Oatmeal Diet

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
http://www.komotv.com/sports/story.asp?ID=40397

The story is about Shawn Kemp (a former NBA star) who has shed 55 pounds in 6 months eating oatmeal 3 times per day.

I've never gone on an oatmeal binge like that. I do eat oatmeal every morning after my morning run and it helps make me feel more full throughout the day.

I did find this article on the oatmeal diet:

Oatmeal Is Great Diet Food
You might remember those commercials touting oatmeal to lower cholesterol levels. Now it seems the mighty but little oat is a good diet food as well.

Researchers at the New York Obesity Research Center at St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center suggest eating oatmeal for breakfast can help with weight control by curbing your appetite at lunch. The study, conducted by Dr. Allan Geliebter and colleagues, validates the old saying that oatmeal "sticks to your ribs."

In fact, the researchers say oatmeal fiber does slow down the rate at which your stomach empties out, which means you feel full longer. They say two study groups -- one lean and one overweight -- were each given a breakfast of either 350 calories of oatmeal, 350 calories of sugared corn flakes or water as a control.

The results show when hunger and appetite were rated after breakfast and at lunchtime, the oatmeal eaters had lower ratings at all points. They say the oatmeal group ate 30 percent less at lunch than when they ate corn flakes or just had water.
found at http://www.thirdage.com/news/archive/ALT02991122-02.html?html

Anyway I just wanted to see what anybody else thought of it or if they tried this diet to the extreme Mr. Kemp did by making it his meals each day.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could never go on an all oatmeal diet, but I do enjoy a nice hearty bown of oatmeal for breakfast.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
I could never go on an all oatmeal diet, but I do enjoy a nice hearty bown of oatmeal for breakfast.

Bown? Drinking again, Kate?

Djaughe

Reaction score
Louis said:
...Anyway I just wanted to see what anybody else thought of it or if they tried this diet to the extreme Mr. Kemp did by making it his meals each day.

lol...high oatmeal fiber causes lotsa gas in most people...not exactly something you want around the locker room. Perhaps thats why no NBA team is going after puddles.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
It's true, tho. If I have a small bowl of oatmeal in the morning, that holds me up till the afternoon. Lots of good fiber :thumbup:

marathon_mom

Bring it on!!!
Reaction score
There's a new weight conrol instant oatmeal in the stores now. The show "The biggest Loser" promoted it. Trainers say it's good for the weight loss & the contestants said it tastes GREAT. I can't have it on my current diet, so someone needs to get it & tell me how great it really is. I hear one of the flavors in banana bread. Holy cow that sounds good.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure they mean REAL oatmeal too. not the microwavable packs with all the good flavors. :(

nothin' but net

All Star
Reaction score
Djaughe said:
lol...high oatmeal fiber causes lotsa gas in most people...not exactly something you want around the locker room. Perhaps thats why no NBA team is going after puddles.

The gas has got to help weight loss. Who is going to invite Gassy Guy out to a restaurant??

marathon_mom

Bring it on!!!
Reaction score
phillycard said:
I'm sure they mean REAL oatmeal too. not the microwavable packs with all the good flavors. :(
Blech! But those big losers on the biggest loser ate that yummy kind, just the weight control type. Too bad I can't have it. Dang that sounds yummy.

BodybuildingCardsFan

DC Trainee Machine
Reaction score
Djaughe said:

Gas is a good thing, it purifies the body. If your farts don't stink there's reason for concern.

It's the same reason you should be concerned if your fecal matter doesn't smell bad. If it doesn't stink then your body isn't healthy and purifying itself. The human digestive system is so filthy it is toxic, we can't even use our manure for fertilizer.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BodybuildingCardsFan said:
Gas is a good thing, it purifies the body. If your farts don't stink there's reason for concern.

It's the same reason you should be concerned if your fecal matter doesn't smell bad. If it doesn't stink then your body isn't healthy and purifying itself. The human digestive system is so filthy it is toxic, we can't even use our manure for fertilizer.

Woo hoo, I'm healthy has hell today!

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Actually

it's the color of your fecal matter that will tell you of your toxic cleansing.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How in the world this thread started from an oatmeal diet and ended up on the topic of fecal matter makes me not want to eat oatmeal very much.

:barf:

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think

it's called thread highjacking. However, it's important that the information is correct.
Oatmeal is GOOD FOR YOU!

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jstadvl said:
it's called thread highjacking. However, it's important that the information is correct.
Oatmeal is GOOD FOR YOU!

So is farting!

:healthiestmanalive:

:D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson