New Star Wars MMORPG

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I played Star Wars Galaxies when it first came out, it got tedious with all the crafting and then even worse when they allowed all the enhancements/mod type things for people and then they got rid of some character classes. Some of the changes made some player characters practically invincible and I didn't play enough to keep up so it made PvP ridiculously stupid.

Still I am a Star Wars fan and they are introducing a new online game sometime in 2010... Star Wars: The Old Republic

The trailer looks awesome but how much that actual reflects game play you can't say for sure. I plan to try it at least, hopefully they learn from the mistakes of SWG...although it seems to be a completely different development team.

Here is the website...http://www.swtor.com/

Anyone else interested?

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Made by Bioware. Masters.
If anyone can usurp WoW it's this.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
I'm very cautious about Old Rebublic...

I got into Galaxies years ago when it first came out, and still play it from time-to-time. If you walked away from SWG after the NGE came out November 2005 you'd be blown away by how much better the game is now (however, it still pales in comparison to pre-CU, or CU, SWG).

While the first two KOTOR's were awesome single player games, Old Republic seems...for lack of a better term...fishy to me.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
BioWare is an excellent EXCELLENT company and just knowing they're attached to it do wonders for its legitimacy as a threat to WoW.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I started playing SWG the second day it went online, it was a blast right off the bat and for months after then it started to nosedive when the online economy got ridiculous and Jedi started popping up everywhere. I always thought SWG would have been better set in the Old Republic era, especially with everyone wanting to be a Jedi/dark Jedi/Sith...didn't fit in to their timeline.

The more I read and the more videos they release the more excited I am getting about this game. I haven't purchased a new PC game in months so it looks like this will be the next one.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When MMORPG games are available on xbox I'll get excited about them, until then, I spend too much time on my computer as it is. I know it seems like a silly reason, but still...

Champions online is supposed to be the first, and it's right up my alley...

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
When MMORPG games are available on xbox I'll get excited about them, until then, I spend too much time on my computer as it is. I know it seems like a silly reason, but still...

Champions online is supposed to be the first, and it's right up my alley...

Just a quick caveat...

Champions will test your will to play after a while...at least it did for me. Too much grinding, not enough story/content, and they changed up (nerfed) almost every powerset a week after launch...which was especially bad for beta-test folks like myself.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a quick caveat...

Champions will test your will to play after a while...at least it did for me. Too much grinding, not enough story/content, and they changed up (nerfed) almost every powerset a week after launch...which was especially bad for beta-test folks like myself.
did you test on a pc, or were you able to get your hands on an early game console version?

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
did you test on a pc, or were you able to get your hands on an early game console version?

The PC version. I was in on the beta testing, and played on live servers for the first month.

With all it's improvements on the typical MMO mold, Champions ultimately felt like City of Heroes/Villains 2 with less a interesting back-story. The character-creator is truly dazzling, but it gets old.

It's a pity that I burned out on it so quickly as I was really looking forward to the joint PC/360 servers.

EDIT---> Wow, what a difference a few months make...Champions Online

To be honest, I'm hoping that DC Universe Online for the PS3 is as good as it's billed to be...but I'm not holding my breath...it is SOE...

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I will never touch a MMORPG again after playing lots of WOW, acutally playing in a top ten guild worldwide for some time and for the rest of the time leading my own guild on a server to every first kill basically from Ragnaros to Nefarian to CThun to KelThuzad to Kil'Jaeden to Malygos.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Unfortunately this is basically going to be WoW in a star wars skin.. Well, I guess its not that bad. Still looking for a game with old school UO rule set.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
I'm going to keep playing WOW until Final Fantasy 14 comes out. I've been very disappointed by every MMO since WOW, but hopefully 14 delivers. 11 was fun.

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score

The "hard" rumor is now a December 2011 release...personally, I'd figure on something more like Spring 2012.

They are really aiming high on this, and they're pumping loads of cash into it's development. I hope they don't release it broken, or unfinished (a la Star Wars: Galaxies), to capitalize sooner on that investment.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
They have comic books and novels trying to build the back story for this game. I understand they don't want to rush the game but with each new online video they release the more anxious I am to play it.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Interesting choice, I am thinking Bounty Hunter or Smuggler...then of course I have to have a Sith or Jedi as a secondary character.

This is a pretty cool new trailer, it is a week or so old....
http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/return
Yeah, I'll have to do the Jedi as a secondary character as well. I love the Han Solo type character but it just isn't my playing style.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The game is available for pre-order now. I ordered the collectors edition...

Star Wars: The Old Republic is available in three versions: Collector’s Edition; Digital Deluxe Edition; and Standard Edition.

The $149.99 Collector’s Edition includes several physical items, like a Darth Malgus Statue from Gentle Giant, the journal of Jedi Master Gnost Dural from Chronicle Books, The Music of The Old Republic soundtrack, a security key, and a map of the in-game Star Wars galaxy. Virtual items include a Flare Gun, Training Droid, personal HoloDancer, HoloCam, the STAP vehicle, and access to the Collector's Store, an in-game store with items only available to Collector’s Edition buyers. This version also includes 30 days of game time.

The Digital Deluxe version, meanwhile, will sell for $79.99 and also includes 30 days of game time, in addition to five virtual items—the Flare Gun, Training Droid, personal HoloDancer, HoloCam, and the STAP vehicle.

For $59.99, the Standard Edition includes the game and 30 days of game time.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388872,00.asp

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I ordered the DDE last night. See you guys in the early access. We should report back here server/faction/etc when we know more...

Playing Rift now until release date.

Treefiddy

Richard Cranium
Reaction score
The "hard" rumor is now a December 2011 release...personally, I'd figure on something more like Spring 2012.

They're still trying for December and EA has even done some promising to the public about "this year", but I don't quite think it's ready yet.

The game is extremely fun so far, but there are entire zones which still need to be polished/fixed. I still have slight control issues and UI lag with my character as well.

BTW, Space Combat looks infinitely more fun in their trailer videos than it actually is. The first mission I did was killing other fighters. It was essentially this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hCXNXGvYfVk#t=48s

I've played two classes, Jedi Consular and Republic Trooper. So far the Trooper has been much more interesting and entertaining. The dialog options are better as well when you have a war hardened A Hole vs a Jedi.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson