NBA Trade Deadline news and rumors 2019-20 season

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Corollary question: Is anyone on this board okay with suffering another rebuilding process of at least 4-5 years without so much as a single winning season, let alone playoff appearance, to show for it, and with the Suns at that point setting the all-time NBA record for longest playoff drought?...
Well if they don't win atleast forty next year it sort of points to another failed rebuild so you'd kind of have to try again

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well if they don't win atleast forty next year it sort of points to another failed rebuild so you'd kind of have to try again

Or maybe, you know, actually get talent next to him so he doesn't have to do so darn much himself...

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2982334/tj-warren

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3032978/dario-saric

Saric's rebounding numbers are better, but still poor for a power forward. Everything else across the board, including PER, isn't even close. And Saric very well might be the worst defensive 4 or 5 in the league. He is a sieve.

And Bender wasn't the starting center last year.

I would rather have Saric at 4 then Warren at 4. I haven't seen the pacers play but if they are starting Warren, Turner and Sabonis, he's not defending a 4 or 5. He's a fine player but he should either be starting at the wing or coming off the bench.

Baynes is better than Tyson Chandler, Frank K is better than Bender.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Or maybe, you know, actually get talent next to him so he doesn't have to do so darn much himself...

In your world Booker is demanding a trade in the winter of 2021. Should they build around the guy who supposedly wants to be the 2nd or 3rd best player on the T Wolves?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In your world Booker is demanding a trade in the winter of 2021. Should they build around the guy who supposedly wants to be the 2nd or 3rd best player on the T Wolves?

I would at least give building around Booker a fair shot.

Better than building around Ayton and a bunch of Cam Johnsons...

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would rather have Saric at 4 then Warren at 4. I haven't seen the pacers play but if they are starting Warren, Turner and Sabonis, he's not defending a 4 or 5. He's a fine player but he should either be starting at the wing or coming off the bench.

Baynes is better than Tyson Chandler, Frank K is better than Bender.

Saric is a quality rotation player. I don't think he should be a starter but the guy belongs in the league, which is more than you can say for a lot of the Suns players last season.

A really underrated aspect of Saric's game is his passing. He has some nice heads up passing plays, he set up Ayton on a slick pass early, he flicked a beauty to Booker early in the 3rd.

If he could shoot better from 3, he'd be a solid player.

For all the griping about athleticism in this team, statistically, what we really lack is outside shooting. We are great at generating open looks and bad at converting them. Saric, unfortunately, plays into that. I bet the vast majority of his 3 point attempts this year have been open looks.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Saric is a quality rotation player. I don't think he should be a starter but the guy belongs in the league, which is more than you can say for a lot of the Suns players last season.

A really underrated aspect of Saric's game is his passing. He has some nice heads up passing plays, he set up Ayton on a slick pass early, he flicked a beauty to Booker early in the 3rd.

For all the griping about athleticism in this team, statistically, what we really lack is outside shooting. We are great at generating open looks and bad at converting them. Saric, unfortunately, plays into that. I bet the vast majority of his 3 point attempts this year have been open looks.

So basically a softer, no-defense version of Boris Diaw. Sorry, but even if that somehow belongs in the league, I don't want that on my team.

Meanwhile, considering that James Jones, other than with respect to Rubio, focused almost entirely on outside shooting in his offseason acquisitions (Cam Johnson, Ty Jerome, Saric, Kaminsky and Baynes) to the detriment of pretty much all other aspects of the game, it is a sad testament to his roster formation and judgment of talent that outside shooting remains a fundamental weakness of ours.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I totally agree with this.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Exactly who do you want on your team?

For starters, someone who actually has the physical and athletic ability to actually play in the NBA.

In terms of a specific recommendation for power forward? Aaron Gordon. I also was pushing for the acquisition of Julius Randle when there were reports in the offseason that the Suns were interested in him. Same goes for Thaddeus Young.

It is also no secret that I wanted Brandon Clarke at 11 in the 2019 draft and would even have been okay with him at 6, though I considered him a reach at 6. I would have also been okay with Jaxson Hayes at 6. Clarke has a PER of 22.39, Hayes has a PER of 18.40. Cam Johnson, by contrast, has a PER of 11.87. Admittedly, in terms of defensive win share rating, Cam Johnson and Brandon Clarke are ranked right next to each other at 241 and 242 (Hayes is at 215), so perhaps Clarke isn't the defender I thought he would be, though he still has more natural physical ability to develop as a defender than Cam has.

BTW, Saric is ranked #304 in the NBA in defensive rating.

Ayton is our only Top 50 defender, coming in at #20. Rubio is at #63, and Bridges is at #96. Oubre is #175. Booker is #191. Kaminsky was #231. Carter is #251. Tyler Johnson is #272. Baynes is #290. Diallo is #396. Ty Jerome is #463.

I think this clears up why Jerome, Diallo, Carter (whose defense isn't as good as we thought) and Tyler Johnson are largely glued to the end of the bench, though it doesn't explain why Baynes nonetheless gets starts over Ayton.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trevor Ariza gets traded again.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Portland has traded Kent Bazemore and Anthony Tolliver and two second- round picks to Sacramento for Trevor Ariza, Wendell Gabriel and Caleb Swanigan, source tells ESPN.

1:40 PM - 18 Jan 2020

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blazers reportedly save $12.3M by doing the trade.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We have three expiring contracts in Tyler Johnson, Aron Baynes and Dario Saric, and a fourth if you count that Kaminsky's second year isn't guaranteed.

Our team is going nowhere, and even if it were going somewhere, none of these players is contributing anything.

Why in the world is James Jones not at least making trades like the Kings here to accumulate assets for the future?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have three expiring contracts in Tyler Johnson, Aron Baynes and Dario Saric, and a fourth if you count that Kaminsky's second year isn't guaranteed.

Our team is going nowhere, and even if it were going somewhere, none of these players is contributing anything.

Why in the world is James Jones not at least making trades like the Kings here to accumulate assets for the future?

Thinning our roster, taking on future salary... all in exchange for some 2nd round picks!

Brilliant play. I am so bummed we didn't get in on that!

The Kings are are bumbling fools. As bad and meddling as Sarver is, Vivek is worse.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dedmon anyone?

Kings continue to search for an avenue to unload center Dewayne Dedmon, who's in the first season of a three-year, $40M contract. Dedmon, fined for publicly requesting a trade, is averaging 13.8 minutes in 26 games.

2:40 PM - 18 Jan 2020

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dedmon anyone?

Kings continue to search for an avenue to unload center Dewayne Dedmon, who's in the first season of a three-year, $40M contract. Dedmon, fined for publicly requesting a trade, is averaging 13.8 minutes in 26 games.

2:40 PM - 18 Jan 2020

Good lord no. They're going to have to attach picks to that contract to move it.

Again, the Kings are a disaster of a franchise.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good lord no. They're going to have to attach picks to that contract to move it.

The Suns were reportedly interested in Dedmon in the off season. Any way we get Bogdan included?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How about Saric, Kaminsky and Tyler Johnson for Dedmon, Holmes and Bogdanovic?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

And yet they are ahead of us in the standings, further along in their rebuild and in a better cap situation.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And yet they are ahead of us in the standings, further along in their rebuild and in a better cap situation.

Wow... a trifecta of wildly incorrect statements, 2 of which are flat out factually wrong with zero objectivity.

Astounding, even by your measure.

Take a bow.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Thinning our roster, taking on future salary... all in exchange for some 2nd round picks!

Brilliant play. I am so bummed we didn't get in on that!

The Kings are are bumbling fools. As bad and meddling as Sarver is, Vivek is worse.

I didn't mean that exact trade. I meant the concept of turning our expiring deals into future assets by taking on longer term deals, since free agents other than MLE types really don't want to come here, and the cap space is just going to be wasted otherwise.

Instead, James Jones is doing what he does best - Sitting on his hands and waiting to make another horrible mistake due to his entirely reactive approach.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Knicks trade Randle for anything reasonable but a Bobby Portis trade with them seems doable.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
The Suns were reportedly interested in Dedmon in the off season. Any way we get Bogdan included?

No way. Bogdan is gonna be in Dallas next year. He and Luka are good friends, and they would be deadly together. Not sure how Cuban is gonna make it happen, but Bogdan will be playing with Luka next year.