NE willing to Trade Jimmy Garoppolo

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
So when the Whiners made Steve Young their starter, the Chiefs were idiots for trading for Montana, right? lol

Brett Farve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that I disagree but do we have some examples that aren't over 20 years old?

Montana was in 1993 (and in fairness was traded so the team could go with the backup)

Favre was in 1992

Young was in 1987

Mark Brunell was in 1995

Drew Bledsoe was traded to Bills in 2002, but again, he was traded so the Pats could go with their "backup".

Alex Smith is probably the most recent example of a team benefiting from a trade for a QB who was in a backup role.

There are probably others, but I can't think of them at this time.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Trades in the NFL are so rare most teams just let the backups walk during FA

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I would rather have Alex Smith over Garoppolo, and pretty sure KC didn't spend a 1st rd pick on Smith, who had a much bigger/better sample size than Jimmy.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm going to do a full-size offseason write up at some point but couldn't look at the stuff on here without responding. The people on here grouping him in with Cassel or Kolb are cracking me up. I'd give two number 1's for him right now. If you want to relate him to a former cards qb the closest comparison would be warner. He will be great. Hopefully it's with us.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I'm going to do a full-size offseason write up at some point but couldn't look at the stuff on here without responding. The people on here grouping him in with Cassel or Kolb are cracking me up. I'd give two number 1's for him right now. If you want to relate him to a former cards qb the closest comparison would be warner. He will be great. Hopefully it's with us.

hahaha people were willing to give up crazy for Kolb too.. You are just judging from hindsight perspective now.

Giving up two number 1 picks for Garopolo is a franchise crippling trade, it is so bad.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
hahaha people were willing to give up crazy for Kolb too.. You are just judging from hindsight perspective now.

Giving up two number 1 picks for Garopolo is a franchise crippling trade, it is so bad.

Not necessarily. It would be a leap of faith to give up a 1st and 4th for JG. Could he turn out to be excellent? I believe that with the right coaches and system, he could be outstanding. To me he is a far better talent than Kevin Kolb ever was. Plus, learning from the likes of BB, TB and JMcD is a real plus. I bet Bill O'Brien in Houston would make the deal---and they wouldn't have to pay for JG until 2018, as JG still has one year left on his rookie deal.

So, let me ask everyone this---how does JG stack up against the top QB prospects in this draft? My own feeling is that he would be #1 on that list. He's the most skilled and the most accurate.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Matt Cassel part deux. No thanks.

EXACTLY what I was going to post.

If I were an NFL exec and the Patriots called with a trade proposal, I would hang up the phone instantly. lol Those guys fleece people for a living they are the best in the business.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Not necessarily. It would be a leap of faith to give up a 1st and 4th for JG. Could he turn out to be excellent? I believe that with the right coaches and system, he could be outstanding. To me he is a far better talent than Kevin Kolb ever was. Plus, learning from the likes of BB, TB and JMcD is a real plus. I bet Bill O'Brien in Houston would make the deal---and they wouldn't have to pay for JG until 2018, as JG still has one year left on his rookie deal.

So, let me ask everyone this---how does JG stack up against the top QB prospects in this draft? My own feeling is that he would be #1 on that list. He's the most skilled and the most accurate.

I agree with this. Now systems can affect how Jimmy stacks up, but in terms of tools, Jimmy has better ones than the options in this draft. He is what you hope Mitch Trubisky looks like in year 2 without the injury.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If BASK thinks he's our next QB, two first rounders would be a good price. If they don't, it wouldn't. I mean, after all the griping and pain at not getting a QBOF, that's not a big price to pay. IF he's the guy.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I know this is a trade versus free agency but this is no different than Houston paying big money for Brock Osweiler. Unproven guy who started a handful of games. Look how foolish Houston looks now. We should have learned our lesson with the Kevin Kolb debacle. When will people learn. The Brett Favre's that are traded and turn into HOF'ers are the very rare exceptions

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Based on what? 2 pro games?

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

You're probably right and he'd be #1 in this draft, but you'd also get him at a reduced cost for 4 years. I haven't seen enough from him to give up that much now, and have to pony up huge cap capital in a year to be able to keep him.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Totally agree Mitch!

Exactly why he's worth it IMO. Like I said earlier, many here bitch about the Cards ignoring drafting a young talented QB & when the opportunity is staring them in the face they run for the hills.

Kizer-a bust waiting to happen & peeps are infatuated with his athletic ability instead of his limited passing skills

Tribesky-sporadic

Watson-probably the best of the class, but regressed this season

Kaaya-slightly better than Blogan Thomas

As you say, Garapolo IMO is better than these kids & already a veteran who's played well. What's your thoughts on McCarren? I think he's as good or better than Dalton & would make a move for him as well

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Absolutely insane asking price. This could be Kevin Kolb II. Unproven player, flashed some ability briefly, everybody creams their jeans for the guy, grossly overpays, then BOOM, major bust. Funkdat.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Totally agree Mitch!

Exactly why he's worth it IMO. Like I said earlier, many here bitch about the Cards ignoring drafting a young talented QB & when the opportunity is staring them in the face they run for the hills.

Kizer-a bust waiting to happen & peeps are infatuated with his athletic ability instead of his limited passing skills

Tribesky-sporadic

Watson-probably the best of the class, but regressed this season

Kaaya-slightly better than Blogan Thomas

As you say, Garapolo IMO is better than these kids & already a veteran who's played well. What's your thoughts on McCarren? I think he's as good or better than Dalton & would make a move for him as well

You and I loved JG coming into draft. Still do. Love the smarts and the accuracy. The only thing I question about him in the NFL is durability. Could be very Tony Romo like in many ways.

McCarron I like too. Doesn't back down and played big in the biggest games in college. I was surprised he wasn't more highly rated coming into the draft. His Bama offenses were more QB reliant than they are now.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brett Farve

Bret Favre didn't see too much of the field while in Atlanta(he had 4 pass attempts). I'm talking about back ups who saw significant field time and caught the eye of the media and the fans. Take Scott Mitchell. Marino goes down and he has a few impressive starts then lights it up in the WLAF and all of a sudden he's a hot free agent. Goes to Detroit and has one decent season.

OP
OP
cardncubfan
Reaction score
I would hate to see someone else gets him & he becomes all-pro. The kid is going to be good. This years 1st & next years 4th would be a good price imho.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think the reason they are putting the feelers out on him is because Brady wants to play for awhile (which might be 3-5 more years) & he's coming up on free agency & won't be able to keep him. Much like Jones & Collins...they want to get something instead of nothing. Too bad the Cards were too stupid to trade Floyd when they knew damn well he wasn't going to be back in AZ in '17. That's what makes the Pats & Bellicheat the best team in football. He's the best HC the NFL has EVER seen IMO n

When Brady is 42 he'll still have two years left and they'll trade Jacoby Brissett for a 1st. :lol: