News and rumors of potential coaching staff additions.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nope he 100% worked with QB's. The other guy, Ashton is it? He worked with TE's.
Not according to Brandon Little of Browns Digest in 2/21 article. “For Woolfolk this is a big step in his coaching career as he will now have his first position job in the league. While with the Browns, Woolfolk worked with tight ends specifically”

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not according to Brandon Little of Browns Digest in 2/21 article. “For Woolfolk this is a big step in his coaching career as he will now have his first position job in the league. While with the Browns, Woolfolk worked with tight ends specifically”

Its in the video I posted in this thread. He talks many times about working with the QBs last year under Petzing.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dom Capers was hoping to get hired by the Cards and thought his age was a problem...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Re Ryan Smith

"Considered a rising star in the industry, Smith was one of two Atlantic Coast Conference staff members to be named to 247Sports' 2020 College Football Rising Stars list. During his time in Blacksburg, he mentored 2021 Tennessee Titans first round draft pick Caleb Farley, while Dorian Strong was recognized on 247Sports' True Freshman All-America Team under his tutelage in 2020. Smith worked with cornerback Jermaine Waller to an All-ACC second team selection last season after Waller finished the regular season with a league-best four interceptions to go along with 45 tackles, 2.0 TFL, and five pass breakups in 11 games played.

The King George, Virginia, native arrived at Virginia Tech in January of 2020 after spending the 2019 campaign coaching the safeties and serving as the pro scout liaison at James Madison. In his lone year with JMU, the Dukes boasted one of the nation's stingiest defenses at the FCS level, ranking third in scoring defense (14.9 ppg), first in total defense (264.7 ypg) and second in third-down percentage (29.0%) en route to a berth in the FCS National Championship Game. James Madison also tied for seventh in the FCS with 17 interceptions, 11 of which came from Smith's safeties unit. He coached a pair of All-Colonial Athletic Association safeties at JMU in Adam Smith and D'Angelo Amos, who both earned first-team accolades. Smith was also a third-team All-America selection at safety, while Amos earned All-America honors as a punt returner. Smith led the Dukes with six interceptions, which was fourth nationally and second in the CAA. Amos had a pair of interceptions, while blocking three kicks on special teams."

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Alright, even I'm starting to get a little concerned about how many guys we're bringing in with only college experience. It's a different game out there. A little too young for my liking.

Again, I am not the expert here but if we are hiring position coaches who are great teachers and motivators - I think that is a good thing.

My concern will be around the game plan/strategy, adjustments, and execution. Do we have enough experience to go against the best in the NFL (Reid and Belichick) much less our own division).

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Alright, even I'm starting to get a little concerned about how many guys we're bringing in with only college experience. It's a different game out there. A little too young for my liking.

The other guys are bottom of the totem pole. QC coaches and assistants. A lot of team bring college guys into these roles.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Again, I am not the expert here but if we are hiring position coaches who are great teachers and motivators - I think that is a good thing.

My concern will be around the game plan/strategy, adjustments, and execution. Do we have enough experience to go against the best in the NFL (Reid and Belichick) much less our own division).
I think the point is that teaching the college game is very different than teaching the professional game.

Reaction score
Listening to Bidwill on Pasch’s Podcast, this is by design.

He quoted JG’s press conference where he said “football that is played in 2023 will be different to 2022” and said they are looking at works in college as is the experience the players have. Bidwill did say there will be a blending of the old and the new.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
One thing that is standing out to me - more and more - is the speed that we’re hiring the staff.

I’m sure they aren’t all JG’s first choice - but to me it’s clear he knows who he wants and is going out quickly and getting them.
In the Rallis press conference yesterday, Gannon actually said some of best advice he’s received is taking time to get it right. Said he’d been on zoom interviews from 7am to 11pm for several days. It may seem quick to us, but he may not see it the same way. I do feel, though, he’s being very deliberate in choosing candidates. Knows exactly who he wants and is going after them.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In the Rallis press conference yesterday, Gannon actually said some of best advice he’s received is taking time to get it right. Said he’d been on zoom interviews from 7am to 11pm for several days. It may seem quick to us, but he may not see it the same way. I do feel, though, he’s being very deliberate in choosing candidates. Knows exactly who he wants and is going after them.

One thing I liked in that presser was when he said something like "I've been interviewing guys and they have had some really great ideas and I've said to Nick that we need to look into some of them".

What I like about this staff is that a lot of coaches, most of them I'd say, are like "This is my way. I know this works. That's how I do it", and JG is the opposite. He wants to try new things, push the envelope and is always looking for new and better ways to do things.

How many head coaches do you think would say to their DC "What was the worst thing I did when I was your boss?" and then actually take that on board and learn from it?

Arealist

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
To add some levity to this thread.....

Breaking news!

"Gannon of the Arizona Cardinals indicates he is interested in hiring recent high school graduate Ima Tooyung as special teams coach. He says he is willy smart and therefore has lots of knowledge!

Could be a willy good hire:)

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
To add some levity to this thread.....

Breaking news!

"Gannon of the Arizona Cardinals indicates he is interested in hiring recent high school graduate Ima Tooyung as special teams coach. He says he is willy smart and therefore has lots of knowledge!

Could be a willy good hire:)
Lame

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard