Nebraska gone to Big 10

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
ASU now plays in the most badass conference in the history of the universe. Why would they not recruit better than they ever have before?

OP
OP
Renz

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
ASU now plays in the most badass conference in the history of the universe. Why would they not recruit better than they ever have before?

+1

It will be much easier getting recruits in Texas and Oklahoma if they know they will be playing games back in their home states instead of in Washington and Oregon.

Also, the AZ schools will have much more exposure in Texas because their games will be televised there every week.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
That will cut both ways. Those schools will open up inroads into California and Arizona too. Recruiting in Texas against Texas and Oklahoma is already brutal.

In the end, it will be about getting the right coaches in place to compete in the new conference for both ASU and UofA.

Your points are valid, but I prefer to see the other side of this... where UA and ASU will have more of an oppty to pick off Texas and Oklahoma recruits who were not going to be signed by UT or OU, but can now go play for a PAC-10 team like UA or ASU and ensure that they will be playing multiple times back at home, in front of family and friends, against the school that shunned them.
I see it as a BIG opportunity for both UA and ASU!!

;)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your points are valid, but I prefer to see the other side of this... where UA and ASU will have more of an oppty to pick off Texas and Oklahoma recruits who were not going to be signed by UT or OU, but can now go play for a PAC-10 team like UA or ASU and ensure that they will be playing multiple times back at home, in front of family and friends, against the school that shunned them.
I see it as a BIG opportunity for both UA and ASU!!

;)

I do too. It puts more focus on the Arizona schools in Texas and Oklahoma than normally would.

Plus, games against Texas and Oklahoma schools, especially in Sept and October, are more likely to get exposure on the east coast.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I do too. It puts more focus on the Arizona schools in Texas and Oklahoma than normally would.

Plus, games against Texas and Oklahoma schools, especially in Sept and October, are more likely to get exposure on the east coast.

Yeppers! I think this is really an amazing oppty for both school, but ASU in particular as ASU is located in a huge market - population wise. This gives ASU and Phoenix the best chance it could have ever hoped for to grab immediate, meaningful $$ and national awareness. There is nothing else both the school and the area could have done that would present this type of immediate (for clarity, I don't mean to suggest to a 2-3 year timeframe here. More like a 5-7 year window) impact. ASU now possesses the largest enrollment of all public universities in the country. PHX is now the 5th largest Metro area in the country.
This needed to happen. The school and the metro area are poised for it. Just hope the ball doesn't get dropped, so to speak...

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeppers! I think this is really an amazing oppty for both school, but ASU in particular as ASU is located in a huge market - population wise. This gives ASU and Phoenix the best chance it could have ever hoped for to grab immediate, meaningful $$ and national awareness. There is nothing else both the school and the area could have done that would present this type of immediate (for clarity, I don't mean to suggest to a 2-3 year timeframe here. More like a 5-7 year window) impact. ASU now possesses the largest enrollment of all public universities in the country. PHX is now the 5th largest Metro area in the country.
This needed to happen. The school and the metro area are poised for it. Just hope the ball doesn't get dropped, so to speak...

Oh, I think it COULD be good for the school in terms of recruiting. But, ONLY if we have the right coaches in place who can win in the new conference. I think Sendek is fine, baseball will be fine, but i'm far from confident in what will happen with football.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Oh, I think it COULD be good for the school in terms of recruiting. But, ONLY if we have the right coaches in place who can win in the new conference. I think Sendek is fine, baseball will be fine, but i'm far from confident in what will happen with football.

Well, trying to be positive on the football front, we should have enough revenue to bring in a better option than DE.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Well, trying to be positive on the football front, we should have enough revenue to bring in a better option than DE.
When the new conference starts and that extra revenue kicks in, then yeah. Not until then though, ASU is worse off financially than Arizona and I know for a fact that we're stretched pretty thin.

I think ASU lets this play out under DE and builds up it's coffers for the next couple years no matter what happens and then makes a move before 2012. Unless he's winning 10 games which is highly unlikely.

Stoops is tied to Arizona unless someone wants him which I don't see. Arizona needs to figure out it's facility problems before 2012 for damn sure.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
When the new conference starts and that extra revenue kicks in, then yeah. Not until then though, ASU is worse off financially than Arizona and I know for a fact that we're stretched pretty thin.

I think ASU lets this play out under DE and builds up it's coffers for the next couple years no matter what happens and then makes a move before 2012. Unless he's winning 10 games which is highly unlikely.

Looks like Erickson's contract ends right before the change, so it may be a natural transition. If the PAC 10 is indeed bringing 20 mil per year, there should be some good coaches at schools that can no longer afford them. We'll certainly need it to try and compete with our brutal schedules.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Looks like Erickson's contract ends right before the change, so it may be a natural transition. If the PAC 10 is indeed bringing 20 mil per year, there should be some good coaches at schools that can no longer afford them. We'll certainly need it to try and compete with our brutal schedules.

If Erickson can't win this year - by that I mean putting up at least 9 wins, he's toast... And as has been mentioned by others here, Lisa Love should have Mike Leach on speed-dial!!!

;)

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If Erickson can't win this year - by that I mean putting up at least 9 wins, he's toast... And as has been mentioned by others here, Lisa Love should have Mike Leach on speed-dial!!!

;)

Somebody was talking about letting DE's contract just run out, that never happens. It would set the program back at least 5 years to have a lame duck coach with a vote of no confidence. It is best to fire him when he has one year left on his contract. This year is Erickson's contract year. If he doesn't get it done look for him to be replaced in December.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

;)
If Sendek doesn't have tournament success soon, he can follow DE out the door.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
If Sendek doesn't have tournament success soon, he can follow DE out the door.

Not likely. Expectations for hoops and football are different at ASU. (Although the hoops program is moving in the right direction, while football is backsliding)

Herb did a great job last year with a pretty yuck group of players, and has a pretty nice bunch coming in next year. I don't see him going anywhere anytime soon, unless he's upgrading.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not likely. Expectations for hoops and football are different at ASU. (Although the hoops program is moving in the right direction, while football is backsliding)

Herb did a great job last year with a pretty yuck group of players, and has a pretty nice bunch coming in next year. I don't see him going anywhere anytime soon, unless he's upgrading.
I am sticking to my post. Win in the tournament.

Next time ASU calls for money, I tell them they get nothing until they get to the Final Four.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I think he's locked through the 2012 season, so yeah as of now he only is signed up for one year of the transition. ASU would have to win four or less games this year for Erickson to get canned (the 9 wins or you're out theory is laughable). There's no money to buy him out and bring in another staff unless they go way cheap on the latter.

Sendek is a nice coach, a good fit at a football/basketball school like ASU. But you guys will tire of him in a few years like NC State fans if you still can't get over the hump. Despite being better than Rob Evans his resume so far at ASU is nothing to write home about with another NIT appearance looming. Like I said, neither of us as of now have "the guy" in place in football or basketball.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think he's locked through the 2012 season, so yeah as of now he only is signed up for one year of the transition. ASU would have to win four or less games this year for Erickson to get canned (the 9 wins or you're out theory is laughable). There's no money to buy him out and bring in another staff unless they go way cheap on the latter.

Sendek is a nice coach, a good fit at a football/basketball school like ASU. But you guys will tire of him in a few years like NC State fans if you still can't get over the hump. Despite being better than Rob Evans his resume so far at ASU is nothing to write home about with another NIT appearance looming. Like I said, neither of us as of now have "the guy" in place in football or basketball.

I anticipate as much as well. Where did you hear 9 wins or out? Considering its looking like we'll be dogs in almost every away game, that's an impossible order.

I know you're unimpressed with Ol' Herb, but he definitely made chicken salad out of you know what last year, and has put together a very nice group of recruits for the upcoming season. He hasn't gotten a ton of top big men, but looks like at least a couple of the most recent recruits can play the 3-4, especially in his offense. Maybe he isn't the guy that gets us over the hump, he he certainly looks like the guy that can get us to that point, which would be a major accomplishment looking back at the Rob Evans years.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is officially official.

Updated: June 11, 2010, 6:29 PM ET
Nebraska approved by Big Ten

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Nebraska made it official Friday and applied for membership in the Big Ten Conference, a potentially crippling blow to the Big 12 and the biggest move yet in an offseason overhaul that will leave college sports looking much different by this time next year.

Hours later, the Big Ten Council of presidents and chancellors unanimously approved Nebraska's application.

Nebraska Chancellor Harvey Perlman disclosed the plan the join the Big Ten during a meeting of the university's Board of Regents, proposing that play in the new conference begin in 2011 after one more year in the Big 12. He said he believed Nebraska is much more "aligned" with the Big Ten than the Big 12 when it comes to academics, culture and athletics.

The move offers stability "that the Big 12 simply cannot offer," Perlman said, and the regents unanimously approved a resolution supporting a move to the Big Ten.

Adding Nebraska is the Big Ten's first expansion since 1990, when Penn State joined. Big 12 officials in Dallas did not immediately return messages seeking comment.

Nebraska's move comes at the end of a crazy week in college athletics.

On Thursday, fellow Big 12 member Colorado announced it was leaving for the Pac-10. Texas and other schools in the Big 12 South -- Perlman told the regents that the Pac-10 had been in touch with many schools in that division -- could be the next to leave. Texas regents scheduled a meeting for Tuesday to discuss the Longhorns' future in the Big 12.

"One school leaving a conference does not destroy a conference," Perlman said. "Nebraska did not start this discussion. After the Big Ten announced it planned to consider expansion, we saw reports that Missouri would want to go to the Big Ten, including a statement by their governor, a member of board of curators and chancellor -- comments that weren't clearly supportive of the Big 12."

Scott Van Pelt

CNBC's Darren Rovell explains why the Big Ten is so attractive to schools that are looking to relocate. Rovell also discusses some of the possible financial implications for programs that change conferences.

Osborne, the longtime football coach, agreed.

"As we read the tea leaves and listened to the conversations, some of the schools that were urging us to stay, we found some of them had talked to not only one other conference or two but even three, and those were the same ones urging us to stay," he said.

To generations of Nebraska fans, going to the Big Ten at one time would have been unthinkable. The school's athletic tradition is built on more than a century of football games against the likes of Missouri and Kansas, dating to the days the team was known as the Bugeaters.

The Huskers, in fact, have been conference partners with Iowa State, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma and Kansas State since 1928; with Colorado since 1948 and with Oklahoma State since 1960.

Now the Huskers are taking their five national titles in football and three Heisman trophies east. They will look to start building new traditions, like a border rivalry with the Iowa Hawkeyes and regular trips to Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State.

At Iowa State, a Big 12 school rarely mentioned in realigment discussions, officials sent an open letter to boosters expressing disappointment in the moves by Colorado and Nebraska.

"But as all of the discussions about conference realignment illustrate, the future of college athletics appears to be less about academics and competitive success and more about money, as measured by television viewership and the associated revenues," the letter said.

Fatter paychecks will be coming to Nebraska, eventually. Nebraska received about $10 million from the Big 12 in 2009, half the $20 million received by Big Ten members (thanks largely to bigger television contracts and the in-house Big Ten Network).

The Big Ten told Perlman that no current member would receive a reduced share of revenue from the conference because of the addition of a new member. Perlman said Nebraska has been assured it would not receive less than it did in the Big 12, however, if it joins the Big Ten.

"This is not a financial windfall," Osborne said.

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany has said he wanted to add only members that would be considered "home runs." The Huskers' football team struggled in the early and mid 2000s but have returned to national prominence the past two seasons under coach Bo Pelini, an Ohio State alumnus.

Regent Tim Clare said the football resurgence helped Nebraska's cause in conference realignment.

"We were losing our edge athletically before coach Pelini came back," he said. "His success has resonated throughout the athletic department. The leaders we've got in place, the great coaches we have ... Look at the position we're in now."

As for the Big 12, it never was a comfortable fit for the Huskers.

When the league formed, Nebraska football was at its pinnacle, having won three national titles between 1994-97 and winning 60 of 63 games before Osborne retired as coach.

That success didn't translate to juice when it came to influencing league policies.

Nebraska and the old Big Eight members, all of whom went to the Big 12, believed they were helping out Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Baylor when the old Southwest Conference collapsed.

The perception in Nebraska was that the Big 12's balance of power was held by the South Division, particularly the University of Texas.

Nebraska from day one was against a championship game in football, for fear it could trip up a team bidding for a national title. But even issues ranging from academic admission standards to location of the league office (Dallas) chafed Nebraska.

When the league last week picked Cowboys Stadium to host the next three conference championship football games -- after hosting the 2009 and 2010 games -- Osborne complained that continual treks south are unfair to fans of the North representative.

And no one in Nebraska has forgotten the controversial outcome of last year's conference title game. It looked like the Huskers had beaten the Longhorns 12-10 when the clock ran out, but one second was put back on, allowing Texas to kick the winning field goal. Pelini yelled outside the locker room that Texas was given the extra second so it could go to the BCS championship game.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Leaving the Big 12 for the Big 12?

They need to come up with some new names.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard any info on entrance and or exit fees. As an example, when U of Miami left the Big East for the ACC, they had to pay $2m(IIRC) to the Big East and another $2 million (IIRC) to the ACC.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I haven't heard any info on entrance and or exit fees. As an example, when U of Miami left the Big East for the ACC, they had to pay $2m(IIRC) to the Big East and another $2 million (IIRC) to the ACC.

It'll be interesting to see how this goes but I'm betting no one will be left to sue for the fine.

I think the league auto dissolves at some point and if Texas et al bolt to the Pac 10 or elsewhere the conference may just implode.

I thought it might be odd that if only like 4 schools hold together they can collect huge fines from all the others then later dissolve.

Somewhere I heard the fines were a lot higher than you're talking about, something like 10 million to bolt.

Dunno, but this should be interesting.