Official 2006 Phoenix Mercury Season Thread

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today was the first game of the season for the Mercury. It was national televised, but unfortunately with graduation weekend, I was unable to watch it.

Sounded like a tough game as Sacramento (the 2005 defending champs) whipped us 105-78.

I look forward to this season. It will be interesting to see the continued development of Taurasi and how Paul Westhead (the new coach) will get his team to play better.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I too look forward to it, and would have gone to SacTown to watch, except A) I'm unemployed, and B) I went to a job fair seeking employment. I want Westhead to get us running and gunning. We started out the game on a 14-1 run. Then after the time out SacTown clamped down on us and ran the tables. :( I didn't get to see it. Just read about it.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
How did Turasi do?

5-11 from the field for 14 points, including 4 treys from beyond the arch. Pondexter scored 8 points in 19 minutes of play.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
San Antonio (1-2) at Phoenix (0-2), 10 p.m. ET
Taurasi, Mercury Seeking First Win
Stats at a Glance
PHOENIX, May 31 (Ticker) -- Diana Taurasi and the Phoenix Mercury will try once again to record their first win of the season on Wednesday as they host the San Antonio Silver Stars.

Taurasi scored season-high 28 points and rookie Cappie Pondexter contributed 21 and three steals for the Mercury, who dropped a 94-81 decision to Seattle here on Thursday.

Besides searching for its first win, Phoenix will also hope to snap its five-game losing streak, dating to last season.

Reserve Kendra Wecker scored a career-high 16 points and Vickie Johnson had 13, eight rebounds and six assists but it wasn't enough from keeping San Antonio from dropping its second straight, an 80-71 loss to Los Angeles on Thursday.

Rookie forward Sophia Young continues be a bright spot for the Silver Stars. She is averaging 10.3 rebounds per game, ranking fourth in the league.

Phoenix has won seven straight overall in the series, last losing to San Antonio on June 26, 2004.

http://www.wnba.com/games/20060531/SANPHO/preview.html

Lookin for our first win. Diana is kicking butt right now - 3rd leading scorer in the league so far. The season is young but I expect big things from her this season.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Tough loss tonight for the Mercury. They seemed to have San Antonio on the ropes, after clawing their way back in to the contest, however Kamila Vodichkova had a wide open shot that would have tied the game, and more or less panicked.

At 0-3, there's some good and some bad to look at.

First off, the good..

-- Cappie Pondexter has been every bit as good as advertised, perhaps even better. I see no reason, barring the unforseen, why she and Taurasi can't be the cornerstones of this franchise for the next decade, and will easily be one of the most potent guard duos in the WNBA.

-- Taurasi has thus far performed as she's expected to perform. At this point, I'd call her one of the top 3 in the WNBA without hesitation. She seems to have taken to Coach Westhead's offense like a duck takes to water.

Now the bad..

-- Beyond the Dangerous Duo, the Mercury have squat offensively. Vodichkova had a respectable night number-wise (12-6) but at this point (until they get Taylor and Miller back), they're more or less a two trick pony.

-- Rebounding-wise, and inside, they seem extremely soft.

Just my .02 on the season thus far.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Jay said:
-- Cappie Pondexter has been every bit as good as advertised, perhaps even better. I see no reason, barring the unforseen, why she and Taurasi can't be the cornerstones of this franchise for the next decade, and will easily be one of the most potent guard duos in the WNBA.

I, for one, am shocked that Cappie is leading the WNBA in points per game. She is playing tremendous, although I would like to see more assists from her.

Phoenix is on a 2 game win streak right now, and are currently getting whooped by the Sparks tonight (last I checked). But I am really excited for our future with Cappie and Diana running the backcourt.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh I feel so bad for not keeping up with this thread. I know there aren't too many interested people on this board, but I'm still hoping to get more people in here.

There is a week left in the WNBA season - the Mercury are 5th place in the Western Conference. The top 4 teams go to the playoffs.

We've definitely improved from last season, though. Obvious bright spot continues to be Diana Taurasi. She's averaging 24 points a game which is #1 in the WNBA. Another bright spot is our rookie, Cappie Pondexter who is averaging almost 20 points a game, #4 in the WNBA.

We ended July with a 4 game skid, which really hurt our playoff chances. I dont think we'll be making it this year. But hopefully, with a week left, we can close out strong and end this year on a good note.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh man!

PHX is playing the Houston Comets right now. If they lose, they dont make the playoffs, but if they win, they still have a chance.

Right now it's the 4th quarter... down by 2 (83-81)

Last edited:
OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taurasi with 36 pts and 7 assists. Monster game for her.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
84-83 w/ 1 min left (we are up)

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diana with 2 clutch free throws (86-85 us)

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
crap 87-86 them.. 20 secs

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Play Some D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pondexter with the steal!! 89-87 Mercury!

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DAMMIT!

They tied the game. OT

If Penny Taylor would have made both free throws, we'd have won.

Crap. CRAP. CRAP.

(and we suck at rebounding)

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i freaking hate the comets, fyi

Okay, OT is starting. I hope we can hold them off..

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
Taurasi with 36 pts and 7 assists. Monster game for her.

Damn, she's almost as good as this Kate girl I know.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
94-95 comets... 14 sec left

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assface said:
Damn, she's almost as good as this Kate girl I know.
wow this Kate chick sounds cool

thanks for posting, talking to myself was beginning to actually be fun

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haoly crap.... Taurasi with the 3

TIE GAME!!!

Diana with 44 pts.

DAMN I LOVE HER

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
wow this Kate chick sounds cool

thanks for posting, talking to myself was beginning to actually be fun

Djaughe would be posting but I think he has front row seats. Orlando used to have a WNBA team but they moved.

If the Mercury make it in to the playoffs do you think they have a real shot at a championship? Also...if they have the leagues #1 and #4 scorers why are they a bubble team? Is everyone else that bad or do they just not play defense?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard