NLBR: Sunday's a great test for Patrick Peterson

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I love PP21 as much as anyone on this board, but it's no secret that he's struggled containing smaller, shiftier WRs in the mold of Steve Smith.

Smith has traditionally put Patrick Peterson in a dress.

I'm very excited (and leery for my fantasy team with Smith as WR1) to see how Peterson locks up with the little guy on Sunday. I hope that he's going to be able to shut him down.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So Smith faced PP as a rookie. Any other time?

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=310911022

Good stats for Smith for sure.

Fair enough. Although it seems like we play the Panthers every year, we did not, in fact, play them last year.

I'm thinking of guys like Percy Harvin, Michael Crabtree, DeSean Jackson, etc. Rather than the Calvin Johnson/Roddy White/Marques Colston types.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. Although it seems like we play the Panthers every year, we did not, in fact, play them last year.

I'm thinking of guys like Percy Harvin, Michael Crabtree, DeSean Jackson, etc. Rather than the Calvin Johnson/Roddy White/Marques Colston types.
Hmm, Crabtree is pretty tall though. :) And I thought they played CAR last year too. :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is it with Carolina...and even worse Detroit? Do you guys remember the REALLY odd schedule quirk where we played Detroit twice...IN ONE SEASON? I think it was 1993. have to check that though.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What is it with Carolina...and even worse Detroit? Do you guys remember the REALLY odd schedule quirk where we played Detroit twice...IN ONE SEASON? I think it was 1993. have to check that though.
It was 93 and we lost both games, im pretty sure the one here Sanders was out and some no one ran for like 150yds on us.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was 93 and we lost both games, im pretty sure the one here Sanders was out and some no one ran for like 150yds on us.

up...memory served correct. it was 93, but we actually won the second game.

still can't figure out how we played a non-division opponent twice in one season.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
still can't figure out how we played a non-division opponent twice in one season.

That's how it worked back then... the two last-place teams in 5-team divisions in each conference played a home-and-home series vs. one another.

...dave

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's how it worked back then... the two last-place teams in 5-team divisions in each conference played a home-and-home series vs. one another.

...dave

you sure about that Dave? i don't remember any other team ever playing each other twice in one season like that. and if the above is true, considering we were almost always the last place team in a 5 team division, shouldn't this have happened more often?

CardinalMike

Chickens can't clap!
Reaction score
1992 we played TB twice. 1991 we played Minn twice. Whippersnappers GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1992 we played TB twice. 1991 we played Minn twice. Whippersnappers GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

weird. i never remembered that. I actually vividly remember the 1991 home game against the Vikes...came on the same weekend that I went to see U of A get clobbered by Miami in Tucson, then drove back up on Sunday to watch the Cards get clobbered in the rain.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
up...memory served correct. it was 93, but we actually won the second game.

We lost 21-14 @ SDS derrick moore ran for 107 and Kramer threw 3 tds

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
you sure about that Dave? i don't remember any other team ever playing each other twice in one season like that. and if the above is true, considering we were almost always the last place team in a 5 team division, shouldn't this have happened more often?

Looks like this stopped with the 95 expansion. Shockingly from 88-95 we only had 3 last place finishes 90-92

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Ahem.

BUMP

Peterson played very well yesterday, IMO.

I have two more parts to this:

1. Who are the top five CB in the league ?

2. Does Peterson move ahead of Richard Sherman. I mean, Peterson gets beat by Calvin Johnson on a long catch, and he is "less of a CB" for it. Richard Sherman got schooled by TY Hilton for Pete's sake.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Ahem.

BUMP

2. Does Peterson move ahead of Richard Sherman. I mean, Peterson gets beat by Calvin Johnson on a long catch, and he is "less of a CB" for it. Richard Sherman got schooled by TY Hilton for Pete's sake.

1. Peterson, Sherman, Joe Hayden (CLE), Revis Island, DeAngelo Hall.

2. I'll cop to not watching the Seahawks game, but isn't it likely that Sherman was locking up Reggie Wayne (6 rec, 65 yds, 0 TDs) and not Hilton?

Peterson played very well against Steve Smith. The INT was great, and Peterson has a great advantage playing trail technique against a smaller guy like Smith. I may look my fantasy matchup this week because the lil'guy got the yips in the end zone on that first drive. :bang:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Ahem.

BUMP

Seattle got beaten deep a couple times by Hilton Sunday. It looked like on Sherman's beat, the safety was late getting over then missed the tackle. If we had Andrew Luck, I'd like our chances against Seattle at home.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Panthers colors dress?

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score

I'd be hard pressed to find 4 CBs better than PP right now. He is the real deal.

Don't get too caught up in rankings in the media or whatever though. On the Saints board there are posters that freak out when Brees doesn't get the respect he's due and it's just silly. Just be happy with the fact you get to watch a guy play every week that is clearly one of the best at his position.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
1. Peterson, Sherman, Joe Hayden (CLE), Revis Island, DeAngelo Hall.

2. I'll cop to not watching the Seahawks game, but isn't it likely that Sherman was locking up Reggie Wayne (6 rec, 65 yds, 0 TDs) and not Hilton?

Peterson played very well against Steve Smith. The INT was great, and Peterson has a great advantage playing trail technique against a smaller guy like Smith. I may look my fantasy matchup this week because the lil'guy got the yips in the end zone on that first drive. :bang:

Sherman played LCB the whole game from what I could see. He played well, but did give up one first down to Wayne on a slant.
Browner can be beaten deep and was a couple times by Hilton. The key to beating Seattle is giving the QB time to throw. That's is less difficult away from Seattle, but still Luck was scrambling a lot and making throws on the run yesterday. He is really is an amazing athlete.
BTW, Indy dropped three passes in the first quarter. Seattle came out strong and led 12-0 before Indy's offense got untracked. Key play was a FG block and return for a TD by Indy in the first half.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson