New York Giants @ Arizona Cardinals Pre Game Thread. 09/10/23-09/16/23

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At the time, It broke a 20-year old Crimson Warrior's heart.

But I settled in to Phoenix Cardinals fandom pretty quick. What about you?
My Dad & I were baseball Cardinal fans first. While watching the Cardinals beat the Yankees in the 64 WS, an ad came on previewing the NFL game of the week. It was the Cardinals vs the Bears. I grew up in Syracuse, NY & up to that point we were Orangemen fans in college football & Buffalo Bills fans of the old AFL. I remember convincing my Dad that we needed to be St. Louis Cardinal fans in BOTH sports. He gave me grief over that decision for decades lol. Yes, I was crushed when the Cardinals left St. Louis. And had they changed their uniform or nickname, I would have gone elsewhere with my fandom. When I graduated from college in 80, I moved to the Baltimore/Washington area to take a job with Marriott Corp. I was so excited when it was rumored that Baltimore might be where the Cardinals might move to, since the Colts had moved to Indy. As rumor had it, Bill’s wife wanted to move to a warmer climate, so they chose Phoenix. ******* move completely. They kept the Cardinal name & uniform, so I kept rooting for them. I’d been a fan for almost 25 years, so I wasn’t about to change. Unless, of course, they became something stupid like the Arizona Rattlers lol.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would 2-17 be considered worst (Az) Cardinals team ever?
You obviously haven't been a fan for long lol. I've seen at least 25 Cardinal teams in my lifetime that are worst than this team. The defensive effort last Sunday is probably in the top 10 efforts since 1964, which is when I started watching this mess lol.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Barkley to go over 150 in rushing alone in this one.
Why would you "like" to see Barkley go for 150 lol. I would personally hate that. We'll hit him hard early on. That's how JG rolls. If he survives the first quarter, he'll have a big game. I do expect the Giants to bring their running game & everything they got. If we win or even if this is a close game, then the Cardinals will far surpass expectation this season. If this D continues to play like they are, then when Murray returns, we will be a tough out EVERY week.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
You obviously haven't been a fan for long lol. I've seen at least 25 Cardinal teams in my lifetime that are worst than this team. The defensive effort last Sunday is probably in the top 10 efforts since 1964, which is when I started watching this mess lol.
I've only been a fan since they moved to Az - and while I agree it was a mighty fine defensive effort I wouldn't historically categorize it like that - and I'm concerned the Commanders were just that bad

But if we do go 2-15 that would give us a winning percentage of just 11.76% and that my man is categorically historical

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've only been a fan since they moved to Az - and while I agree it was a mighty fine defensive effort I wouldn't historically categorize it like that - and I'm concerned the Commanders were just that bad

But if we do go 2-15 that would give us a winning percentage of just 11.76% and that my man is categorically historical
Dude, we're 0-1. That's a far cry from 2-15. When Murray returns, we will be a very tough out EVERY week. Until we bult the new stadium, about 95% of the teams we had in AZ were far worse than this team.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Dude, we're 0-1. That's a far cry from 2-15. When Murray returns, we will be a very tough out EVERY week. Until we bult the new stadium, about 95% of the teams we had in AZ were far worse than this team.
idk man - our offense is pretty bad

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone without tickets still? You could try to win some:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Football is more.complicated than just a record.

The Vikings were a bad 13-4 football team. Probably worst 13 win football team ever. There are 9-7 teams that were better than the Vikings were last year. Maybe even 8-8 or 7-9 teams that were statistically better. You could say, well they won 13 games, but they had a negative point differential, which indicates they weren't very good.

There is a world where the Cardinals.have a really bad record, but we look at the team and say " Gee they lost 15 games, but only two of those games were by 10 points or greater."

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score

I think commanders were good, and our offense was not as bad as I expected.
14 Carrie’s for corners 5 targets would be ok if, Ingram could have not went backwards as back up 5 times. Mostly commanders D but some of it was slow developing plays against a good defense.
yea we got field goals instead of touchdowns or cpuld have won on better red zone performance
but we didn’t now did we.

the PI proved lethal early, but got a expect one each game.

getting in tune too late may prove hazardous, but too early and could destroy him. Will see if he get a chance this week. Dobbs will be better but we know his ceiling his best game may not win a game., don’t know Tunes basement or floor or ceiling yet.

this is not Conners ceiling , but we another back to produce more then negative plays.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Why would you "like" to see Barkley go for 150 lol. I would personally hate that. We'll hit him hard early on. That's how JG rolls. If he survives the first quarter, he'll have a big game. I do expect the Giants to bring their running game & everything they got. If we win or even if this is a close game, then the Cardinals will far surpass expectation this season. If this D continues to play like they are, then when Murray returns, we will be a tough out EVERY week.
It's called betting talk, dude. I wouldn't literally like it to happen. I expect it to happen.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's called betting talk, dude. I wouldn't literally like it to happen. I expect it to happen.
I know that. I was just messing with you. I thought I threw an lol in there somewhere. I make that betting comment all the time.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just a reminder, the QB is usually the most important position for a reason. And, while I hope that PaCardsFan is correct, I have no idea when Kyler will return and how he will adapt to the new offense.
I’m guessing when KM is released for practice we’ll have an indication of his return. I could see he will need at least two weeks of practice time before returning.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
Just a reminder, the QB is usually the most important position for a reason. And, while I hope that PaCardsFan is correct, I have no idea when Kyler will return and how he will adapt to the new offense.

Even Kyler struggling some in the new system would be a significant improvement over Dobbs. My guess though is that we are going to be stuck with Dobbs for a few more weeks. I seriously doubt they want to put Tune out there against the brutal schedule in the short term.

I still don't understand why they just didn't send Blough out there to get pummeled for several weeks and save the 5th round pick. Can anyone seriously argue Dobbs is an upgrade over Blough? Besides our OC being really impressed how Dobbs comes out of the huddle of course.

We will see Tune eventually though if Kyler isn't ready until midway point of season or later.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stbmd