Netflix Disney/Marvel TV Show

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Sounds intriguing...

The streaming TV service on Thursday said it had acquired a package of four drama series and one mini-series – about 60 episodes – based on the Marvel characters of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Luke Cage. Marvel and ABC Television Studios, divisions of the Walt Disney Company, will produce the programming, which will start to unspool on Netflix starting in 2015.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/08/b...r-series-based-on-marvel-characters.html?_r=0

Daredevil was always one of my favorite characters when I read comics. I hope they do it right.

Iron Fist & Luke Cage I remember...
You must be registered for see images attach

Not sure who Jessica Jones is though...
You must be registered for see images attach

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on Netflix, these have the ability to be pretty gritty and kickass. just a HUGE deal for Netflix. Monster deal.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on Netflix, these have the ability to be pretty gritty and kickass. just a HUGE deal for Netflix. Monster deal.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Maybe your next project should be writing for a Netflix series... :devil:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

based on the charectors they acquired, Im not sure its a monster deal. One is new, daredevil is ok and iron fist had one series of comics and a few guest appearances.

Not world beater charectors by any means.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
based on the characters they acquired, I'm not sure its a monster deal. One is new, daredevil is OK and iron fist had one series of comics and a few guest appearances.

Not world beater characters by any means.

Daredevil is big. Both Iron Fist and Luke Cage have followers. Iron Fist had his own series in the 70's, shared a title with Luke Cage - Power Man and Iron Fist - for many years, and recently has been one of the New Avengers. Jessica Jones is newer and no doubt is included so they can have a female presence on the "team." She had a baby (Danielle (named after Danny Rand aka Iron Fist)) with Luke Cage and married him in New Avengers Annual #1.

I wonder if any other "Defenders" will make appearances in these other series? Founding members were basically Doctor Strange, The Hulk, and the Sub-Mariner. Over the years many others were members of the team including Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Daredevil, Clea (Doctor Strange's lover), Silver Surfer, Black Knight, Hawkeye, Son of Satan, Hank Pym (as Yellowjacket and more recently as Ant Man), etc. Later the team was re-assembled and modeled after the Avengers with these "founding" members: Angel, Beast, Gargoyle, Iceman, Moondragon, and Valkyrie.

Like the Avengers, over the years so many heroes have been associate members or recurring members so this series could easily rotate many fringe - or even well known - characters in and out of the mix at any time.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i didnt know power man / iron fist went on for years or that there was a new avengers. My nerd card has been revoked.

I do have the original iron fist series including the introduction of sabretooth to marvel though along with the marvel super heroes but that is far from the avengers.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
based on the charectors they acquired, Im not sure its a monster deal. One is new, daredevil is ok and iron fist had one series of comics and a few guest appearances.

Not world beater charectors by any means.

the very fact that they got a four for one deal, with one of them being Daredevil who, regardless of the Affleck debacle, is a very well know superhero, on a channel that is just building is a monster deal for anyone, much less Netflix who's just beginning to establish itself as a network with the big boys.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I am very interested to see what the casting choices will be. Will we get relative unknowns or TV vets?

As for Daredevil, I loved the Frank Miller stories from the 80's...if they could get that feel in the series it could be awesome.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
I haven't seen this anywhere, but are these going to be animated or live-action?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
really solid hire to showrun the Daredevil series:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/29665/-cabin-director-to-pen-netflix-s-daredevil

Goddard is not only a very good writer/director, but he's pretty outside the box creatively. Between House Of Cards, Orange Is The New Black and this latest deal, Netflix is just killing it right now.

We just watched the episode after the chicken episode of orange is the new black and again - I just dont seem to like it. I keep trying to.

My wife likes it.

I just cant get into it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
really solid hire to showrun the Daredevil series:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/29665/-cabin-director-to-pen-netflix-s-daredevil

Goddard is not only a very good writer/director, but he's pretty outside the box creatively. Between House Of Cards, Orange Is The New Black and this latest deal, Netflix is just killing it right now.

I love Goddard. Been a fan since his days with Joss on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and his involvement with Angel.

Having said that this show will live or die by the budget. If it gets a decent budget it can be done well with this guy helming it. If not, this will come off as some cheesy attempt to capitalize on the hero craze.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Goddard. Been a fan since his days with Joss on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and his involvement with Angel.

Having said that this show will live or die by the budget. If it gets a decent budget it can be done well with this guy helming it. If not, this will come off as some cheesy attempt to capitalize on the hero craze.

I have much more faith in a cable provider (which Netflix basically is) then what networks are offering with pretty run of the mill stuff like Agents Of Shield. Also, with Goddard at the helm, they've got a supremely talented guy captaining the ship. I know that Joss is technically an EP on Shield, but it's mostly in name only. His brother and wife run that ride and from the little i've seen and more i've heard, it doesn't sound like an overly fun one.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have much more faith in a cable provider (which Netflix basically is) then what networks are offering with pretty run of the mill stuff like Agents Of Shield. Also, with Goddard at the helm, they've got a supremely talented guy captaining the ship. I know that Joss is technically an EP on Shield, but it's mostly in name only. His brother and wife run that ride and from the little i've seen and more i've heard, it doesn't sound like an overly fun one.

I had a friend that was blown away by the pilot of Agents of Shield and proclaimed that it would change the way stories are told. He is a writer, by the way, and I just don't see it that way.

Agents of SHIELD is pretty boring with bland actors and it's trying to get by on little in-jokes to the Marvel movies. It will crash and burn at some point. Whether that is because it is on a major broadcast network or it simply isn't a good show is a matter for debate. You can take risks on Netflix, and that's great as far as I'm concerned.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I had a friend that was blown away by the pilot of Agents of Shield and proclaimed that it would change the way stories are told. He is a writer, by the way, and I just don't see it that way.

Agents of SHIELD is pretty boring with bland actors and it's trying to get by on little in-jokes to the Marvel movies. It will crash and burn at some point. Whether that is because it is on a major broadcast network or it simply isn't a good show is a matter for debate. You can take risks on Netflix, and that's great as far as I'm concerned.

I'll disagree, but only halfway. It sure in the heck isn't going to change the way stories are told any more, and it's in no way in the Thor/Iron Man/Avengers level. It's a decent show that's fun to watch. I don't think it's boring or bland. I enjoy it about like I enjoy Castle or Supernatural any more.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll disagree, but only halfway. It sure in the heck isn't going to change the way stories are told any more, and it's in no way in the Thor/Iron Man/Avengers level. It's a decent show that's fun to watch. I don't think it's boring or bland. I enjoy it about like I enjoy Castle or Supernatural any more.

Really? I think Castle is a shadow of the show it started out to be but it would have to drop a lot more to be in Agents of Shield territory AFAIC. I wanted to love this show but the best I could do was force myself to almost like it. And it went downhill from there. I don't know if it's poor casting, bad direction, horrible writing or just lame characters but I feel nothing for these agents. I've said it before, the wrong Whedon is driving this bus. If his name was Jed Buttkowski he'd never be given this much responsibility (in my very uninformed opinion).

Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard