Offenses Around the League. How bad is our offense?

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Everyone here has seen our putrid offense and argued about the reasons why we are so bad. The Kliff or (and) Kyler debate, the OL debate, everything. It got me thinking "How do we compare to everyone else, surely we must be one of the worst". I went to a few different ranking sites and it turns out, the flaming dumpster fire we've been seeing this entire season is considered exactly league average. It's very consistent all around; our offense is either 16th or 17th in the league. This shocked me, but at the same time I saw games this weekend where the Bills and Chiefs both were held to 17 points in regulation.

Are we overreacting to the poor offensive play? Apparently almost everyone's offense looks terrible, with ours being better than half the leagues. We are significantly better than the Rams on offense which blows my mind.

More importantly, are we overrating our defense? Yeah it looks like it's our defense keeping us in games, but compared to the rest of the league, our defense has been worse than average. In a lot of stats, such as points per game or yards per game, we have one of the worst defenses in the league. Watching other games, it looks like the better teams are good because their defense can carrying their team even harder than ours does.

It's just an incredibly strange year. Kyler seems to have taken a massive step backwards, but he's not alone.

I thought I'd share this because it's nice to know that our struggles aren't very unique in the context of the league. Just awful offense everywhere.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Bills played the Jets yes but they do have the Robert Salah (sp) defense which is probably way better than ours. That 49ers defense he brought with him is predicated on rushing 4 & getting pressure with 4, we just can't do that. Why can we not do that? 2 words, Steve Keim, he built our DL which just isn't that good other than an aging JJ Watt & Zach Allen. He keeps drafting offensive players for a coach that refuses to be creative & keeps running the same **** over & over & it just doesn't fool anyone, it's time to focus on the defense. Keim failed in drafting an edge rusher or trying to sign one, he trades for Hollywood instead. Yes he drafted 2 in the later rounds but they may or may not pan out? The best ones are usually drafted in the first round. This is just the DL, the OL problems he's created are even worse, he could've had linderbaum (sp) from Iowa but passed, now he's the starter for the Ravens. Games in the NFL are won in the trenches & Steve Keim.keeps putting bandaids on both lines so we are where we are. As far as the Chiefs scoring 17 Sunday, well, their coach is Mike Vrabel & he makes sure his team's are stacked in the trenches & always play good defense. Until our bozo GM learns how to build the trenches we're gonna continue to lose, I know that's just part of the problem but it's a big problem. I watched Washington on Sunday against the Vikings, minus Chase Young even & their DL was physical & got some pressure on Cousins, something we couldn't do & that's sad.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Everyone here has seen our putrid offense and argued about the reasons why we are so bad. The Kliff or (and) Kyler debate, the OL debate, everything. It got me thinking "How do we compare to everyone else, surely we must be one of the worst". I went to a few different ranking sites and it turns out, the flaming dumpster fire we've been seeing this entire season is considered exactly league average. It's very consistent all around; our offense is either 16th or 17th in the league. This shocked me, but at the same time I saw games this weekend where the Bills and Chiefs both were held to 17 points in regulation.

Are we overreacting to the poor offensive play? Apparently almost everyone's offense looks terrible, with ours being better than half the leagues. We are significantly better than the Rams on offense which blows my mind.

More importantly, are we overrating our defense? Yeah it looks like it's our defense keeping us in games, but compared to the rest of the league, our defense has been worse than average. In a lot of stats, such as points per game or yards per game, we have one of the worst defenses in the league. Watching other games, it looks like the better teams are good because their defense can carrying their team even harder than ours does.

It's just an incredibly strange year. Kyler seems to have taken a massive step backwards, but he's not alone.

I thought I'd share this because it's nice to know that our struggles aren't very unique in the context of the league. Just awful offense everywhere.

How are you getting 16th or 17th? Based on scoring? Those ranking sites only take points into account but 5 of them are defensive or ST scores.

You remove defensive scores and were 25th.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Once again the Cards are ranked in the mid 20’s in the power rankings. Familiar territory for them.

cardcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
The Cardinals have become irrelevant to the media. Not even worth talking about. A bad team that’s boring. If it wasn’t for Hard Knocks they would forget the Cardinals are even in the league.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose