Nuggets @ Suns Game Thread

reader

Veteran
Reaction score
Once again, I did not see the game, but what is up with the Suns F/T shooting at 62.5% ? The only player to make all of his F/T was Boris. Allow me to repeat that, Boris. He, of the 0/11 in the Euro Championships, was the only Sun to hit all his F/T. What can I say, Boris is great.

PHXviaDTW

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nice win - inspite of a pretty tough 3rd quarter.

It's all about stringing together wins at this point -

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
is that 5 wins a row for the Suns?

And if they didnt choke against the Mavs, The Suns would be 10 and 4 or even better... I think The majority are sleeping on the Suns again... We continue to win and be impressive minus our dominant big man... not to mention basically entirely new team.

A bit worried after the third quarter though, then towards the end I though Nuggets will come back and win.. But suns hold on.

How bout that Camby guy.. another monster game.. Best center in the league so far... and its not close.

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
Great win but I have to say - HOLY CAMBY!!!

33 pts, 20 rebs, 3 steals, 3 blocks... if he stays healthy he should be in MVP race.

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
fordronken said:
Hang on. This wasn't exactly a 30 point night. House played well for a total of about five minutes tonight and then went on to miss a bunch of bad shots. I love Eddie House, and he was incredible for that stretch in the 4th, but I think, if anything, his game tonight validates elindholm's points.

He missed 2. That was after netting 9 unanswered points and 2 assists that broke the game open. Yeah, that certainly is a validation that he can't shoot.

fordronken

Reaction score
newfan101 said:
He missed 2. That was after netting 9 unanswered points and 2 assists that broke the game open. Yeah, that certainly is a validation that he can't shoot.

Who said he can't shoot? He's an inconsistent shooter, though, who when he gets hot is incredible, but the majority of his shots would traditionally be considered "bad", even in the Suns offense.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This Suns team seems to rely on spurts to win games...and it always seems as if Eddie is right in the thick of the key spurts to either give us the lead or give us big cushions to sit on

jibikao

Reaction score
sunsfn said:
He would not go in the game with about 1 1/2 minutes to play.

He has a say about thing?? lol I didn't know you can actually REFUSE to enter the game? I guess he felt embarrased and insulted?

jibikao

Reaction score
goldseraph said:
Great win but I have to say - HOLY CAMBY!!!

33 pts, 20 rebs, 3 steals, 3 blocks... if he stays healthy he should be in MVP race.

Not if Denver is not a Top 3 team. Individual stats don't matter if your team is not even in the top 3 or 5. I've always liked Camby but for him to get considered, his team must be one of the tops. At this rate, it's difficult to say. A lot of people say Elton has a chance but again, we need to see team record as well.

It will be interesting if Suns actually becomes the #1 in our division. :)

jibikao

Reaction score
fordronken said:
Hang on. This wasn't exactly a 30 point night. House played well for a total of about five minutes tonight and then went on to miss a bunch of bad shots. I love Eddie House, and he was incredible for that stretch in the 4th, but I think, if anything, his game tonight validates elindholm's points.

I would judge Eddie differently. He is a bench player who brings energy and offense to us when our starters rest or when we can't find any offense. Eddie did that tonight wonderfully. Our team seems to be only motivated by offense. lol If somebody makes shots, others' will fall.

Man, our team is so deep now!! Great job.

PS: Jim Jackson sucks again? I know he didn't play a lot but his shooting has been so horrible to the point that D'Antoni can't use him that much. Ouch.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I love Eddie House, and he was incredible for that stretch in the 4th, but I think, if anything, his game tonight validates elindholm's points.

I'd call it a wash. :shrug:

I couldn't watch the game, but the write-up said that House made a bunch of shots in a row in the fourth. Since he was 5-12 for the game, that means that he was bricking it up the rest of the time.

My opinion is that, in a close game, possessions in the first half count as much as those in the last few minutes. But I know that not everyone sees it that way.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Eddie is what everyone dreams of from a sixth man (on an offensive team) - checks in, keeps the tempo of the game up, not afraid to take shots and hits those shots, and doesn't complain about getting pulled if he is shooting blanks. I don't ever see him losing a game for us (because D'Antoni would pull him quickly and not give the chance), but he can help win a few. He definately did a job on Utah, and he hit some big shots tonight when we couldn't quite get things going (also got the crowd back into it). So lets just say he has helped deliver 2 wins already... I did say HELPED, so don't jump all over me...

The one thing that I really enjoy about Eddie is his energy for the game and the crowd... Love that attitude. He embraces it. The crowd was chanting his name tonight.

Let's go ahead and sign him to a Max deal now...:p

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
The game was tied, House came in and drilled 3 quick shots - 1 of them a 3. (Maybe it was 4). He also had 2 great assists, one for a layup and one for a Nash 3.

He missed the next 2 shots, and wound up coming out of the game a few minutes later.

However, he was undoubtedly the spark that got us the lead back - and it came in a time when we couldn't find the bucket.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
elindholm said:
My opinion is that, in a close game, possessions in the first half count as much as those in the last few minutes. But I know that not everyone sees it that way.

Yes, but there is something to be said for the guy that hits shots when the other team is making a run - especially if no one else seems to be stroking it. Besides, Marion throws up painful brick after painful brick - but we forgive him when he crashes the offensive board with a put back or a quick dunk.

keric

Reaction score
Yes, Eddie House was the difference tonight. Just when Denver had seized momentum, House began his onslaught. Not only hitting key shots when the Suns' offense had sputtered but he had a great rebound and some nice assists to Nash and Boris.

To all House bashers: Eddie serves his role perfectly. He is there to have instant offense off the bench. Provide a spark. Something that Casey was not able to do last year. House fits this role nothing more. He'll never be the go to guy or a 35 minute guy, but what he gives the Suns is exactly what Dantoni expects of him.

Loved it when Marjele said "The House is on fire!"

reader

Veteran
Reaction score
So, once again, the Suns win was because ......

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=251202021

Anthony scores 22 before aggravating ankle

PHOENIX (AP) -- Reserve Eddie House is known for his instant offense and he provided that again for the Phoenix Suns on Friday night.House sparked a fourth-quarter Phoenix rally with nine straight points in 1:56 and the Suns won their fifth consecutive game, beating the Denver Nuggets 102-97."I'm used to coming off the bench," House said. "It's my role, so I accept it. I just try to be ready when I'm called upon."House was needed and ready in the frantic final period after the Suns had squandered a 17-point halftime lead and fell behind 79-77 with 10:34 left after a 19-foot jump shot by Earl Boykins.The speedy House then fed Kurt Thomas for an easy layup, and Thomas completed a three-point play by hitting a foul shot, putting Phoenix ahead for good, 80-79.Then, House went to work on his shot. He hit two jumpers, a 3-pointer and capped a 12-0 run with another jumper, giving Phoenix an 89-77 lead. Following that outburst, he assisted on the Suns' next two baskets, disdaining the opportunity to shoot despite chants of "Eddie!, Eddie!, Eddie!" by the rabid Phoenix fans.That was enough of a cushion to help the Suns withstand a late burst by Marcus Camby, who scored 14 of the Nuggets' final 18 points. House finished with 12 points.Shawn Marion led the balanced Suns' offense with 22 points and 11 rebounds, Steve Nash added 21 points and 10 assists, Thomas had a season-high 16 points and 16 rebounds, and Boris Diaw scored 15.Camby led the Nuggets, who lost their third straight, with a season-high 33 points and 20 rebounds for his eighth consecutive double-double. Carmelo Anthony scored 22 before leaving the game in the fourth quarter after aggravating his left ankle. Andre Miller scored 18 points and had 10 assists.It was the seventh straight game that Phoenix held an opponent under 100 points and it was the Suns fifth straight home win.This also was the third time this season that House had scored eight or more points in the fourth quarter.Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni had no qualms about leaving House in the game in the critical final period."This is not the first time he's done that," D'Antoni said, referring to House's rapid-fire scoring. "I have confidence in him."The Nuggets were without coach George Karl, who was serving the second game of a two-game suspension by the NBA for criticizing officials after Monday night's loss to New Jersey, and guard Voshon Lenard, who was suspended by the team for conduct detrimental to the club. Assistant Scott Brooks filled in for Karl and now is 0-4 this season during the head coach's two suspensions.Camby hinted that he was upset with the officiating without being specific."We're playing hard," he said. "Down 17 at halftime, we hunkered down together and tried to regain the lead going into the fourth quarter. Going down the stretch ... I don't want to get fined. (But) you know what I'm talking about."The Nuggets tried running with the fast-breaking Suns in the first half but couldn't keep up with Phoenix's frenetic pace and trailed 59-42 at intermission.Diaw was the key to Phoenix's offense during that span. He hit his first five field goal attempts and scored seven points during an 18-2 run in the opening 5:24 of the second period that catapulted the Suns from a 27-25 deficit to a 43-29 lead.Overall in the second quarter, the Suns outscored Denver 34-15. By halftime, Phoenix had four players in double figures -- Diaw (13), Thomas and Bell (11 each) and Marion (10), and had 16 fast-break points to Denver's five.Anthony, returning to the lineup after missing Wednesday's game against New Orleans with a sprained left ankle, scored 13 points in the half, and Camby, who was 5-for-6, had 12.The Nuggets outscored Phoenix 33-14 in the third and took a 75-73 at the end of the period on Eduardo Najera's two free throws with 1.2 seconds remaining.Anthony, Miller and Camby triggered the Nuggets' comeback, combining for 25 points in the period, as Denver outscored Phoenix 15-2 in the final 4:13.Game notes
Phoenix center-forward Brian Grant underwent surgery on his right knee Friday and is expected to miss three months. ... The Nuggets' Greg Buckner returned to action after being sidelined Wednesday with inflammation in his left knee. ... The Suns swept their four-game series against Denver last season and lead the Nuggets 46-17 all-time at America West Arena.

nothin' but net

All Star
Reaction score
I think Camby's issue with the refs was when he was flopping on the ground like a fish out of water. For a second I thought he was having a seizure or something. He was AMAZING tonight. Anyone know if he is up for trade??:rolleyes:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
fordronken said:

Fair enough.

But the Suns were down, and looking HORRIBLE. House came in and couldnt miss a thing. Phoenix went up by 10 and never looked back. House is an extremely interesting player. He either makes 10 in a row, or misses 10 in a row. When he is cold, there's an easy solution - the bench. But when he is hot, watch out. He'll build a 5-10 point lead by himself, as he did tonight.

without him, the Suns would have lost this game, imo.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
elindholm said:
I love Eddie House, and he was incredible for that stretch in the 4th, but I think, if anything, his game tonight validates elindholm's points.

I'd call it a wash. :shrug:

I couldn't watch the game, but the write-up said that House made a bunch of shots in a row in the fourth. Since he was 5-12 for the game, that means that he was bricking it up the rest of the time.

You wouldn't get it, unless you saw it. This team was DEAD IN THE WATER. House comes in, nails everything, and the Suns run away with it. Again, without Eddie, the Suns lose this game tonight.

He is the perfect bench player in this system.

jibikao

Reaction score
Amare32 said:
here is a Denver board

http://nuggets.proboards1.com/index.cgi?board=nuggets

Be interesting to see what they are saying.

That board has a lot of swear words! Geeze. Where is the manner? All I see here F*** refs, F**** this, F**** that. They sound like the refs gave ust he win. Sure, blame on the refs ALL THE TIME. Experiences tell us that the more you complain, the more you are going to suffer. :D

jibikao

Reaction score
nothin' but net said:
I think Camby's issue with the refs was when he was flopping on the ground like a fish out of water. For a second I thought he was having a seizure or something. He was AMAZING tonight. Anyone know if he is up for trade??:rolleyes:

I wonder how many games he can stay health?

nothin' but net

All Star
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
That is like asking if Steve Nash was up for a trade last season

Hence the eyeroll. Wish I had him on my fantasy team. His numbers are sick. (I don't mean sick in a Jim Jackson kind of way either.)

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Props to Camby. He nearly single-handedly pulled that game out for the Nuggets.

I thought House was used in the best way possible in the second half: throw him out there for a shot of energy when the team is struggling to score, especially at home. I have to say that I was disappointed when D'Antoni left House on the floor after the 6:00 time out--even I could see that House was running out of gas, and I was watching on TV. I do understand that a coach can create chemistry problems by anticipating trouble before it happens (Doug Collins was the master of this), and House did get a quick hook after a couple of misses...let's just say that it felt good to see the Suns pull this one out.

If Barbosa had been available, there wouldn't have been minutes for House tonight, and IMO there wouldn't have been any call for him, either. The team's offense still misses Barbosa badly.

I suspected the Suns would start with Marion-Diaw-KT, and that's what happened. Sure enough, the team had trouble scoring tonight...fortunately, their defense managed to balance things out, but it was a close call.

Anyway, another win! It's nice to see the Suns on the court again so quickly. (It felt like they took a full week off before the Pacers game.)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You wouldn't get it, unless you saw it. This team was DEAD IN THE WATER.

Hypothetically, isn't it possible that the Suns would have had a bigger lead had House not missed so many shots in the first three quarters? Then they wouldn't have needed him to bail them out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson