No way in hell is this a Pac10 #9 ranked team.

HooverDam

Reaction score
^Well if ASU beats UA for their 6th win of the year, it won't send them bowling. ASU needs to win 7 this year, as you can only count one win over a FCS school towards bowl eligibility.

EDIT: BEATEN BADLY!

ASUs inability to secure another FBS cupcake once SJSU jumped ship on the schedule is REALY going to hurt. ASU desperately needs to make a bowl this year to show the program is headed in the right direction and to get whatever small payout it will receive.

Unfortunately I don't see 5 more wins in the cards for ASU this year. Wazzu & UCLA at home should be wins, but where else? Maybe Washington on the road, Locker is good but I don't know if they have enough otherwise. This upcoming stretch of @Wisc, vs Ore, @ OSU, @ Wash, @ Cal is brutal, the only games I have much hope for at this point would be the Washington and Cal games but them being on the road is tough.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I'm going to throw in my 8 win prediction out there again...just so everyone knows. I can either look very smart or be made fun of at the end of the season, but we will finish with 8 wins. :)

If we stop with these damn penalties.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to throw in my 8 win prediction out there again...just so everyone knows. I can either look very smart or be made fun of at the end of the season, but we will finish with 8 wins. :)

If we stop with these damn penalties.

Do we really have to wait for the end of the season? I mean, can't we poke a little fun at you now just so we're warmed up when the sad finish comes?

I hope you're right but I think 6 wins is our ceiling.

Steve

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
You can do what you wish, but then you'll just look really bad at the end of the season. :p

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
They started out nice, however since the near miss in Wisconsin, it's been downhill.

Problem with this team is they're so undisciplined.. Not exactly surprising considering Erickson's track record, however there's a few games they should have won that they let slip by.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I don't know, UCLA is falling apart with injuries and suspensions and you get them in Tempe. I know people get fired up about the discipline with good reason, but for me Erickson's biggest issue at ASU has been his QB recruiting. Since running off Nick Foles in 2007 he has recruited Stangel, Sckazcy, Elway, Osweiler, Threet, and some Idaho kid who's only other offer was from Reno. That's just pathetic. You can't win more than six or seven games in this conference with bad QB play.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
I don't know, UCLA is falling apart with injuries and suspensions and you get them in Tempe. I know people get fired up about the discipline with good reason, but for me Erickson's biggest issue at ASU has been his QB recruiting. Since running off Nick Foles in 2007 he has recruited Stangel, Sckazcy, Elway, Osweiler, Threet, and some Idaho kid who's only other offer was from Reno. That's just pathetic. You can't win more than six or seven games in this conference with bad QB play.

That is indeed pathetic.

I'm still baffled that he ran Foles off.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I'm still baffled that he ran Foles off.
He didn't technically run off Foles, Erickson kept his offer but also told Nick and his family that he wanted to recruit two more additional QB's. Issue was that Nick was Koetter's guy going forward and brought in nobody else. Erickson ended up landing Sczacky (3rd string at ASU) and Stangel (backup at NAU). They also somehow struck out on Matt Scott in 2008 when everyone and their mother from Centennial was ending up in Tempe. He ended up with Jack Elway who anyone could've told you was not a legitimate college quarterback.

The whole discipline thing is somewhat overrated, it maybe costs a team a game or two a year at most. With every poor athletic program you can almost universally trace the losing back to recruiting failures.

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
QB recruiting has been comical to say the least. Unbelievably bad judgment, but Erickson has always been enamored with 6-foot, weak-armed guys who can occasionally run. Just look at the guys he had at Wazzu and Miami. Hell, he won 11 games one year at OSU with 5-10 Jonathan Smith, who had a rifle for an arm ... but the rifle had a seriously bent scope. I think he completed 48 percent of his passes year before.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
It looks like I was wrong.

They may the 9th team but there is not a whole lot of difference between 1 and 9. ASU totally outplayed Oregon and would have won if they didn't make about 5 of the stupidest plays I've ever seen.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
They may the 9th team but there is not a whole lot of difference between 1 and 9. ASU totally outplayed Oregon and would have won if they didn't make about 5 of the stupidest plays I've ever seen.
Wow, Oregon beats ASU probably 95 times out of 100 which is why they're the #1 team in the country and ASU is 3-4 on their way to another stay home for the holidays. What happened in Tempe one game means next to nothing in determining how good Oregon is, feel free to look at each team's other six games to see the Grand Canyon sized difference in the two squads. Besides most people would argue that ASU making "five of the stupidest plays" you've ever seen is the reason they are not even close to Oregon who executes every week about as good as anyone in the country.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, Oregon beats ASU probably 95 times out of 100 which is why they're the #1 team in the country and ASU is 3-4 on their way to another stay home for the holidays. What happened in Tempe one game means next to nothing in determining how good Oregon is, feel free to look at each team's other six games to see the Grand Canyon sized difference in the two squads. Besides most people would argue that ASU making "five of the stupidest plays" you've ever seen is the reason they are not even close to Oregon who executes every week about as good as anyone in the country.

ASU has made those 5 stupid plays in about every game this year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort