos Tevez, but I was standing next to him at the time. This was seen by Manchester United staff but nobody offered any kind of reason.

"Manchester City have not provoked any of this controversy and United have created a climate of hostility against us."

Bowen told BBC Radio Five Live that Bellamy's move to hit a fan who was under the control of stewards was potentially a defensive reflex.

"Craig had been our talisman on the day and brought us back into the game twice," he said. "A goal had just gone in and Craig was going to the fella to say in no uncertain terms to get off the pitch.

"Obviously I can't quote exactly what he said but it was like 'Get off the pitch'. We were still in the game and it only takes a second to score a goal. My take is that he thought the fella might spit in his face or something. He came very close and moved towards him. Craig, with an open hand, just pushed the fella away."

Asked if there would be any action taken by City against the striker, Bowen said: "No. I don't think there is any need to."

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Look, I despise ManU as much as the next guy, but blaming the team for two fans' stupid antics? Man City fans will be just as fanatic and rowdy when they're the home team. Don't even start to think otherwise.

I'd love for you to actually take off the rose-colored glasses and post an article detailing United's side.

"United have create a climate of hostility against us." Well, duh. This is football. ALL derbies are like that.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not mine. We're top of the league, unbeaten as well. Although were only in league one. Still, our march back to the big time has begun!

Tottenham_lad

Reaction score
International break my friend.

And of course, England finish the World Cup Qualifiers with a win. :)

Anyone going to SA next year? I have fam there but damn the flights were expensive!!!

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man Man City is drawing every single game! Ugh. Why does Tevez start on the bench. He changes the whole damn game when they finally bring him out.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
what's 9 goals between friends?!

has to revive some spirits that may of been sagging after the arsenal match

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard