New draft article on front page

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great to see Ed posting again.

One minor nitpick: I believe the term "planet player" originated with the late Giant GM, George Young - who used to say there were only so many players on the planet who weighed over a certain number of pounds or who ran faster than anyone else.

Joel Buchsbaum popularized many other phrases - including" "Looks like Tarzan/plays like Jane", "All Pro from the neck down" and "He'll make your draft or break your heart."

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting but I don't see how PacMan is on the same level as Rolle and Johnson, he's a great athlete but he's raw as hell. He routinely relies on his speed to make up for being fooled or out of position, gambles a lot, and is a notorious talker who seems to get at least one silly penalty a game. He's sort of where Adrian Wilson was when we drafted him, in time he'll be very good but right away he'll have the same problems at CB Wilson did at SS. He IS a great punt returner though.

Regarding the Rodgers comment, anybody that refers to his release as "long javelin-like" has simply never seen the guy play. He's got one of the shorter, quicker releases of any QB I've ever seen. NFL scouts consistently say mechanically he's as good as any QB they've seen in years, footwork, throwing motion. If he were 2 inches taller there wouldn't be any debate at all on who SF should take.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First online scouting report that came up on Google on Rodgers:

"If you wanted to make a video on how to be a textbook quarterback, Rodgers would be the model for it. It's almost strange to watch someone who has such pinpoint footwork and mechanics, because you expect quarterbacks to develop their own personal style to their throwing, but with Rodgers, everything is by the book. He has very good accuracy on his throws, and has confidence in his arm on both the short routes, as well as the deep ones. Rodgers has developed very quickly into a great leader on the field, evidenced by the confidence his teammates have in him. He handles pressure very well, and although he's not the most mobile guy, he is very good at feeling or anticipating pressure and escaping. This is a great asset to have, especially when you pair it with a strong ability to throw while on the run."

In fact the point that I have heard scouts are concerned with on Rodgers is his mechanics and motion are so "perfect" they're concerned what happens in an NFL game with huge fast guys all around him if protection breaks down? We know in the pocket he can set himself and throw a perfect ball, but can he improvise?

Sorry but saying the guys throwing motion is long is like saying Carl Lewis would have been faster if he had better running mechanics.

The key on Rodgers is going to be when he gets measured, how tall is he really, that's the key question.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This year I agree with Ed. I'm really hoping for Johnson or Rolle as well. I'm hoping we've addressed RB and DT in free agency to stay away from the temptation to take one of those positions at #8.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Great article I really liked it. I don't know about you being the bust expert though, you whiffed kinda hard on Freeney :rolleyes: J/K. I really want the Cards to land Rolle or Johnson!!! Add these guys to the talent already on the D and this team could end up being like the Bucs. Put together a great Corp of young Defensive talent. Switched uniforms and stadiums. Added a proven coach and all of a sudden Bam, the Cards are playing there asses off :eek:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
This year I agree with Ed. I'm really hoping for Johnson or Rolle as well. I'm hoping we've addressed RB and DT in free agency to stay away from the temptation to take one of those positions at #8.

I'm firmly onboard with Johnson although the more I think about how Darling played this year, Johnson is not a "need" pick. But I think if he's there, he's the BPA and he's an impact guy.

I like Rolle a lot too, quality player. From what people are saying it actually wouldn't stun me if we looked hard at Marcus Spears too, but while I love the kid I still think 8 is too early to pick him. But apparently he's really impressing scouts at the senior bowl.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good article. Minor point is that DeAngelo Williams did not declare. Denny has always gone for the best player available so I don't see that changing. Key will be who is signed during the free agency period by those teams picking ahead of us (of course what we do also).

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:
Great article I really liked it. I don't know about you being the bust expert though, you whiffed kinda hard on Freeney :rolleyes: J/K. I really want the Cards to land Rolle or Johnson!!! Add these guys to the talent already on the D and this team could end up being like the Bucs. Put together a great Corp of young Defensive talent. Switched uniforms and stadiums. Added a proven coach and all of a sudden Bam, the Cards are playing there asses off :eek:

Everybody whiffs on a players in draft prognostication. Heck, even, Harry, who probably has better credentials than any poster here, was warning everyone to stay away from Darnell Dockett last year.

As for Derrick Johnson I expect him to drop as most teams, for some strange reason, do not take Linebackers high in the draft. Yet most of the dominant teams over the past few years are the ones with the best Linebackers. IMO NE's linebackers are the best in the League by far and a major reason the Patriots are the class of the NFL.

BleedRed

Registered
Reaction score
Nice article, I'd be happy with Rolle, Johnson, or Jones for sure.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No mention of JJ Arrington as a possible RB choice. Wondering why?

BigRed

Cardinals for Life
Reaction score
After last years draft I'm sure Green will have another good round of picks.

artp

Registered
Reaction score
az jam said:
Good article. Minor point is that DeAngelo Williams did not declare. Denny has always gone for the best player available so I don't see that changing. Key will be who is signed during the free agency period by those teams picking ahead of us (of course what we do also).

If Denny truly drafts BPA, our draft pick won't be determined by any FA signings. The BPA stuff is a hoax. Would the Cardinals draft WR B Edwards (Mich)? Would Denny draft a WR on day 1, even if they were the BPA at the time of the pick? I don't think so.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At 5-9 204, he's not big enough to be a 22 - 32 carries a game workhorse and, based on what I saw during the Senior Bowl, he didn't appear have the elite speed or moves of a Cadillac Williams or even the much smaller Sproles.

Although their ranking could vary within the top 12 or so, you could make the case for the RB's to shake out something like:

1. Brown
2. Benson
3. Williams
4. Morency
5. Fason
6. Jacobs
7. Gore
8. Sproles
9. Betterson
10. Shelton
11. Harris
12. Clarett
with Arrington possibly but not necessarily ranked somewhere between 9 & 13.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
At 5-9 204, he's not big enough to be a 22 - 32 carries a game workhorse and, based on what I saw during the Senior Bowl, he didn't appear have the elite speed or moves of a Cadillac Williams or even the much smaller Sproles.

Although their ranking could vary within the top 12 or so, you could make the case for the RB's to shake out something like:

1. Brown
2. Benson
3. Williams
4. Morency
5. Fason
6. Jacobs
7. Gore
8. Sproles
9. Betterson
10. Shelton
11. Harris
12. Clarett

I guarantee that 5-5 Darren Sproles will not be drafted before JJ Arrington. I also predict he will not be drafted on the first day unless a team like the Pats, who can afford a novelty-type pick, takes him. He's good for a handful of plays and a KR. Like Turner said after the game, he didn't have to block this week, which is a huge liability for Sproles.

spanky1

Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

1. Brown
2. Benson
3. Williams
4. Morency
5. Fason
6. Jacobs
7. Gore
8. Sproles
9. Betterson
10. Shelton
11. Harris
12. Clarett

Jeff,

Marion Barber III is not on this list.......an oversight I suspect?

Also Ryan Moats?

Last edited:

BigRed

Cardinals for Life
Reaction score
As an Ohio State Fan I wouldn't want anything to do with Clarett. He's a head case.

OP
OP
Skkorpion

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigRed said:
As an Ohio State Fan I wouldn't want anything to do with Clarett. He's a head case.

I disagree. He's selfish and immature but he's no head case. Perhaps you resent him for exposing the rotten core of the Ohio State program?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
artp said:
If Denny truly drafts BPA, our draft pick won't be determined by any FA signings. The BPA stuff is a hoax. Would the Cardinals draft WR B Edwards (Mich)? Would Denny draft a WR on day 1, even if they were the BPA at the time of the pick? I don't think so.
You are right as Denny already has stated that he won't go wr at #8.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I listened to a talk radio show out of Chicago yesterday, and they had a great conversation about the draft and specifically who the Bears should take with the #4 overall selection. Most of the conversation with the Bears centered around taking guys like Braylon Edwards and Mike Williams since the Bears are so weak at wide reciever, but they then went with a Dennis Green type philosophy and decided to talk about who the Bears would take if they truly went with the best player available scenerio.

The two guys who came up constantly with the fans and with those participating in the show were Antrelle Rolle and Derek Johnson. Most agreed that the Bears would never take one of these guys because they are very much a draft for need type of organization and they already have a strong defense and an absolutely horrible offense, but if they did draft purely best athlete available Rolle and Johnson were they guys.

Pro Football Weekly has us taking Johnson at #8 and describe the selection by saying that paired with SLB Carlos Dansby, the Cards would have a suffocating defense. I couldn't agree more. Pro Football Weekly had a linebacker preview a couple of months ago and described Johnson as a special player, even a rare player.

Dennis Green said last year that he had learned from his mistakes at Minnesota, namely that he needed to rule with an iron fist and that he needed to have a balanced football team which I took to mean realized that he didn't focus enough on the defense. Add a guy like Rolle or Johnson to the already fast defense and the Cards could be dominant on defense.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would love to see either D. Johnson or Rolle there at #8 and the Cards pick either. IMO they both will be gone by #8 but who knows what can happen on draft day.