New York gets MLS expansion team

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/socce...-yankees-partner-form-mls-club-164407419.html

After years of very publicly planning and searching for a suitable ownership group to front a second MLS team in New York, the league has found it in a partnership between Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour of Abu Dhabi and the New York Yankees. The new team will be called New York City FC and will begin play in 2015 as the league's 20th club. It also marks the resolution of a very public spat between MLS commissioner Don Garber and Yankees president Randy Levine.

According to Reuters, Sheikh Mansour, who has pumped hundreds of millions of pounds into Premier League club Man City since buying it in 2008, will be the "majority partner" in NYCFC while the Yankees will be an "active member of the ownership group." The new MLS club required a record $100 million franchise fee.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big spending MLS team that can compete with LA can be seen as only good news for MLS.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!!!

I feel so much better now....... :D

P.S. who cares the venue..... that cry is about as representative of the game as anything... ;)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new MLS team has also managed to remove the salary cap from MLS entirely.

Yahoo said:
Though Man City and the New York Yankees have both been accused of spending their way to success in their respective leagues without salary caps, MLS prohibits teams from going over a $2.95 million limit. Up to three Designated Player slots can be used per team, where the maximum single-player budget of $368,750 can be exceed without counting against the cap. But now those rules are no more, clearing the path for NYCFC, who recently named former Man City midfielder and U.S. national team captain Claudio Reyna the club's first director of football, to bring in as many marquee players that limitless funding can buy.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing that the NY area deserved another team. They don't sell out that beutiful stadium with players like Cahill and Henry...adding another team there just doesn't make sense. I realize that the Red Bulls play in NJ but that is closer to NYC than the Home Depot Center is to downtown LA.

Oh well, money talks though...I hope they raaise the level of play.