NBA Trade Deadline news and rumors 2019-20 season

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Just mentioned on KTAR that the Timberwolves trading Teague could very well be a precursor to them trading for D'Angelo Russell. If that happens before the Trade Deadline, expect Booker to ask to be traded there no later than the 2020 Offseason...

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just mentioned on KTAR that the Timberwolves trading Teague could very well be a precursor to them trading for D'Angelo Russell. If that happens before the Trade Deadline, expect Booker to ask to be traded there no later than the 2020 Offseason...

Winning cures all. If the Suns make some moves and/or start winning some games this season he isn't going anywhere. If they even pull off a trade for a major piece this off season he probably stays. If this team continues to lose and can't make a trade? I think it's a safe bet he is going to be unhappy and want out of here. I have been saying for months we have a window to turn things around or he will demand a trade.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
with what to offer? outside of Towns, most of that team is dogshit.

Andrew Wiggins and draft picks. Possibly Robert Covington.

We have more, and at this point I think we have to go hard after at least one of KAT and Russell. It is now almost certainly our only hope of keeping Booker here.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
with what to offer? outside of Towns, most of that team is dogshit.
Report: T’Wolves want D’Angelo Russell

Minnesota has long coveted Russell, according to Charania. The All-Star point guard is friends with Karl-Anthony Towns and would provide a legitimate No. 2 alongside the All-NBA center. Shipping Teague and Graham to Atlanta frees up a roster spot and creates a need in the backcourt.

Per Charania:

The Wolves have long been intrigued by Russell, dating back to their courtship of him this summer before he signed a max deal with the Warriors. Russell and Karl-Anthony Towns are close friends, and the point guard would give the team a shooter and playmaker at that position that they have sorely lacked.

But, according to the report, discussions with the Warriors have “yielded no traction” as Golden State has displayed little interest in moving Russell
https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The wolves are not trading KAT and does anyone here actually WANT Russell?

Forget the Booker aspect; in a vacuum, would you want the Suns to trade for Russell? I sure as hell wouldn't. You don't trade for a cap crippling contract to appease a player. I don't see a Booker/Russell back court as particularly functional anyway.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Forget the Booker aspect; in a vacuum, would you want the Suns to trade for Russell? I sure as hell wouldn't. You don't trade for a cap crippling contract to appease a player. I don't see a Booker/Russell back court as particularly functional anyway.

Then if either the Wolves find a way to acquire Russell or the Warriors find a way to acquire Towns, we need to resign ourselves to the fact that Booker will want out in the very near future.

With that in mind, this is an outside-the-box idea, and it would require the Warriors to want to be the ones to unite Booker, Russell and Towns, it is a major risk for the Suns in terms of health of the centerpiece coming back here, and it recognizes officially that this season is lost (which, in my opinion, it is anyway), but the following trade would work under the CBA:

Warriors get:

Devin Booker
Aron Baynes
Dario Saric

Suns Get:

Klay Thompson
Willie Cauley-Stein
Alec Burks
Eric Paschall

Why the Warriors would do it: Giving up Thompson is a lot, but Booker is 6 years younger, is healthier, and has the same long-term potential, thereby potentially extending the Warriors' window, and a re-signed Baynes could be a nice role-playing piece next to Russell, Curry, Booker and Towns (who would likely be acquired using a re-signed Draymond Green as a centerpiece). Saric could also be a floor-spacer with that group or just go back to Europe where he belongs. His contract is off the books at the end of the year, anyway. Warriors starting line-up would likely feature three guards (which Kerr seems to like to use, anyway), Towns and a role playing defensive power forward, such as Kevon Looney or Omari Spellman. They also open up a roster spot to bring back Marquese Chriss, whom apparently they didn't want to cut, but for the fact that they needed the roster spot to keep two-way player Damion Lee.

Why the Suns would do it: Booker is in his fifth year, and the Suns have gone nowhere with him as their #1. Booker is getting visibly frustrated, and if any other team ends up having both Russell and Towns on the roster, say goodbye to Booker, as he will ask out of Phoenix. While much older than Booker, and while having significant health concerns in terms of whether he can come back at full strength from his injury, Thompson if he can come back at full strength is a proven star, can score with the best of them, can defend, is not the type to demand a trade anywhere and can help teach the rest of the team how to win. Burks can fill the starting shooting guard spot for the remainder of the season and audition for a back-up role behind Thompson next year. Cauley-Stein provides some interior defense and rebounding and is signed for dirt cheap through next season, and Paschall is a potential nice developmental piece as a stretch 4 and is under contract for two more seasons. This season would be a lost cause, but in my opinion it already is. So NEXT year, the Suns' starting line-up would be Rubio, Thompson, Oubre or Bridges, Paschall or their Lottery Pick and Ayton, with a bench that includes Bridges or Oubre, Cauley-Stein, and whichever of Paschall and their Lottery Pick doesn't start.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wanted Russell.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Did you want Russell to appease Booker or did you want Russell because you think he is a max player worth building around?

I can't speak for Chris, but for me a little of both. I think that in terms of the point guards the Suns had a realistic shot of acquiring, Russell fit the bill about as well as anyone. He can score, initiate the offense, and take ball handling pressure off Booker, he is good enough such that opponents need to account for him in order to defend him (certainly more so than Rubio). His defense is relatively weak, but he has the physical tools to defend well enough and just needs to be coached up in that department. While Rubio is certainly a superior team defender, Russell is actually far superior to Rubio in terms of ability to stay in front of his man and guard against dribble penetration. Rubio is a better passer, but Russell is a much better shooter. And Russell fits the timeline better.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man the Wolves are stupid. I remember over the Summer when they were so cocky that they'd sign Russell, only to realize no one wants to take their crappy contracts.

Maybe the Wolves are stupid like a Fox. This is a way to keep Towns happy and possibly put them in the mix for Booker down the road.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only a gut feeling but I think the Suns may be waiting to get Kevin Love for expiring contracts.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe the Wolves are stupid like a Fox. This is a way to keep Towns happy and possibly put them in the mix for Booker down the road.
IMO, still stupid. Their contracts make them essentially impossible to unite as a trio.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wish i could say I'd quit the team, but I know that's not true.

I would not be thrilled but it sounds so much like something James Jones would do. They are very close.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Only a gut feeling but I think the Suns may be waiting to get Kevin Love for expiring contracts.

That would be a typical James Jones move, would add to our problem of lack of athleticism and defense, particularly at the 4, and would cement that problem for us for at least 3 more seasons...

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you want Russell to appease Booker or did you want Russell because you think he is a max player worth building around?

I believe he is a good third player on a good team. He keeps defenses from doubling Booker.

Is that worth the max? Probably not but top tier guys just aren't coming to this franchise right now so may as well gamble on a young guy

Booker's relationship is just a bonus

I also wanted to trade the #4 pick for Kyrie, which is basically much better Russell

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison