Nuggets @ Suns Game Thread

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
Denver Nuggets (8-8 ) @ Phoenix Suns (8-5)

When Friday 2nd December
Time: 6.00 PT
TV: FSN AZ

Probable Starting Lineups:

PG-Andre Miller

SG-Demarr Johnson
SF-Linas Kleiza
PF-Kenyon Martin
C-Marcus Camby

PG-Steve Nash
SG-Raja Bell
SF-James Jones

PF-Shawn Marion
C-Boris Diaw

Starting 5 Match-ups

Point guards
Andre Miller Vs Steve Nash

Here is a match-up between two of the top tier point guards in the NBA. Andre Miller is coming off a 33,5 and 5 night against the Hornets. Where he had to pick up the offensively slack with Carmelo Anthony missing from the line-up after getting injured in their loss to New Jersey. Miller is having a soild season averaging 12 points, 5 rebounds and 7 assists per game and he comtinues to be one of the best lob passers in the game. The Suns will need to watch out for those when guarding Kenyon Martin and Marcus Camby. Steve Nash is coming off a 30 point night himself where he hit 7/8 threes in the Suns blowout win over the Pacers. He also got 8 rebounds and 9 assists in leading his team to the W.

Shooting guards
DerMarr Johnson Vs Raja Bell

DerMarr Johnson is the Nuggets starting shooting guard basically by default. The Nuggets main weakness is at this position. Proof of that is Johnson's 4.4 points per game average. Although to his credit he is a decent defender and works real hard when he's on the floor. Raja Bell the Suns summer signing is averaging 11 points per game on 43% from the floor and 40% from three. He has had a soild start to his Suns career and will look to take advantage of this match-up. Raja is coming off a 9 point performance against Indiana on wednesday night.

Small Forwards
Linas Kleiza Vs James Jones

Now many of you are thinking, "who the hell is Linas Kleiza?" "And why the hell is he starting?" well honestly, I don't know much about him either but with Carmelo Anthony getting hurt against their game Vs the Nets early in the week he was given the start in their last game against the Hornets and was soild with 8 points and 7 rebounds. He is averaging 3 points per game on the season in 9 minutes per game. He is starting because as mentioned Melo is injured and It is unknown If he will play in this game, of course that may change so these line-ups aren't completely 100% right. James Jones on the other hand is having a soild season since arriving from the Pacers in the summer. JJ is averaging around 10 points per game and is shooting around 40% from three. He had an off game against his former team on wednesday, I expect him to bounce back in this one.

Power Forwards
Kenyon Martin Vs Shawn Marion

This is one match-up worth watching. Kenyon Martin though has struggled this year with main injuries and has missed quite a few games. He had surgery in the summer and thought he had fixed the problem but the problem hasn't seemed to of gone away. K-mart is having a career low season averaging just 12 points and 5 rebounds a game. His minutes obviously due to injury have been down. He will need to be on his top form to contend with Suns all-star Shawn Marion who is having another great season. Shawn is averaging 19 points and a career high 12.5 rebounds per game which is ranked 3rd in the NBA. He is also leading the team in steals and blocks. He has been excellent all the way across the board.

centers
Marcus Camby Vs Boris Diaw

The center match-up is going to be a good one. Marcus Camby is having a truely amazing season and even though the Nuggets have been struggling has been having an MVP type season. Prefect for you fantasy guys out there. Camby has averaged 16 points, 14 rebounds, 3 blocks, 2 steals on 53% shooting. He has been quite amazing for Denver so far. If only he had shooters then his team's record would be far better. So all in all 6'8 Boris Diaw will have his hands full. Diaw is having quite a season himself and has to be one of the early favourites for the most improved player award. Diaw who is showing how well rounded he truely is by playing center. This is a guy who can play all 5 positions and is now playing the 5 spot after having some success playing there. This year Boris is averaging 10 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 block on 52% shooting. No one expected him to do this well so early but he has done a great job so far and his offense has improved as the season has gone on and has gotten even more confidence. He will have a tough job guarding Camby but he won't be alone as Kurt Thomas will come off the bench and guard Camby. KT looks to be fitting in nicely and was quite effective on JO on wednesday night.

key's To The Game

Nuggets
  • Get Andre Miller going, with Melo likely out the Nuggets will need more offense from him. What he does against Nash is huge.
  • The Nuggets need something out of Kenyon Martin who is having as mentioned a career low season. This is the type of game where the Nuggets need K-mart to produce mainly with Nene out for the year.
  • Contending the Suns two all-stars won't be easy. Try and control Nash and don't let Marion dominate you on the inside. He has been deadly this season.
Suns
  • Must try and guard Marcus Camby and not let him dominate on the boards and inside in general. He has to do more with Martin not 100% and Nene out for the season. Camby has been huge for Denver this year and they will need him on top of his game. Maybe KT will contend him like he did to Jermaine O'Neal?
  • Push the ball and try and get the Nuggets into a running game. The Nuggets like to run but running with the Suns is not always wise. Not in Phoenix.
  • Role players must keep up their recent good form. Jones, Bell, Thomas, House have all been key guys hitting their shots and playing defense. With Barbosa out, everyone has stepped It up lately.
Final Thoughts And Predictions

The Phoenix Suns head into friday night's game looking for their 5 straight win. The Suns are coming off a great win against of the contenders for the NBA title the Indiana Pacers. Suns got the win 109-91 and led by as many as 34 points. Steve Nash led the Suns with 31 points, 8 rebounds and 9 assists which included 7/8 threes. Shawn Marion added 21 and 12 while Boris Diaw contined his good form with 17 points, 8 rebounds and 6 assists alongwith 3 steals and 1 block. The win moved the Suns to 8-5 and only a game away for the top of the pacific not bad for a team missing Amare and Barbosa.

The Denver Nuggets on the other hand have struggled. They are 8-8 and to make matters worse lose Carmelo Anthony to injury early in the week in their loss at home to the Nets. The Nuggets in their first game without him lost another game this time at home to the surprising New Orleans Hornets.

The Suns after starting 1-4 at home having won 4 in a row. They will look to continue the good run of form on friday night to extend the win streak to 5 games.

I expect the Suns to come out strong again and get the win. The Nuggets are shorthanded like the Suns but unlike the Suns the Nuggets don't have as many scorers or shooters. If Melo is out then the Suns should get a double fiqure win. If he is playing then It will likely be alot closer.

ENJOY THE GAME!!!

Last edited:

jibikao

Reaction score
I still think we match up really well against Denver. It looks like no matter how hot they are, we can always beat them. Hopefully we can do the same this year. :)

We don't have Amare but I don't think Melo is ready to play tomorrow. I don't think the coach would want him to come back and run like hell with Suns.

Cambie can be a problem. I'll leave that problem to KT and Diaw.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Nuggets have started spending more time with Boykins at PG and Miller at SG. From the looks of recent box scores, that's pretty much the default lineup these days, even though Johnson is still starting.

nowagimp

Reaction score
I like Raja on 'D' against Miller. Miller scored 33 pts in their last game. Expect them to rely on Miller for alot of scoring if Melo is ineffective or doesn't play. I dont think Miller has the speed to consistently beat Raja off the dribble. Boykins is very fast, however. Hopefully, Boris will be ready with the help 'D' on Boykins' penetration. With Nene and Melo out(or injured), we should run(as usual) to make them need alot of bench points. I like the Marion matchup with whoever. Normally with a small player like Boykins, I would think that posting him up would be a good move, but Camby covers alot of ground in the help defense. House will probably play more minutes since JJack twisted his ankle vs the pacers, and because of the presence of Boykins. I like House against Boykins, he'll probably feel like a big man in that matchup, shooting over Boykins at will, though he must watch his turnovers. I really think that the suns win this game going away, but if the perimeter shooting is off, I expect it to be a close game as Camby is one of the better lane defenders.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
The Pacers and Nuggets are big early home games for the Suns.

Camby has been their best player and the so far the Suns have done a good job statistically of defending big men.

Hopefully the Suns can begin to establish some momentum at home.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Without Carmelo Nuggets will struggle to score pass 90, unless Andre Miller steps it up again or Camby has a big game (scoring wise).

I predict a suns win, Marion should take advantage of K Mart's current condition. Camby will probably grab 20 rebounds.

Suns 103
Nuggets 87

PHXviaDTW

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
...and the Nugs arrive in the valley minus a head coach.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hi longtime lurker here. I decided to go ahead and register to let everyone know how much I appreciate the effort put into threads like this and all the basketball knowledge on this board in general. There are people on here way more basketball savvy than I, but if quantity over quality is appreciated than I should be able to contribute something. I've been watching the Suns since my dad took me to games at the Madhouse on Mcdowell. I think this current team is starting to turn into something special with the emergence of young players like Diaw and we'll be a force for years to come when Amare comes back. Anyways, a guy like Camby in the past would definitely have a monster game against the Suns...but with the recent play of Kurt and his ability to block out, it will be interesting to see if that trend will change. We definitely should be able to win this one.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last season the Nuggets were probably the hottest team in the NBA over the last two months, but the Suns ened their winning streak in Denver. The Suns present a classic dilemna for the Nuggets. Denver wants to run, but the Suns run better. If the Nuggets are forced to slow the game down, their offense really struggled even when the Suns didn't play good defense.

reader

Veteran
Reaction score
It looks as though Carmelo will be playing.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_3270787

The Nuggets did get some good news as Anthony, who is averaging a team-best 20.3 points, said he will likely play tonight after sitting out Wednesday because of a left ankle sprain suffered Monday.

"I'm feeling good," Anthony said after practice. "Most likely I'm going to play. The swelling (is) down. It's not as tender."

OP
OP
Amare32

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
Interesting, although I doubt he will be 100%.

OP
OP
Amare32

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
Between Kurt Thomas' improved play and his desire to start, the Suns could go with a starting lineup tonight that includes him for the first time since Nov. 22.

The Suns may start Thomas, Boris Diaw, Shawn Marion, Raja Bell and Steve Nash, a lineup they used in the home loss to Detroit on Nov. 10. It may be easier to return to a bigger lineup now that Nash, Marion and Thomas have shot better recently.
Interesting, I think with the way KT is playing lately then I would like to see it. JJ may be better as a spark off the bench.

Loogies

JJ Fan club prez
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been on the azcentral forum for a couple years and didn't even know about this one.

I lurked around phxsuns.net a bit, but never joined because it seems they don't care for any criticism of the suns whatsoever. And I'm not sending an email to ask to join.

Anyway, I think KT should get the start over JJones.
Jones had an opportunity to do something agains his former team on wednesday but played awful.
Start KT whether or not Melo plays. Keeps everyone happy, and Jones could provide the spark off the bench with House.

-Luis

OP
OP
Amare32

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
Well It's certainly obvious that KT does not like the bench role when you consider his comments yesterday. Although he didn't say it out front, he will be happy as long as he gets minutes but still doesn't like the bench role. With his good form I will be surprised if he stays on the bench. We need a banger like him in the line-up.

fordronken

Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2244310

DENVER -- The Denver Nuggets suspended guard Voshon Lenard on Thursday for one game without pay for conduct detrimental to the team.

Lenard will miss the Nuggets' game Friday at Phoenix.

"This is an internal matter that we have dealt with in-house," Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe said in a statement. "Behavior detrimental to the positive team focus will not be tolerated."

Lenard missed most of last season with a torn Achilles tendon and has averaged 8.5 points in 10 games this season. He lost his starting job to DerMarr Johnson in mid-November.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Loogies. (Maybe someone has welcomed you in another thread I haven't checked up on yet, but one can never have too many welcomes, right?)

I lurked around phxsuns.net a bit, but never joined because it seems they don't care for any criticism of the suns whatsoever. And I'm not sending an email to ask to join.

It wouldn't have mattered; they don't respond anyway. I tried a couple of times to join them, never got a response, and gave up.

If you've read this board for a while, you know that many people consider me to be the most hostile poster here ... so I guess that means this is the last nice response you'll get from me. :p

Last edited:

Loogies

JJ Fan club prez
Reaction score
thanks , elindholm

hostile is ok with me, as long as it isn't flooding the board with garbage.

azcentral's board has been almost unreadable the last few days

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Loogies said:
thanks , elindholm

AZcentral's board was readable? ;)

Welcome Luis

Welcome chiunit as well.
Glad you decided to register.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Loogies said:
thanks , elindholm

Welcome!

:raccoon:

Loogies

JJ Fan club prez
Reaction score
thanks , arthur

yeah it was readable, sirchaz
for a little while anyway. Cubby was behaving somewhat for a couple months. Now its all racial slurs and crapfloods.
Shame really. There's some pretty good and knowledgeable suns fans up theres still trying to hang out.

OP
OP
Amare32

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
Welcome to all the new users

Hope you enjoy the board and the previews.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i think marion is going to abuse mello on both ends of the floor. assuming marion guards him, but if he has to guard martin it might be a long night. the nuggs 3-5s have got alot of size and that makes me a little worried. camby might just give us fits. i also expect watson to get alot of minutes to wear down nash. if thomas and diaw get into early foul trouble burke might have to get some playing time and that could be dangerous.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave