Official Cards/SF game thread.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Redsz said:
I thought JJ did pretty well. He got a decent work load today and ideally we need to give him the ball about 15 times a game. So this was a good test for him IMO. I thought at times he was establishing a decent rythm (sp?) in the offense. We still passed way too much, though.

I also noticed he's improving in blitz pickup, had several nice ones although he whiffed on one pretty badly.

What I notice in the passing game is Warner finds something that exposes Johnson or McCoy, goes to them several times in one drive, and then ignores them the rest of the game. I guess he sees something, the defense takes it away and he just says screw this Fitz and Boldin every throw?

We MUST keep Warner, the 2nd pick was an awful decision but given the lack of run game and the other issues he's proving he's still a good NFL QB and his experience is so valuable to this team.

Leckey took a big step back today IMHO.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I also noticed he's improving in blitz pickup, had several nice ones although he whiffed on one pretty badly.

What I notice in the passing game is Warner finds something that exposes Johnson or McCoy, goes to them several times in one drive, and then ignores them the rest of the game. I guess he sees something, the defense takes it away and he just says screw this Fitz and Boldin every throw?

We MUST keep Warner, the 2nd pick was an awful decision but given the lack of run game and the other issues he's proving he's still a good NFL QB and his experience is so valuable to this team.

Yea agreed on Leckey. Who will we get to back up KW? Highly unlikely he can last for all 16 games next year though unless we have a dramatic improvent in the OL, even though our Pass blocking has been decent.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
BigRedArk said:
How did you wind up being a Cards fan? Did you used to live in the States?

just picked them about 20 years ago when a school! and loved them ever since!

only saw my first live games when i visited AZ (and the states for that matter) last month!!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

I don't know about that. The first holding call was bullcrap. He's still more consistent in making his blocks than Step was.

Did everyone forget we were starting Haayer and Wakefield at G today? The fact that we beat ANY NFL team in their building with those two starting is an upset. Props to the team for playing HARD and not letting the constant mistakes put us in the tank like a Tobin or McGinnis team would've done.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
English on tour said:
just picked them about 20 years ago when a school! and loved them ever since!

only saw my first live games when i visited AZ (and the states for that matter) last month!!

Ha ha that's great I love it. You have been suffering for it ever since lol!!! What game did you see? Are you gonna make it next year to the new stadium?

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
I don't know about that. The first holding call was bullcrap. He's still more consistent in making his blocks than Step was.

Did everyone forget we were starting Haayer and Wakefield at G today? The fact that we beat ANY NFL team in their building with those two starting is an upset. Props to the team for playing HARD and not letting the constant mistakes put us in the tank like a Tobin or McGinnis team would've done.

Good point aj. He is much better than Step has been there this year. We gotta fix that OL for next year. Hope we get a new OL coach.

English on tour

Reaction score
BigRedArk said:
Ha ha that's great I love it. You have been suffering for it ever since lol!!! What game did you see? Are you gonna make it next year to the new stadium?

titans and seahawks!! it was just the best trip ever!! - even Mrs English enjoyed the games :)

we are thinking about it but will prob be the year after as its so expensive!!

nights like this (its 12.40 now) make it all worthwhile though :thumbup:

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
English on tour said:
titans and seahawks!! it was just the best trip ever!! - even Mrs English enjoyed the games :)

we are thinking about it but will prob be the year after as its so expensive!!

nights like this (its 12.40 now) make it all worthwhile though :thumbup:

Yeah it does. Can you get 'em on Sirrius sattelite radio or can you get Sunday Ticket on Directv?

English on tour

Reaction score
BigRedArk said:
Yeah it does. Can you get 'em on Sirrius sattelite radio or can you get Sunday Ticket on Directv?

we get 2 live games on a sunday night ......usually get cards once a year!!

i get the cards webcast on game days!

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

With his size he is going to get pushed around now and then (when it comes to blocking). But then you watch Steven Jackson whiff on so many blitz pick ups and come to realize that it is more technique and attitude rather than strength or size. I think JJ has the determination to be good at picking it up. He just has to get his technique down.

About Warner, I agree it is weird how he spreads the ball around. These 2 yd dump off's to Femi' kill me. But then I guess you could say it subsitutes for a handoff to the RB. Fitz and Q are the real deal though and continue to amaze me. There is always a little bit of excitment in the air for me everytime they touch the ball.

And quite a contrast for Leckey. Last week he was outstanding, today not so much. It's seems it's ether feast or famine for the entire o-line.

AzWins23

Reaction score
HardBall said:
Truly one of the ugliest football contests I think any of us has ever seen. Now let's roll through the rest of the season. Starting with the Skins at home next week. God, I would love to beat Indy!!!

All smiles in Scottsdale!!!!

:D :cheers:

Nope....If your talking about ugliest win..Then yes....Ugliest lost was Buffalo last year!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:

he tackled the guy IMHO, I thought it was a good call albeit late.

But even if you accept it as a bad call he had another hold, and a bad snap on the first run play of the game. I think he's better than Step but I expected him to do better in this game than he did.

Haayer had 2 false starts and several missed blocks, adn Ross was awful in pass protection but pretty good in run blocking. Ross is a guard IMHO.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Also, two things:

1) 2 road wins in a row.

2) First win in SF since the late 1970's (I think this may have been mentioned).

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Redsz said:
Also, two things:

1) 2 road wins in a row.

2) First win in SF since the late 1970's (I think this may have been mentioned).
The 1st win in SF since Joe Montana was the QB of Notre Dame.:thumbup:

Redrage

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
HardBall said:
Truly one of the ugliest football contests I think any of us has ever seen. Now let's roll through the rest of the season. Starting with the Skins at home next week. God, I would love to beat Indy!!!

All smiles in Scottsdale!!!!

:D :cheers:

How many people have said this now? DOes anyone remember Kevin Butler's kick ricochetting of the upright to beat Dallas in '97? Fun win for a Cards fan, but horrendous game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort