Odom?

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
I'd like to think he'd be great for the suns, but that guy is the most inconsistent player there is. We can talk about the system and Nash all we want, but he still sometimes just doesn't show up on nights. I can only imagine the frustration of the board when odom scores 25 one night and then 4, 2, and 8 the next three.

NO thanks

lou_skywalker

Registered
Reaction score
SUGARMAAAAANNN..........no.
Get Ariza instead. he can replace Hill.
Keep Amare and don't settle for junk trades.
Trade Wallace for Chandler, we want our own twin tower :)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another guy that might make sense if you are close. With this team now? No.

Last edited:

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What nobody seems to be discussing about this, is the rather insignificant detail of: How the Hell are we going to Clear 10 million off our cap to sign him?

I don't see a scernio unless we trade Jrich to memphis for a 1st round pick, but then it is a Trade Exception and not pure cap space, and I have don't have a clue how they think we can do this...

Just spouting at the mouth, not thinking about reailty from the media...

Plus I would rather havbe Ariza at 6 million than Odom at 10...

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
I don't see Odom as a good fit for Phoenix because as someone said before, he is somewhat inconsistent. He has great nights, but then he has nights where he just seems disinterested which is something Phoenix won't be able to afford. In my opinion, the perfect guy for the Suns is Trevor Ariza. Ariza is a long and athletic defender that can hit 3's and spread out the defense. Ariza's numbers don't jump off the page but he's far better then his stat line shows. I of course hope he stays with the Lakers, but I'm shocked that more teams aren't climbing over one another to make offers to Ariza. He would be just what the Suns and a few other teams really need IMO. If the Lakers only keep one of the two, I hope it's Ariza over Odom.

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
What nobody seems to be discussing about this, is the rather insignificant detail of: How the Hell are we going to Clear 10 million off our cap to sign him?

I don't see a scernio unless we trade Jrich to memphis for a 1st round pick, but then it is a Trade Exception and not pure cap space, and I have don't have a clue how they think we can do this...

Eh..actually they would have to get 10 million under the SALARY CAP (not the luxury tax) to sign Odom. Unless they do a sign an trade.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Another guy that might make sense if you are close. With this team now? No.

Exactly. And the Suns targeting him shows again that the F.O. has no freakin' clue or no freakin' plan. You dont try to blow up a team and then make sure to sign Hill, Odom and Nash. Its getting laughable how clueless they are.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It would be fun to watch Odom with Nash, Amare, J-Rich, Barbosa and the crew, but not at $10 mil per year even if Kerr was able to get the Suns that far under the salary cap.
He would be an interesting PF if Amare deal goes through and the Suns get Biedrins and Curry, but that's unlikely. Additionally, we already had a Lamar Odom in Phoenix. His name was Boris Diaw.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Add me to the list of "Thank you, no." posters. His inconsistency and apparent lack of passion for the game is not worth what good he brings.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You never know what you're going to get out of Odom from game to game.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Could you not then turn around and do a sign and trade with the Lakers.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eh..actually they would have to get 10 million under the SALARY CAP (not the luxury tax) to sign Odom. Unless they do a sign an trade.

UM, that's right, if Memphis has the cap space, we get cap space, not just a trade exception.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
Wow, stupidest rumor of the offseason so far, thank you LA Times.

If the salary cap stays around 59M next year, the Suns would have to clear more than 25M to sign Odom via free agency for 10M (roughly the same for the Spurs by the way). Trading J-Rich for nothing and buying out Wallace and Pavlovic wouldn't be enough.

And I can't see why the Lakers would do a sign and trade with us. Which hidden player of the Suns roster could interest them?
The only guy that would fit the bill salary-wise is Barbosa (packed with another player) and I'm pretty sure the Lakers would ask for at least a pick to do it. A pick that Kerr would obviously gladly send since he will get cash in return.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, stupidest rumor of the offseason so far, thank you LA Times.

If the salary cap stays around 59M next year, the Suns would have to clear more than 25M to sign Odom via free agency for 10M (roughly the same for the Spurs by the way). Trading J-Rich for nothing and buying out Wallace and Pavlovic wouldn't be enough.

And I can't see why the Lakers would do a sign and trade with us. Which hidden player of the Suns roster could interest them?
The only guy that would fit the bill salary-wise is Barbosa (packed with another player) and I'm pretty sure the Lakers would ask for at least a pick to do it. A pick that Kerr would obviously gladly send since he will get cash in return.

Wallace for Odom in a sign and trade would work, but that does not benefit the Lakers at all.

The only way I see the Suns getting Odom is if it is with a trade that includes Amare.

Odom and Ariza for Amare? I would have to look at the numbers. Yep, it could be done as long as you can package two sign and trade players together. Maybe we could get the Lakers to throw in a pick. It actually could work. Even better, Odom, Ariza and Bynum for Amare and JRich. Ariza and Odom are FA's anyway and I do not know if the Lakers are going to resign them. Bynum for Amare would be a good swap for the Lakers.

Last edited:

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
Yeah Wallace for Odom would be totally pointless for the Lakers, they would probably ask for 2 1st rounders to do it.

Since Ariza is a free agent too and will ask for at least the MLE, packaging him with Odom for Amare would probably make much more sense for the Lakers than for the Suns. And I'm not even sure it's technically doable for a lot of reasons (for instance Ariza's contract would probably have a poison pill provision because of his BYC status).

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
It would be fun to watch Odom with Nash, Amare, J-Rich, Barbosa and the crew, but not at $10 mil per year even if Kerr was able to get the Suns that far under the salary cap.
He would be an interesting PF if Amare deal goes through and the Suns get Biedrins and Curry, but that's unlikely. Additionally, we already had a Lamar Odom in Phoenix. His name was Boris Diaw.

I thought the same thing.
:mulli:
.........Diaw
:mulli:
.........Odom

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah Wallace for Odom would be totally pointless for the Lakers, they would probably ask for 2 1st rounders to do it.

Since Ariza is a free agent too and will ask for at least the MLE, packaging him with Odom for Amare would probably make much more sense for the Lakers than for the Suns. And I'm not even sure it's technically doable for a lot of reasons (for instance Ariza's contract would probably have a poison pill provision because of his BYC status).

Don't the Lakers have Bird rights with Ariza? If so, the MLE doesn't have to figure in at all. Sign and trades are doable without all the PP and BYC stuff.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Sorry to point out the obvious, but why in the hell would the Lakers want Stoudemire?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Odom likes the beach. Why would he want anything to do with Phoenix?

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
Don't the Lakers have Bird rights with Ariza? If so, the MLE doesn't have to figure in at all. Sign and trades are doable without all the PP and BYC stuff.
I took the MLE as a basis for his future salary since that's the amount that any over-the-cap team (except for the Lakers, of course) will be able to give him. He will probably get more than that but he will get at least 5,5M and change, thus getting a raise greater than 20%.

Since the Lakers and the Suns are both above the cap, Ariza's BYC status would apply. I agree there would be no poison pill provision though, I messed up and thought for some strange reason Ariza was still under his rookie contract.

Anyway, Ariza's new contract would need to be as close of the MLE as possible for the trade to work. Since he hopes to get 7 to 8M, it makes the trade implausible.

Sorry to point out the obvious, but why in the hell would the Lakers want Stoudemire?
I can't think of any reason at all, but the offseason is so boring (we're going to watch the Suns nosedive for at least 3 years, after all) that I feel compelled to discuss some random trade scenarios and review my CBA "knowledge". :D

Last edited: